CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Llandyrnog (a) | Llangefni (a) | FCOswestry (a) | Aberystwyth (h) | Wrexham XI (h) | Carno FC (h) |
| Bangor (a) | Llandudno (h) |

Pre-season Friendly –Saturday, 06 August.

CPD Porthmadog...............0
Llandudno ........................2
Lewis Buckley 38’
Gaz Evans 78’

That dreaded period of the football season - pre-season - finished on Saturday for Porthmadog at the Traeth with 2 - 0 defeat at the hands of Llandudno who have already played in Europe this season. It was a game in which Port had a great deal of possession but few clear cut chances were created despite this.

Two players returning to the fold Rob Evans and Gareth Jones Evans were prominent in the early exchanges. Early on Llandudno went close with an effort into the side netting following a corner on the right. Slowly but surely Port got into the game and Julian Williams went close with an effort he pulled across the face of goal after 24 minutes. Moments later and Hamilton headed just over following a cross from the right flank. Llandudno then had a good period and went close following another corner when their centre half almost pounced on a flicked header at the near post. On 38 minutes the deadlock was broken when an accurate pass from midfield released Lewis Buckley who scored low past Harvey from 15 yards. This spurred Port on and Iddon Price had a long range effort which flew over the bar, then Dan Roberts had a surging run through the heart of the Llandudno defence but his final shot was disappointingly weak and straight at the visiting keeper and then on the stroke of half-time Gareth Jones Evans fired a great shot just inches over the bar with the keeper beaten.

The second half was a turgid affair with few chances of note. Port probed and moved the ball but all too often gave the ball away at the crucial moment or failed to capitalise on the half chances. Llandudno looked dangerous on the break and it was somewhat against the run of play that the second goal arrived from a Gaz Evans shot from the edge of the box after 78 minutes. The lack of a real goal threat ensured that Port could not find a way back into the encounter and Llandudno saw out the game comfortably. As so often Port passed the ball well but with very little final product. It has been a problem for us all last season as well and Craig now has a week before the season begins in earnest to solve an age old problem.

Gerallt Owen
Pre-season Friendly –Tuesday, 03 August .

Christian Langos ‘7
Gary Roberts ‘60
Porya Ahmadi ‘68

Cai Jones ‘15

Port continued with their pre-season preparations with a visit to the Bangor University Stadium to face old rivals Bangor City, 24 hours after the hosts had announced former Llanelli manager Andy Legg as the successor to Nevil Powell.

It was Bangor that settled first into the match and took the early initiative. They were duly rewarded 7 minutes in when Christian Langos picked up the ball down the right and netted from the edge of the box. However as the half wore on Port grew in confidence and put together a number of good passing movements.

Port drew level on the quarter hour mark after Jamie McDaid capitalized on some sloppy play from a Bangor throw-in in their own half, before releasing the ball to Cai Jones who coolly finished with a shot between the keeper’s legs.

Port continued to grow in confidence from this point on, and there followed efforts on goal by Iddon Price and Jamie McDaid from the edge. Then, on 36 minutes, came probably the best opportunity for Port to take the lead, after a decent cross from the right by Gruff John reached Julian Williams in the box, and his header was only inches wide. 1-1 probably a fair score line at the interval, after a half where neither team managed to create all that much in front of goal.

After the interval both sides made a number of changes. Bangor managed to keep possession far better than they had, with the majority of Port’s chances coming on the counter attack. Richard Harvey had to react quickly to pull off a good save from Bangor’s Ahmadi on 58 minutes, but only two minutes later Bangor were back in the lead from a well taken Gary Roberts free kick from outside the box which this time left Harvey with no chance.

Port’s best chance in the second half fell to former Bangor player Chris Jones on 65 minutes after a good run down the right by Gwydion Ifan found Jamie McDaid who passed the ball back to Jones on the edge of the box. However, his effort didn’t really trouble the keeper.

Three minutes later, Bangor extended their lead through Ahmadi, who found himself in space after a good attack down the right by Christian Langos who posed a constant threat throughout the second period.

Despite losing, I’m sure Craig Papirnyk will feel that this was a valuable experience for the lads, who showed good passing and movement at times, and also made some decent attacks on the break. Port conclude their preparations for the new season on Saturday with another tough friendly against Llandudno.

Iwan Gareth
Pre-season Friendly –Saturday, 30 July .

CPD Porthmadog...............5
Jamie McDaid 4’, 24’, 56’
Chris Jones 41’
Julian Williams 73’

Carno FC.............................0

Port followed up their six goals on Tuesday with a further five when they entertained Carno at the Traeth today. A hat-trick and an outstanding performance from Jamie McDaid was the highlight of an afternoon where Port dominated from the start. They controlled possession and their accurate passing and running off the ball made it a difficult afternoon for the visitors who were forced to attempt to create with just scraps of possession.

It took just four minutes for Port to go ahead with Jamie McDaid getting the first of his hat-trick. He received just outside the box on the right and proceeded to cheekily chip the keeper with the ball ending in the corner of the net. The visitors responded with one of their best moves with 10 picking up well and curling his shot narrowly wide of the post. But the game was concentrated mainly in the Carno half with Port keeping possession for long periods and following one period Chris Jones’s shot on the turn was scrambled clear. With 24 minutes gone Port doubled their advantage when Jamie McDaid raced behind the visitors’ defence to fasten on to a long pass and, though the keeper got a hand to the shot, Jamie followed up to net from close range. Four minutes before the interval the score became 3-0 when Chris Jones ghosted in at the back post to steer Dan Roberts’ long cross wide of the keeper into the net. Towards the end of the half Richard Harvey was given a moment of concern as he was beaten in a chase for the ball on the edge of the box but the shot drifted wide.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first half and 10 minutes into the half Jamie McDaid completed his hat-trick. It was a good move down the left and following good work from Cai Jones and Asa Hamilton Jamie McDaid was put clear at the back post for a close range finish. Good efforts followed from Gruff Williams and Cai Jones and a Gwydion Ifan cross skimmed along the bar to eventual safety. The scoring was completed in the 73rd minute when Julian Williams fired low from 18 yards to net just inside the post. The visitors’ best effort of the second half, and the closest they came to scoring, was as a result of a dangerous long throw. For a moment there was panic in the Port goalmouth before the ball was finally scrambled away.

It was a good controlled performance from Port with good performances all round. Tom Clarke and Dan Roberts looked comfortable on the ball at the back and Iddon Price was strong in the centre of midfield. One worry with the new season getting close was seeing Ceri James limp off. Let’s hope it’s not too serious. Next week will see two tough games against WPL opposition and provide a searching test for the new look squad.

Starting Line-up: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Tomos Clarke, Iddon Price, Yws Gwynedd, Chris Jones, Asa Hamilton Jamie McDaid, Julian Williams.
Subs: Gruff Williams, Steve Bratt, Ceri James, Cai Jones.

Gareth Williams
Pre-season Friendly –Tuesday, July 26.

CPD Porthmadog...............6
Asa Hamilton 46’
Chris Jones 42’, 44’, 90’
Julian Williams 56’
Jamie McDaid 71’

Wrexham FC XI...................1

A good Traeth crowd were well entertained in a game between Port and a young Wrexham team. It was a game full of attacking football, some fine passing movements, good quality goals and a headed hat-trick from Chris Jones. The game was played at great pace providing a good run out and should prove a more than useful contribution to building fitness.

Both teams had periods of dominance during the first half and there were plenty of chances in an end to end game with some quality movements and one touch passing. But despite this 41 minutes elapsed before the first goal of the game came and it came as a result of a good Port move with Gruff John finding Julian Williams wide on the left and his cross freed Asa Hamilton on the right of the box to net with a powerful shot from 15 yards. A minute later and Port doubled their lead when Chris Jones met an excellent Ywain Gwynedd cross with a neat glancing header. A minute from the end of the half and the game had been transformed when Asa Hamilton became the supplier for a second Chris Jones header. 3-0 at the interval.

Ten minutes into the second period and Julian Williams, who had been prominent in the opening half with some good runs and clever passing, headed Port’s fourth from close range. Port’s fifth came after 71 minutes when Cai Jones put Jamie McDaid clear for a cool, close range finish. But at no stage despite the scoreline did the Wrexham youngsters stop playing their attractive brand of football and a couple of minutes after Port’s fifth they should have responded themselves when a shot which should have found the net drifted wide of the post. But only a minute later the visitors got their goal and it came via an excellent through ball and a quality chipped finish. The last goal of the evening saw Chris Jones complete his hat-trick when he met a Julian Williams corner at the near post.

More important than the final scoreline was the excellent preparation which this game provided for the season ahead. We thank the young players of Wrexham and wish them all well for their future careers.

Port Start Line-up: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Steve Bratt, Ceri James, Ywain Gwynedd, Chris Jones, Cai Jones, Asa Hamilton, Julian Williams.
Subs: Iwan Davies, Gwydion Ifan, Tomos Clarke, Cai Parry, Iddon Price, Jamie McDaid.

Gareth Williams
Pre-season Friendly –Saturday, July 23.

CPD Porthmadog...............1
Jamie McDaid 49’

Aberystwyth Town.............3

On a warm day on an immaculate looking Traeth, Aber’s strong squad, fresh from wins over Caernarfon and Caersws, ran out deserved winners. But there was also plenty for Port to take from a game which provided a stern test and great preparation for the season ahead.

The first effort on goal came from Port when Julian Williams fired a cracker from the edge of the box across the face of goal. But Aberystwyth responded strongly and went ahead after only 7 minutes. It came as a result of a well worked move with a good cross being turned in at the near post by a trialist. Port then found it difficult to come to terms with Aber’s pressing game and found possession, space and time on the ball hard to come by during most of the opening half. Just past the half hour mark the mid-Wales club doubled their advantage with a goal which had an element of fortune, when Clarke's shot from outside the box deflected off the unfortunate Rob Murfet and past the stranded Richard Harvey. Aber were now finding more space behind the Port defence and twice Geoff Kellaway threatened Harvey’s goal. On the first occasion he was denied by Tom Clarke’s timely intervention and, following this, Richard Harvey denied Kellaway with a good save at his near post. Twice in the later stages the Aber keeper was called into action racing out first to deny Julian Williams bursting in on goal and then cutting out a dangerous Gwydion Ifan cross. 2-0 at the interval.

There was the usual glut of substitutions following half-time, as both clubs gave their squads game time. Port started the second half strongly with Ceri James finding time and space in midfield and Ywain Gwynedd injecting pace and creativity in the same area. It took just four minutes into the second period for the deficit to be reduced. Jamie McDaid took full advantage of a free kick 20 yards out firing past the keeper into the corner of the net. Port were now enjoying a more equitable share of the possession and when Asa Hamilton burst on to an excellent Ceri James through ball the Aber defence were relieved to force it out for a corner. At the other end Richard Harvey was in action saving a Kellaway snapshot and also glad to see a Sherbon shot from 25 yards fly over the bar. There was action at both ends as Ceri James, for Port, rose well to meet a McDaid corner but without hitting the target. Aber responded with a well worked move which should have produced a third goal but that goal did come a few minutes later from a counter attack and a fine finish into the far corner of the Port net by a trialist. Port remained in the game and, when Ywain Gwynedd won the ball well in a central position, he burst forward threateningly but was unfortunate to see his shot deflected away for a corner. At the end of a good workout for both teams it remained 3-1 for the visitors on a day when the scoreline was not the be all and end all of the day’s activity.

Starting Line-up: Richard Harvey, Tom Clarke, Iddon Price, Dan Roberts, Gwydion Ifan, Rob Murfet, Chris Jones, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Julian Williams, Jamie McDaid.
Subs: Ywain Gwynedd, Asa Hamilton, Ceri James, Cai Jones, Iolo Hughes, Cai Parry.

Gareth Williams
Pre-season Friendly –Saturday, July 16.

FC Oswestry Town...........4

CPD Porthmadog.............3
Asa Hamilton
Josh Davies
Dan Roberts

Starting X1;
Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams Daniel Roberts Iddon Price Tomos Clarke Dylan Sweeny Ceri James Robert Murfet Jamie McDaid, Asa Hamilton, Cai Jones. subs: Josh Davies, Iolo Hughes, Stephen Bratt, Meilir Edwards, Sion Edwards.

It was a very warm afternoon in Oswestry, which made for difficult conditions for both teams given the heat. The 3G surface played well but was hot under the boot!

Oswestry started very well, moved the ball across the field and had pace to threaten out wide. We didn't get going and started poorly, Oswestry getting the better of the opening 15mins. Ceri James brought down a player in the area awarding them a penalty inside 10mins and the Oswestry Town player finished well from the spot.

This was a wake-up call and we began to settle, moving the ball well and playing some good stuff. Through a long Harvey kick we countered and Cai linked up well with Asa who ran through and finished neatly with a left foot volley from just inside the box.

The game was now very open at this point and both teams were working hard box to box , the energy was good and the game itself was pleasing to watch , very free flowing and attacking. We were very open but the work rate was good and the fitness we were gaining from this type of performance is what we needed.

Oswestry again took the lead with a neat break down the right and a tap in from the 6 yards out. Again poor defending as a team from us but one I can accept given the way the game was playing out.

We responded well and hit back with some good chances created, Cai Jones missing a header from a superb Gruff John cross and Jamie went close putting one over and one wide of the target. The equaliser looked like it was coming. A foul on Rob Murfet - playing well in his 1st appearance for the club- after playing a good one two with Asa he was brought down in the area. Asa took the spot kick and the keeper saved really well.

We continued to apply the pressure and when Asa was sent through by McDaid he coolly played the ball across the goal for Josh Davies to get on the end to fire home.

2-2 at the interval, a really open game where both teams attacked freely, both sets of players working extremely hard and getting the utmost from the minutes, improving fitness and sharpness. The defensive performance was not great from us and we have work to do to improve it. Naturally we were disappointed in our performance but sometimes in friendlies the work ethic is the most important thing.

The second half saw changes to both sides but the game remained the same, with both teams attacking. The game could've been 8-8 by the end!

Oswestry again started well and caused us problems with their pace and energy. They deservedly took the lead again and this prompted a response from us. A good set piece was met by Dan Roberts to head home for his 1st goal for the club.

Numerous chances were then created by both teams, and more goals could've come but some last minute defending and some great goal keeping kept the tally down!

The deciding goal was somewhat of a bizarre one, the game was stopped for our two substitutions while Oswestry had a corner kick. As the subs were coming off, one came on while the other was waiting his turn. The corner kick was then taken while we were stopped and they scored! A strange decision and the referee allowed the goal but to his credit he apologised at the end of the game. But the goal didn't take anything away from a good competitive game, credit to Oswestry they worked us hard and we will benefit from it. I would like to wish them well and thank them for the game.

Sometimes games like this just unfold and tactics go out the window. I was pleased the lads got a really good workout and we will learn from certain things as individuals and as a team from today's performance. We now move on to training to prepare and work before welcoming Aberystwyth next weekend.

Craig Papirnyk
Pre-season Friendly –Saturday, 09 July

Llangefni Town........................ 0

CPD Porthmadog.......................1
Gwydion Ifan 75’

Richard Harvey returned to goal with Daniel Roberts, Iddon Price and Tomos Clarke at the back, Gwydion Ifan played on the right side with Cai Parry on the left , Gruff Williams along with Chris Jones and Jamie McDaid played central with Cai Jones and Asa Hamilton up top .
Ceri James, Julian Williams, Josh Davies, Josh Banks and Iolo Hughes were all absent for various reasons.

We started well and moved the ball freely around the field and it wasn't long before we started creating chances. Good work through midfield from Chris Jones who linked well with Asa went close with Ewing in the home goal saving well. Cai and Asa both created half chances for themselves thereafter, Llangefni rarely troubled Harvey and the defence once again stood strong in any attacking play from the home side, Gwydion Ifan and Cai Parry both worked hard through the 1st half and put in some dangerous crosses.

We were edging the play and at times it was a joy to watch the one touch link up play in the final 3rd with the away defence holding strong throughout the half. We should've come in leading, but it was a very competitive and well worked 1st half from both sides .

The interval saw Ywain Gwynedd come to the field in place of Cai Jones with Chris joining Asa down the middle , Yws brought energy to our play and the tempo increased in the second half, the game began to open up and both sides created chances but it took a Gwydion Ifan strike, after another good run he cut inside and struck a left footed shot towards goal, hitting a defender on the way as it carried into the roof of the net.

Chris Jones, Asa and Cai all went close again for Port in the second half with the away defence not having to many difficulties and Harvey not having to make many saves bar the one from a good header towards the end of the game.

The introduction of 16yr olds Sion Edwards and Meilir Edwards was a highlight for the academy system , both players giving a very good account of themselves , and Rob Owen from last year's reserves making an impact in the time he was on the pitch .

Overall a fairly contested game, with both sides playing some very good football, pre-season is about fitness and getting match sharpness. We gained both today at Llangefni who I thank for an excellent game on a great surface!

Although results are not to important the performances are , we are picking up good habits and building the right momentum , We will now work hard through the week at training and look forward to making the trip to Oswestry next weekend, where we'll look to continue and build on the past two performances!

Craig Papirnyk
Pre-season Friendly –Tuesday, 5 July

Llandyrnog United ........0

Asa Hamilton (p)
Iddon Price
Cai Jones
Jamie McDaid (2)

Port enjoyed a good workout at Llandyrnog last night recording a 5-0 and below are manager Craig Papirnyk’s comments on the game.

We recorded a 5-0 victory at Llandyrnog last night, Asa Hamilton from the spot , Iddon Price , Cai Jones and a Jamie McDaid double with the goals.

The game was fairly contested throughout with Port controlling large parts of it. Llandyrnog worked hard and kept going until the end, coming close on a few occasions to score with the nearest effort hitting the cross bar. We could've extended our lead on numerous occasions in the second half, but for some great goalkeeping and some brave defending which kept us to just one goal with the other 4 all coming in the opening half.

Asa took his penalty well after winning it himself, Iddon scored a great individual goal running from centre half playing a one two with Cai and running clear through to finish calmly , Cai then netted with a neat finish from the angle and Jamie scored a delightful left foot curling shot from outside the area which planted into the top corner. Jamie then finished the scoring with another neat finish well under the advancing keeper after some good build up play from the team.

overall a very good workout for the lads , some really good individual performances and as a team we looked strong throughout the game , With a number of senior players away there is also a lot more still to come!

Tt was great to get the opening game out of the way and now we will continue to work hard , building momentum and fitness in our preparation for the start of the league campaign in August .

Starting X1 Cirion Williams, Gwydion Ifan, Daniel Roberts, Iddon Price, Tomos Clarke, Cai Parry, Ceri James, Gruff Williams, Jamie McDaid, Cai Jones, Asa Hamilton.
Subs: Iwan Lewis, Josh Davies, Aron Burrough, Sion Parry, Craig Papirnyk.

Craig Papirnyk


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us