CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Penrhyncoch (h) | Cardiff Met (a) | Denbigh Town (a) | Ruthin Town (a) | Caernarfon (a) | Llanfair (h) |

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 7 January

CPD Porthmadog...................4
Chris Jones 55’
Josh Davies 67’, 80’, 83’

Llanfair United ......................2
James Davies 48’, 85’

Josh Davies came from the bench to score a hat-trick in the space of 16 second half minutes to secure the three points for Port. All six goals came in the second half, after a first half where Port dominated the possession but failed to open up the visitors defence. It was in fact Llanfair who broke the deadlock with with a goal early in the second period, only for Chris Jones to restore parity 7 minutes later. The game, however, did not spring to life until Josh Davies was introduced with debutant Sion Bradley also coming from the bench to have an impact. Bizarrely, in a game which was hardly over physical, a player from each side saw red and the referee also awarded two penalties!

Following some early sparring Cai Jones after 9 miutes tested keeper Chris Brown with a good angled shot after breaking to the left of the box. Port dominated possession from then on and apart from a a run by Andrew Hughes on to a Paul Griffiths free kick, home keeper Richard Harvey was not troubled in the first half. In contrast Llanfair keeper Chris Brown was often in the thick of the action. Twice in the space of three minutes he pulled off good saves with his legs. He scrambled away a well struck 20 yard effort from Gareth Jones Evans after 20 minutes and when Cai Jones played in Chris Jones on the right the keeper repeated his last line of defence. Despite the possession Port were unable to take advantage but it looked as though they were being given a helping hand, when referee Iwan Griffiths pointed to the spot when Joe Vaughan brought down Rob Evans well away from the action. But it was keeper Brown again to the rescue, saving from Chris Jones with his trailing leg. Despite the miss Port continued to threaten with Rob Evans, Chris Jones, Cai Jones and Gareth Jones Evans all going close. But at the interval Llanfair were the happier of the two teams with the game remaining scoreless.

Three minutes into the second half and things got worse for Port as Llanfair showed that they possessed a real danger man in James Davies. The forward stole in at the back post to meet Marc Jones’s free kick and find the net with a low shot. Shortly after Llanfair threatened again when a Joe Vaughan flick went close. The goal however stung Port into action and within seven minutes they were back on level terms. Josh Banks crossed from wide left and, for once, the keeper failed to gather and Chris Jones netted with a low shot from 10 yards. But Llanfair were undetterred and Richard Harvey needed to pull off a good save to deny the dangerous James Davies capitalising on a misplaced pass. It was then that Josh Davies took a hand in the events of the afternoon and on 67 minutes a fine Port move put them ahead for the first time. Chris Jones started the move and a clever back heel from Cai Jones followed, to put Josh Davies through and the striker netted the first of his hat trick from 12 yards. Then on 71 minutes came the first sending off with Llanfair’s Luke Gethin receiving his second yellow card and marching orders. Port looked in control even before this and it was no surprise when Josh Davies scored his second, heading in Sion Bradley’s corner kick unchallenged at the back post. Three minutes later Josh completed his hat-trick and again Sion Bradley had a hand in affairs. He broke dangerously into the box only to be brought down by Spencer. Josh Davies stepped up to convert from the spot with his usual accuracy. But despite being down to 10 men and 4-1 in arrears the visitors conjured up a good response. James Davies was again key, combining well with Andrew Hughes down the left and following an interchange of passes netted with a shot which culred away from Richard Harvey inside the far post. That completed the scoring but the last of the action was a second yellow for Port’s Dan Roberts.

With Gresford and Guilsfield both losing, Port move up into 4th place in the table. The double over Llanfair was achieved despite missing Ceri James, Julian Williams, Gruff Williams and Ywain Gwynedd so a really good result.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Tom Clarke, Gareth jones Evans, Chris Jones (Jamie McDaid 74’), Rob Evans, Joe Williams (Josh Davies 53’), Cai Jones, Paul Lewis (Sion Bradley 64’). Unused subs Tyler French (gk), Craig Papirnyk. Red: Dan Roberts (2 yellows), Tom Clarke 51’.

LLANFAIR: Chris Brown, Alun Hughes, Marc Jones, Paul Griffiths, Matthew Spencer. Steve Andrew, Joe Vaughan, Luke Gethin, Nashan Blake, James Davies, Andrew Hughes. Subs: Ryan Davies, Jamie Waldron, Michael Brown.

Referee: Iwan Griffiths
Attendance: 202.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Tuesday, 27 December

Caernarfon Town ...................2
Jamie Breese 10’
Danny Brookwell 62'

CPD Porthmadog....................0

Caernarfon once again edged a keen competitve and largely even contest in front of a magnificent holiday crowd of 1247. Porthmadog will leave the Oval disappointed that they failed to turn a large amount of possession into clear goal chances. It was a case of the home team taking their chances while, in an otherwise fluent performance, Port lacked conviction in the final third. On reflection Port will also be disappointed at the manner in which the two goals were conceded; the first a set piece free header for Jamie Breese and the second a breakaway Danny Brookwell goal, with the forward doing well to get his shot away despite a determined tackle.

Port started strongly and in the first minute a move which started on the edge of their own penalty area ended with Josh Davies slipping in Gareth Jones Evans on the right of the box but the shot drifted wide of the post. Almost immediately a poor goal kick allowed in Joe Williams and keeper Ramsay needed to be off his line quickly to prevent what would have been an embarrassing goal. Port continued to dominate the early proceedings and on 5 minutes Josh Davies flicked on Gareth Jones Evans corner and, when Chris Jones fired from the edge of the box, a fumble by keeper Ramsay caused another moment of anxiety in the home ranks. Caernarfon conceded a couple of free kicks in dangerous positions but these came to nothing. Then against the run of the early play the home side went ahead. Jamie Breese rose unchallenged in the centre of the box to meet Nathan Craig’s free kick and head past Richard Harvey. After an eventful first ten minutes the game settled into a more routine pattern. There were few chances on goal with both defences standing firm and, though Port had more of the possession, they failed to open up the home defence with Gareth Edwards dealing comfortably with all aerial crosses. Port did however come close just before the interval when keeper Ramsay was called upon to make an excellent save to tip Julian Williams’ curling 20 yard free kick over his bar. Caernarfon’s only efforts on goal in the opening half came from pacy winger Jamie Roberts who early in the half broke down the left but fired wide and midway through the half the same player found space to break forward from midfield but lifted his shot over the bar. The scoreline at half time was a disappointment for Porthmadog supporters who must have felt that they had the best of the play in the opening half.

Though the second half saw Port enjoy plenty of possession again they failed to create many chances and it was the home side who looked the more likely to find the net. Port however had a great early opportunity when a good long ball from Gruff Williams put Cai jones, a half-time substitute, in behind the home defence and though he controlled well before breaking into the box his finish went wide of the upright. Following this early threat Caernarfon pushed forward looking to extend their lead. Darren Thomas broke free down the right but lifted his shot over the bar. Minutes later Richard Harvey pulled off a good save to keep out a well struck Nathan Craig free kick. Danny Brookwell then broke down the left but his shot was blocked at the near post. Just after the hour mark Caernarfon increased their lead. With Port pushing forward in search of an equaliser they found themsleves stretched at the back and Danny Brookwell broke at pace down the right. He cut inside past one defender and, despite a strong tackle on the edge of the box, did really well to get a shot away and beat Richard Harvey just inside the far post. Play now became end to end and Josh Davies, for Port, controlled well inside the box but lifted his shot over the bar, while at the other end a misjudged back pass for Port looked a certain goal for sub Kevin Lloyd but Richard Harvey was off his line quickly, to make an excellent block. As play entered its final 20 minutes Port mounted another well worked attack with Gareth Jones Evans prompting well from midfield as he had done throughout. Josh Banks crossed from the byline and the ball reached Cai Jones and a well struck shot from 16 yards required another good save from Ramsey tipping over the bar. The game ran out of steam in the final stages as the home team kept hold of their advantage to secure three important points in the title chase. Port were left to rue their lack of a final ball when they enjoyed so much first half possession.

Not for the first time Caernarfon and Port have shown that real community clubs can attract large support, something the plastic manufactured outfits can never match.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Tom Clarke, Iddon Price, Gareth Jones Evans, Chris Jones (Jamie McDaid 70’), Julian Williams, Josh Davies, Joe Williams (Cai Jones 46’). Unused subs: Steve Bratt, Craig Papirnyk, Tyler French (gk). Yellow: Iddon Price.

CAERNARFON: Alex Ramsay, Joe Williams, Nathan Craig, Clive Williams, Gareth Edwards. Kevin Roberts (Rob Jones 72’), Jamie Roberts (Leigh Craven 85’), Jay Gibbs, Jamie Breese, Darren Thomas, Danny Brookwell (Kevin Lloyd 67’). Unused sub: Danny Sullivan. Yellow: Kevin Roberts 33’, Joe Williams 33’, Gareth Edwards 44’.

Referee: Rob Jenkins (Guilsfield)
Attendance: 1,247.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 16 December

Ruthin Town ...................1
Ilan Hughes 90’

CPD Porthmadog.............2
Chris Jones 68’
Julian Williams 90’(+4)

A super strike deep into added time from leading scorer Julian Williams secured a deserved three points for Port. In the 68th minute a Chris Jones goal had at last broken down the stubborn Ruthin resistance but despite going into the lead, it looked as though a last minute penalty had given the home team a point. It was a game played almost entirely in the Ruthin half of the field, as the home side set their stall out from the start, defending in numbers and, in attack, hoping that the occasional break might produce a goal. The plan had worked well last weekend as Ruthin had gained an unlikely three points at home to Holywell but thanks to a great piece of individual skill the negative tactics failed to repeat this success.

Port could have gone ahead in the 3rd minute when home keeper Dylan Jones failed to hold a Gruff Williams free kick but no one was able to react quickly enough to steer the loose ball into the net. For the remainder of the half it was a case of Port being frustrated by the packed home rearguard. After 15 minutes there was a shot from Rob Evans which failed to test the keeper and a couple of minutes later Joe Williams, under pressure in the box, steered his effort wide. Port pressure continued as a dangerous Josh Davies cross had to be cleared over the bar for a corner. A series of corners and free kicks produced nothing and with little room available in the Ruthin box, the best Port efforts were shots from outside the box. Twice Iddon Price warmed the keeper’s hands with well struck efforts, the second of which Dylan Jones needed to produce a really good save. As half time neared, Port increased their efforts to break down the stubborn defence but the keeper pulled off another good save to keep out Tom Clarke’s back post header and followed this to save a close range effort from Joe Williams. Any Ruthin efforts came on the counterattack with Richard Harvey needing to get out quickly to deny Jordan McAteer after 20 minutes and when the home team forced a rare corner Harvey saved well from the same player. Later in the half Richard Harvey was called on again to come off his line this time to deny Osian Davies at the expense of a corner. It remained goalless at the interval and clearly the home team were happy that their plan was working.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first. There was a good Rob Evans break down the right but the keeper was able to push away his angled shot. The introduction of Julian Williams made a difference and he came close when he fastened on to a Josh Banks cross to fire over the bar from the edge of the box. The introduction of Cai Jones as a second sub further improved the attacking options as he held up the ball well, linking up and bringing other attackers into the game. It was the subs who combined down the left to create Port’s opening goal and Julian Williams’ deep cross found Chris Jones running in at the back post to fire a fine low shot from 15 yards into the far corner of the net. The goal relieved the tension amongst the travelling support and Port now looked to make the game safe with a second goal. Tom Clarke came close when he met a Rob Evans corner and Jamie McDaid should have done better when he broke behind the home defence. As the game entered the final ten minutes Ruthin were at last having to push forward. They were awarded a controversial free kick 20 yards out, one of many by today’s referee, which Will Ashley crashed against the crossbar. A minute later and the Port goal was under threat again as Will Owen crossed dangerously from the right and Richard Harvey did well to cover Garmon Hafal’s back post header. In the last minute of normal time the home side were awarded another free kick which Ilan Hughes lifted dangerously into the Port box and in the scramble which ensued Rob Evans was adjudged to have handled when clearing the ball off the line. He received his marching orders for the offence becoming the first Port player to be sent off this season. Ilan Hughes levelled the scores from the penalty spot for a delighted home team. But Port heads refused to go down, despite such a frustrating afternoon. Deep into injury Julian Williams became the match winner, breaking down the left, virtually to the byline, before unleashing a shot, hit with power, from what seemed an impossible angle, which keeper Dylan Jones managed to touch but was unable to keep out. In the end persistence paid and justice had been done.

The second successive win on the road, together with defeats for Caersws and Guilsfield, lift Port into 4th place in the table and they now have third placed Flint in their sights. They will now prepare for a 3rd away fixture, the much anticipated holiday derby at the Oval, which no doubt will be a very different game.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams. Josh Banks, Ceri James (Julian Williams 54’), Dan Roberts, Tom Clarke, Chris Jones (Jamie McDaid 75’), Rob Evans, Iddon Price, Josh Davies, Joe Williams (Cai Jones 53’). Unused subs: Steve Bratt, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Josh Banks 25’, Tom Clarke 61’.

RUTHIN: Dylan Jones, Craig Wilkinson, Jake Newell, Will Ashley, Danny Jellicoe, Ilan Hughes, Pat Hinchcliffe, Osian Davies, Jordan McAteer, Will Owen, Garmon Hafal. Used subs: Chris Williams, Llyr Morris, Luke Appleby. Unused: Matthew Davies, Matthew Evans.

Referee: Liam Gray (Rhyl)

Gareth Williams.
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, December 10th

Denbigh Town ...................4
Aaron Hassall 5’
Alan Bull 54’
Andrew Swarbrick 89’’
Jake Eyre 90 +1

CPD Porthmadog.................6
Josh Davies 12’, 30’. 33’, 88’ (p)
Joe Williams 18’
Rob Evans 21’

A crazy game which Port looked to have sewn up by the interval with a 5-1 advantage, but a poor defensive performance in the second half took some of the shine off the convincing first half rout. Denbigh willl see it in a totally opposite light, where they defended poorly in the first half and only came to life after the break with the introduction of subs Craig Pri tchard and Andrew Swarbrick. The game was a personal triumph for striker Josh Davies who took out his frustrations over an injury ravaged season with four goals against his hometown club.

Port, looking to wipe out the memory of a Welsh Cup defeat, did not enjoy the best of starts for 5 minutes into the game, a long ball down the right put Jake Eyre in behind the Port defence and all that was needed was a simple ball inside to an unmarked Aaron Hassall who finished clinically with only Richard Harvey to beat. Port heads did not go down and by the 12th minute they were back on level terms when Josh Davies took advantage of an excellent through ball from Gareth Jones Evans, turned well and fired a low shot to net from 18 yards. Suddenly it was all Port with the new front partneship of Josh Davies and Joe Williams linking up well. They combined for the second goal with Josh Davies breaking along the byline and, in a tight situation, squeezed a cross which Joe Williams converted from close range. Three minutes on and Port were 3-1 up when a super strike from Rob Evans, a volley from 18 yards, capitalised on good work from Joe and Josh on the left. Port were now opening up the home defence at will and Josh Davies completed his hat-trick with two goals in the space of three minutes. He met a Gareth Jones Evans corner at the back post to head in and the Joe and Josh partnership was in action again as Joe Williams played in a low ball from the left for Josh to net from close range. 5-1 to Port at the interval as Denbigh rarely threatened after the opening minutes though their best forward Hassall, lifted a shot over the bar near the end of the half.

Events of the first half did not prepare travelling supporters for what was to be a contrasting and disappointing Port second half performance. Denbigh manager Eddie Maurice Jones brought on subs Craig Pritchard and Andrew Swarbrick and this led to a much improved home performance. While the Port performance lacked the drive and intensity of the first half as their play had a job done feel to it. Denbigh, on the other hand, began to find more space especially along the flanks. Nine minutes into the half hey won a free kick 20 yards out and reduced the deficit when Alan Bull netted with a cracker into the top corner of the net. Port could have responded to make it six on 57 minutes when home keeper John Hodkin scrambled a Gruff Williams’ shot away but Josh Davies, who was never out of the action, followed up only to see his effort strike the bar and somehow stay out. But the home side were now quicker to the ball and it needed a good save from Richard Harvey to keep out Alan Bull. Soon after Harvey was again in the thick of the action, going down well to save at his near post, as the dangerous Craig Pritchard cut along the byline on the right. Though Joe and Josh were less prominent now, Joe Williams drew an excellent save from Hodkin and Josh Davies looked to have scored his fourth when he dummied his marker only to see his well struck shot hit the foot of the post. On 88 minutes Port restored their four goal advantage when Julian williams was brought down by defender Tony Davies just inside the area. Josh Davies netted his 4th from the spot. But even now we could not relax completely, as Denbigh were still not done. Twice, in the closing minutes, they found the net which, from their point of view at least, gave the scoreline an air of respectability. Unmarked at the back post Andrew Swarbrick headed home after Port were caught out by a quickly taken free kick. Then, in injury time, Port conceded a 4th goal when Jake Eyre found far too much room on the left and netted with an angled shot.

A game of two halves maybe, but scoring six goals on the road is quite a performance and the three points lift Port to 6th place in the table and, more significantly, just a point behind Flint and Guilsfield who occupy the 4th and 5th places.

It was great to see Josh Davies back to his best, following so many injury problems during the past two seasons. Today was reminiscent of his predatory goal scoring during season of 2014/15.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Iddon Price, Gruff Williams, Ceri James (Steve Bratt 65’), Dan Roberts, Tom Clarke, Chris Jones (Jamie McDaid 61’), Rob Evans, Gareth Jones Evans (Julian Williams 78’), Joe Williams, Josh Davies. Unused subs: Cai Jones, Tyler French(gk). Yellow: Rob Evans 52’, Richard Harvey 76’.

DENBIGH: John Hodkin, Jake Reilly, Billy Holmes, Liam Smith, Tony Davies, Kieran Gaul, Gareth Partridge, Owen Davies, Aaron Hassall, Alan Bull, Jake Eyre. Used subs: Craig Pritchard, Andrew Swarbrick, Matty Hughes. Unused: Phil Molyneux, Anthony Williams.

Referee: Alex Livesey (Wrexham).

Gareth Williams.
JD Welsh Cup -Saturday, 3rd December

Cardiff Met ...................4
Adam Roscrow 33’(p)
Charlie Corsby 43’
Will Evans 44’
Eliot Evans 47’

CPD Porthmadog............0

It was not a day for the underdog at the Cyncoed Campus today, as the in-form Welsh Premier club controlled the game throughout, with their confident slick pass and run football, perfectly suited for the 3G surface. Three goals in the space of four minutes -two just before the interval and one straight after- effectively finished the game off as a competition. And it is the Met who will be in the hat for the 4th round of a competition, where they will certainly be amongst the favourites to win the Welsh Cup.

It was almost a disastrous start for Port as their opponents won the ball from the kick off and almost pulled off a sucker punch as they broke through the Port midfield with the kind of passing which was to be a feature of the game. The move ended with Jordan Lam crashing a shot against the bar from 18 yards. Port took the warning to heart and, for the next half hour with minimum possession, they managed to neutralise the opposition with Ceri James battling to establish a foothold in the game from central midfield. During this spell there were few worries for Port keeper Tyler French. Port managed the occasional sortie forward, and from one of these Julian Willams cut in from the right but home keeper Will Fuller dealt comfortably with the shot. Things started to go wrong for Port in the 33rd minute when the Met were awarded a penalty, on the advice of a linesman, apparently for an off the ball barge in the box. Adam Roscrow converted from the spot despite Tyler French’s valiant effort getting both hands to the ball. The Met were now in the driving seat and by half-time the lead had increased to 3-0. A pacy break down the left saw Lam and Roscrow combine to find Charlie Corsby in space in the box. He curled a fine shot just inside Tyler French’s far post. The rampant students piled on the pressure and a minute later came the third, when Will Evans lobbed a dipping cross over the keeper. The game had been turned on its head by half time.

From the start of the second period the Met cintinued to push forward again and within a minute had stretched their lead to four goals. A break down the left by Jordan Lam with the ball being worked across the field to find Eliot Evans in plenty of space on the right of the box. He pushed forward unchallenged to drive low past Tyler French from 15 yards. That proved to be the end of the scoring but the Met spurned several chances to go even further ahead. After 54 minutes Roscrow burst through on the left but French saved well at the expense of a corner and the same player lifted a shot over the bar with only the keeper to beat. To their credit, despite the four goal deficit, Port did not throw in the towel but kept going, with Julian and Joe Williams making good runs behind the Met defence. The two combined to create a chance for Joe Williams whose shot from 16 yards was pushed away by keeper Fuller. A Josh Banks through ball provided an opportunity for Rob Evans but the keeper was out quickly to clear the danger. Both Julian Williams and Rob Evans had late efforts but failed to hit the target. The Met came again towards the end and three times Tyler French pulled off excellent saves to prevent further scores. The most remarkable of these was to keep out Dan Spencer’s injury time penalty. This second soft penalty was awarded for an apparent trip just inside the box but French saved well throwing himself to his right and saving low down.

Port were outplayed by a talented, skilful and fit Cardiff Met. They must not dewll on this defeat as it is back to the league for them with a series of away fixtures, where they badly need to pick up points to make a move up the table.

PORTHMADOG: Tyler French, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Tom Clarke 66’), Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Gareth Jones Evans (Jamie McDaid 60’), Chris Jones, Cai Jones (Joe Williams 46’), Julian Williams, Rob Evans. Unused subs: Josh Davies, Richard Harvey (gk)

CARDIFF MET: Will Fuller, Joel Letori, Bradley Woolridge, Emlyn Lewis, Ben Bowler, Eliot Evans,Liam Black (Matt Taylors 52’), Will Evans, Adam Roscrow, Charlie Corsby. Jordan Lam (Dan Spencer 68’). Also used: Chris Baker. Unused subs:Dan Evans, Harry Owen.

Referee: Dean John (Swansea)
Attendance: 156

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 26 November

CPD Porthmadog...................1
Iddon Price 88’

CPD Penrhyncoch..................1
Ian Evans 59’

Port salvaged a point, thanks to a late equaliser from Iddon Price. It was a game where Port dominated possession but, until Iddon’s late intervention, looked unlikely to open up the visitors’ packed defence. Penrhyncoch came with a game plan and, until that late goal, it worked a treat. They defended determinedly and in numbers, conceding territory and aiming to hit on the break. The visitors were forced to sit back for the entire opening half but 14 minutes into the second period Ian Evans took advantage of a break to put the visitors ahead. As the game wore on Port, despite their huge possession advantage were running out of ideas and in the end were relieved to get the draw in a very disappointing game which offered so little in the way of entertainment.

The tone for the game was set in the opening ten minutes where neither side was able to string three passes together and it was something of a surprise when suddenly, Gareth Jones Evans and Chris Jones worked the best move of the game down the right. It should have resulted in the opening goal of the game when Josh Davies met Chris Jones’s excellent near post cross only for the header to pass the wrong side of the post. In his efforts to clear Penrhyncoch defender Sion James took a bang against the post which held up play for several minutes. Fortunately he was able to continue and in fact made a big defensive contribution. Penrhyncoch conceded territory and packed their defence and despite numerous free kicks corners and crosses into the box Port were unable to work another opening. In the main the visitors defended successfully without too many worries, The closest Port came to scoring followed a Julian Williams corner where the visitors had to scramble the ball away for another corner. Following that corner Gareth Jones Evans’ cross found Chris Jones in space at the back post but the shot was lifted over the bar. Neither keeper was called into serious action in the opening half. It was routine duties and Richard Harvey was a spectator for all of the half with the only shot on his goal, and that from distance, going well wide of his goal. 0-0 at the end of the poorest half of football at the Traeth this season.

In contrast to the opening half the second opened with a flurry of action. Straight from the start Julian Williams was in the action cutting inside from the left and his right foot shot drew a good save from Penrhyn keeper Leigh Jenkins. The visitors then also snapped into action with Ian Evans making a good run down the right and, after cutting inside, forced Richard Harvey into an excellent diving save and it needed an excellent block from Dan Roberts to complete the clearance as Josh Shaw followed up. Julian Williams was again in he action but the shot went straight at the keeper. Ian Evans had already issued a warning to the Port defence and having at first been forced wide on the right he cut inside and his low shot from 12 yards went under the diving Richard Harvey into the net. This was a huge bonus for the visitors who could now resume their defensive plan. Crosses, corners and free kicks kept the visitors defence busy but with Sion James, John Foligno and Owain James winning almost everything in the air Port’s efforts were frustrated as they failed to break through the centre or round the back of an organised defence. Too often Port were forced to try their luck from distance and it was not a day where lady luck was shining on them. The best of the long range efforts was a Gareth Jones Evans dipper which went narrowly over. Substitutions did not change Port’s luck and it was left to defender Iddon Price to do what his forwards had failed to do all afternoon. He broke from midfield before letting fly from 20 yards and, helped by a deflection in a crowded box, it found the net to snatch the point.

Port have certainly not been able to make the Traeth a fortress in recent weeks. They required penalties to defeat Gresford in the Welsh Cup and in three league fixtures have only produced one point. It has not been the best of build-ups to next Saturday’s vist to Cardiff Met. Maybe it will be some relief to play away from the Traeth and attempt get the season back on the rails. With a large travelling support by car and coach we can expect the the usual on the road vocal support for the lads who will undoubtedly be up for the Cup and determined to raise their game. C’mon Port.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Rob Evans, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Tom Clarke 82’), Dan Roberts, Iddon Price, Gareth Jones Evans, Chris Jones (Jamie McDaid 61’), Josh Davies (Joe Williams 79’), Cai Jones, Julian Williams. Unused subs: Steve Bratt, Tyler French (gk).

PENRHYNCOCH: Leigh Jenkins, Nat Mousley, Jon Foligno, Arran Lemon, Sion James, Owain James, Ian Evans, Eilian Evans, Gareth Mansell, Josh Shaw, Antony Evans. (Hari Horwood 7’) Unused subs: Liam Doherty, Dafydd Carruthers, Gari Lewis, Aneurin Thomas.

Referee: J A Jones
Attendance: 146.

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us