CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Ail-dīm / Reserves  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Denbigh (a) | Llanfair (h) | Gresford (h) | Caernarfon (a) | Conwy (a) | Guilsfield (h) | Prestatyn (a) | Flint (h) | Buckley (h) |

Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 12 March 2016

CPD Porthmadog.................. 1
Cai Jones 20’

Buckley Town ........................0

Port completed a league double over Buckley, bringing to an end a bogey which has persisted over five seasons. A neatly conjured Cai Jones goal after 20 minutes proved enough for Port to collect all three points. In this largely uninspiring game Port did their best work in the opening half but were penned back by a determined Buckley in the second period.But they kept their cool to retain their lead for a deserved victory

Port were off to a strong start and a quick break, after just three minutes, provided a shooting chance for Cai Jones, who was only narrowly wide with his effort as he cut in from the right. Home pressure continued and Cai Jones, this time cutting in from the left, pulled his shot the wrong side of Ben Jones’s right hand post. The persistent Cai Jones did get the ball into the net on 17 minutes, winning the header in a challenge with keeper Ben Jones, but referee Liam Gray adjudged a foul. Port continued to hold the upper hand and Gruff Williams was unlucky to see his low shot deflected inches past the post. But the pressure finally paid off after 20 minutes, as Asa Hamilton opened up the Buckley defence with a superb sideways flick which put Cai Jones clear on goal and though the first effort on goal was blocked, the follow up effort from the same player found the net from 10 yards and give Port and Cai no more than they deserved for their early dominance. The visitors did not get a shot on goal until 31 minutes had elapsed with Danny Wynne firing over the bar from the edge of the box. Cai Jones continued to threaten the visitors’ goal and with half an hour gone he drove low from 18 yards but failed to hit the target. A good Port build up down the right led to an excellent Asa Hamilton pull back for Gwydion Ifan who drove low across the face of goal but somehow evading a final touch. Before half time arrived Buckley worked a half chance for Matty Roberts who fired over the bar from 18 yards. The interval arrived with Port’s one goal advantage hardly a reflection of the play in the first half.

In the first minute of the second period a good Port move ended with Josh Banks striking his effort over the bar. But following this, it was visitors who looked the stronger forcing Port back and threatening to make them pay for the lack of clinical finishing in the opening half. Jack Leamy pulled a shot wide as play became largely confined to the Port half and just short of the hour mark Buckley came very close to the equaliser. Adam Eden’s corner was only partially cleared and a second cross created a clear heading opportunity for Chris Robert s who failed to keep his header down and it flew harmlessly over the bar. The visitors forced several corners but efforts on goal were few and far between but as pressure continued a dangerous Aaron Williams cross had to be cleared with a header over the bar for another corner. But as the half wore on the Buckley fight back ran out of steam and strong runs by Asa Hamilton and Jamie McDaid, in particular, relieved the pressure and had the final ball been better there were opportunities to make the game safe. But in the end the single goal proved enough as Iddon Price and Steve Bratt maintained control at the centre of the defence with Gwydion Ifan keeping a tight rein on Adam Eden, Buckley’s biggest threat.

A clean sheet is always welcome and though he was not called into action on many occasions today, it was a timely reward for skipper/keeper Richard Harvey, a week before his wedding! This was only the third clean sheet of the season. Today’s win means that the next game against Holyhead Hotspurs will be between two clubs standing on 34 points. Today’s game also opens a gap of 12 points between Port in 10th place and Buckley who are 11th. The win was also achieved without three key regulars, Ceri James, Julian Williams and Eilir Edwards.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan, Josh Banks, Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans (Stuart Rogers 64’) Gruff Williams, Jamie McDaid, Asa Hamilton, Cai Jones. Unused subs: James Papirnyk, Josh Davies, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Asa Hamilton 69’.

BUCKLEY: Ben Jones, Jack Jones, Nath Williams, Chris Roberts, Tegid Lloyd, Marcus Davies, Jack Leamy, Aaron Williams, Danny Wynne, Matty Roberts, Adam Eden. Subs: Danny Sullivan, Josh Gannon, Kyle Reid. Yellow: Ben Jones43’, Jack Jones 69’.

Referee: Liam Gray.
Attendance: 116.

Gareth Williams.
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 05 March 2016

CPD Porthmadog.................. 1
Josh Davies 78’

Flint Town United .................3
Kyle Smith 27’
Paul McManus 90
Joe Palmer 90’(+5)

A goal on the stroke of the 90’ and another deep into injury time earned the three points for Flint but Port will rue the missed chances in the opening 20 minutes, a missed penalty and a rash tackle all of which contributed to their failure to get anything out of the game. On the balance of play a share of the points would have been a fair result and that appeared to be the likely outcome until Flint’s late, late show. For the neutral this was a really good game of football between two teams set up to play a passing game.

Flint had an early opportunity from a corner but McManus headed over. But for the next 25 minutes Port were on top and came close with several good chances. The first of these came after 9 minutes when Jamie McDaid latched on to a poor clearance drove forward into the box and was unlucky to see his curling shot strike the outside of the post. Just three minutes on and McDaid was involved again with Cai Jones meeting his dangerous cross but the header drifted wide. Ceri James, influential in midfield, supplied Cai Jones who shot over the bar from 18 yards and later an Iwan Lewis effort from the same distance had a similar result before Eilir Edwards broke into the box but his low shot also failed to hit the target. Having weathered these early attacks Flint pushed forward and Jack Abraham cutting in from the right forced debutant keeper Paul Whitfield into a good save. Port were then punished for their lack of finishing when Kyle Smith, as he had done in the corresponding game at Flint, raced on to a good through ball, getting in behind the home defence to net with a good low shot across the keeper. Minutes later and a defensive muddle almost led to a second goal but this time Smith’s partial interception rolled on wide of the post. Towards the end of the half there was more Port pressure but again no end product leaving the visitors a goal ahead at the interval.

Early in the second period Eilir Edwards crossed from the left but Cai Jones’s header was wide of the target. But a period of Flint pressure followed with Kyle Smith coming close to his second when he struck the post with a good effort and a good cross from Thelwell was volleyed wide from 16 yards by McManus. But, in the 59th minute, Port spurned a golden opportunity to get back on level terms. Iwan Lewis was brought down just inside the box by fullback Culshaw and referee Michael Gray pointed to the spot. Diving to his right keeper Ross Dalton pulled off an excellent save to keep out Jamie McDaid’s spot kick. Following this miss Port redoubled their efforts and Julian Williams was only inches from the equaliser when he slid in on to Gwydion Ifan’s excellent far post cross but somehow the ball stayed out after hitting the inside of the post. Julian Williams went close again breaking down the left but from a narrow angle his shot hit the side netting and the same player, who was making an impact having come on as sub, met a McDaid cross but again was wide of the target. But eventually the pressure paid and it was another sub, Josh Davies, with his first touch after coming on, turned in Julian Williams’ cross to level the scores. Following this, play was end to end, and Paul Whitfield saved well to deny Anthony Leavy while Dalton, at the other end, was in action saving Cai Jones’s angled shot. Then on the stroke of full time Flint took advantage of a rash tackle with Paul McManus striking the resultant free kick over the wall and dropping into the corner of the net. Then in the fifth minute of added time, with Port searching for an equaliser, they were caught on the break and sub Joe Palmer netted to give us a skewed final result.

Flint left the Traeth in happy mood having completed a double over Port but for Port their up and down season continues. The lack of consistency has been a season long problem and though they played some excellent football throughout the 90 minutes the determination and grit of last week’s performance to grind out a result at Prestatyn was missing. The Traeth again showed its remarkable recovery powers and provided a good surface considering the high rainfall again this week.

PORTHMADOG: Paul Whitfield, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Steve Bratt (Gwydion Ifan 46’), Iddon Price, Stuart Rogers, Iwan Lewis, Ceri James (Josh Davies 76’), Eilir Edwards (Julian Williams 60’), Cai Jones, Jamie McDaid. Unused sub: Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Ceri James 65’, Gruff Williams 90’.

FLINT: Ross Dalton, Joe Culshaw, John Hill, Russ Courtney (Phil Clark 43’), John Davies, Craig Jones, Jack Abraham, Abe Dobson (Anthony Leavy 77’), Kyle Smith (Joe Palmer 90’), Paul McManus, Simon Thelwell. Unused sub: Phil Dijon. Yellow: Joe Culshaw 59’, Kyle Smith 76’, Jack Abraham 90’.

Referee: Michael Gray.
Attendance: 143.

Gareth Williams.
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 27 February 2016

Prestatyn Town.................. 1
Jack Kenny 69’

CPD Porthmadog................2
Jamie McDaid 75
Cai Jones 88’

Port came from behind to gain a memorable victory, very much against the odds, at Prestatyn today. Finding themselves down to 10 men after Rob Evans was red carded in a most bizarre incident minutes before the interval, they refused to lie down, and two top quality late goals secured the victory. Cai Jones’s winner came just two minutes before the end of the ninety and with the whole team showing tremendous character, defending superbly in front of Richard Harvey, who put in another great captain’s performance.

The game started at tremendous pace with neither side afforded any time to dwell on the ball. Play was end to end but the best early chances came for Prestatyn, with their tall attackers a constant threat. Richard Harvey was in action early on when an Alex Jones shot took a deflection, and later the league’s leading scorer Jack Kenny burst through on the left and it needed a timely block by Josh Banks to keep the shot out with Richard Harvey completing the save. At the other end Port were building more patiently and a good build up worked a shooting chance for Iwan Lewis but the shot flew over the bar from 18 yards. Midway through the half the home team threatened to open the scoring and with the ball pinging around the box Richard Harvey was forced to make two good saves in quick succession and soon after he had to race off his line to stop Jack Kenny breaking in on goal. The tall figures of Jack Kenny and Mike Parker were always a threat and Kenny fired one across the goal but wide while a Parker snapshot tested Harvey again. The half ended in disarray when Kenny upended as he broke towards goal. Referee Tom Roberts gave a free kick on the edge of the box but in response to Prestatyn claims for a penalty, checked with his assistant and then kept to his original decision but waved a straight red at Rob Evans who was not a part of the original incident. Baffling but Rob had to walk. Scores remained level at the interval.

Things looked bleak for Port with 45 minutes with ten men seeming like a real mountain to climb. Despite the handicap Port started brightly and Cai Jones met a Gruff Williams free kick but his header went straight at keeper Mike Jones. But pressure mounted at the other end as Prestatyn scented victory but credit to a magnificent Port defensive performance the home team had to rely on shots from distance to threaten Richard Harvey’s goal. Connor Shackleton cracked one from 20 yards but at full stretch Richard Harvey palmed it away for a corner. Although they were forced to defend for long periods Port gained some confidence when they pushed forward and having forced a corner on the right, Cai Jones turned well in the box but lifted his shot on to the roof of the net. Then disaster struck when Prestatyn broke on the right and an attempted clearance ran into the path of Jack Kenny who accepted the opportunity steering the ball past Richard Harvey from 12 yards. Few of the travelling support would have given Port much hope for a revival at that stage but that is what happened and it took two really well worked goals to topple Prestatyn. For the 75th minute equaliser Cai Jones received on the right turning his marker superbly and racing on down the line towards the byline. He pulled the ball back for Iwan Lewis arriving at the edge of the box. Jamie McDaid timed a run perfectly to receive from Iwan Lewis and score from close range. Despite the possession they enjoyed, Prestatyn’s best efforts on goal were from outside of the box and though they tested Richard Harvey the keeper could not be beaten again. The winner came with only two minutes remaining. Iddon Price brought the ball clear before finding Stuart Rogers on the right and with the home defence in disarray he chipped superbly over the central defenders to find Cai Jones as he burst forward on the blind side. The fight back was complete as Cai fired a powerful shot past Mike Jones to secure three hard earned points.

It was an outstanding day’s work for the entire team and provided a result which was just reward for a true team effort. The vociferous band of loyal supporters were sent on their homeward journey happy with what they had witnessed after the controversial sending off incident sparked a cracking second half fight back. C’mon Port.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Rob Evans, Iwan Lewis, Eilir Edwards (Stuart Rogers 54’), Cai Jones (Gwydion Ifan 90’), Jamie McDaid. Unused sub: Craig Papirnyk. Red: Rob Evans,. Yellow: Ceri James.

PRESTATYN: Mike Jones, Tom Kemp, Noah Edwards, David Hayes, Paul O’Neill, Alec Williams (Jordan Davies 61’), Mike Parker, Connor Shackleton (Lee Beattie 77’), Jack Kenny, John F Cooke (Toby Sylvester 83’), Alex Jones. Yellow: David Hayes 90’

Referee: Tom Roberts (Mold)

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, November 2015

CPD Porthmadog................1
Gruff Williams 72’

Guilsfield FC.......................3
Andrew Ford 32’
Adam Jenkins 38’
Jake Cook 90’

Port slipped to a third consecutive league defeat today, against a well organised Guilsfield. Their well drilled defence resisted Port pressure, especially when needed in the second half and, at the other end, finished clinically having broken at pace for two of the goals. The late Guils breakaway goal gave us a scoreline which might have flattered the visitors to an extent, but there is no doubting the quality of their play and few will question their right to claim the three points.

The results of all three of their most recent games could have been very different had Port managed to turn possession into goals. They again started strongly pushing forward in attack and looked, in the early stages, the more likely to draw first blood. The closest they came to opening the scoring was after only 7 minutes when Gruff Williams rose well to meet a Julian Williams corner but only to see his header strike the cross bar and when Cai Jones followed up the bar once more came to the visitors’ rescue. Though there was some excellent football from two sides bent on a passing game the goal opportunities were rare as both defences took command. As the game progressed Guilsfield were increasingly a threat on the break with Richard Harvey having to go down at the feet of Adam Jenkins breaking into the box after 20 minutes. A good Port move threatened the visitors’ goal with Cai Jones running on to Asa Hamilton’s pull-back and forcing a good save from keeper Littleford. Guilsfield would have gone ahead after 25 minutes but for great defensive work from Iddon Price who halted Adam Jenkins when the forward burst clean through on goal. Both sides were serving up some great football and it was Port’s turn to threaten as they forced a corner on the left. The ball was partially cleared and Asa Hamilton crossed to the near post where Gruff Williams had his shot blocked for another corner. Then just past the hour mark Port were hit for the second successive game by a shot from distance. A clearance reached Andrew Ford 30 yards out and he struck powerfully. Though Richard Harvey got an outstretched hand to the ball he could not keep it out. Things suddenly got worse for Port five minutes later when the ball was given away in midfield. Finding themselves short of numbers in that area allowed Guilsfield to break quickly with Jake Cook running into space and though forced wide managed an excellent cross to the far post where Adam Jenkins raced in to tap home. Despite playing some good football in the opening half Port found themselves two down at the interval.

The second half started less fluently, with neither side in the ascendancy and the Guils feeling that they were happy to hold on to what they had. It took a Port goal after 72 minutes to spark the game back to life. Iddon Price’s excellent free kick to the back post was met by Gruff Williams and this time his powerful header found the corner of the net. Port were now back in the game and pushed forward looking for an equaliser. A Guils defender needed to head over his own bar as Eilir Edwards swung in a dangerous cross. Port now threw everything into attack with sub Rob Evans showing up well but they were met by a resolute Guils defence which reduced shooting chances to a minimum. The visitors had been a threat on the counter throughout and Richard Harvey did well to deny Mark Davies s he burst through unchallenged. With time running out for Port, Iwan Lewis crossed to the far post where Jamie McDaid got a foot to the ball but only to see it cleared off the line. Finally Port were indeed caught on the break with Jake Cook racing through and settling the game with a clinical finish.

A disappointing result for Port in a game of quality which further confirms the high standard being set in the Huws Gray Alliance this season. For Port it is again a case of searching for a formula which allows them to take advantage of their high levels of possession and some quality build-up play.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan (Stuart Rogers 76’), Josh Banks, Ceri James (Rob Evans 60’), Iddon Price, Gruff Williams, Iwan Lewis, Cai Jones (Eilir Edwards 60’), Julian Williams, Asa Hamilton, Jamie McDaid. Unused subs: Steve Bratt, Craig Papirnyk.Yellow: Eilir Edwards 81’.

GUILSFIELD: Dave Littleford, Callum Bromley, Chris Catherall, Andrew Ford (Gareth Jones 69’), Sam Litchfield, James Henderson, Jack Richards (Aaron Edwards 64’), Nathan Leonard. Adam Jenkins (Daniel Collins 87’), Jake Cook, Mark Davies. Unused subs: Danny Barton, Lee Andrews.

Referee: Michael Gray.
Attendance: 118.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 06 February 2016

Conwy Borough .................. 3
Josh Dures 22’
Joe Chaplin 49’
Luke Robinson 73’

CPD Porthmadog................2
Jamie McDaid 42’
Julian Williams 87’

At the end of the 90 minutes Porthmadog players were left to wonder how on earth they left the Morfa pointless. They had in excess of 80% of the play and their opponents were reduced to 10 men for the last half hour, yet still managed to leave empty handed. Conwy’s attacks over the 90 minutes could be counted on one hand yet they managed three good goals and even with 10 men defended resolutely riding their luck at times to hold on for the three points.

Port opened strongly and once Richard Harvey had saved a Moses Barnett free kick Port could easily have been two up in the first ten minutes. The returning Jamie McDaid soon made his presence felt, sending Asa Hamilton through on the right but Conwy’s new keeper John Lynch saved well with his legs. Two minutes on and Asa Hamilton chased down a long ball on the left outpacing his marker before cutting inside, rounding the advancing keeper, bu hadt his shot cleared off the line by the recovering defender Jack Simon. Following these opportunities Port continued to dominate possession but the home defence tightened and there were fewer clear chances. Then on 22 minutes, and totally against the run of play, Port found themselves a goal down. Moses Barnett’s free kick was only partially cleared and Josh Dures jumped highest to send a looping header over Richard Harvey into the net. Port continued to dominate play with Conwy excursions into the Port half very rare events. However despite the pressure the home defence was not seriously opened up until three minutes before the interval. Asa Hamilton’s perfectly weighted through ball had Jamie McDaid racing into the box and behind the defence to coolly stroke the ball into the net for the equaliser.

Supporters hoping to see Port convert pressure into goals after the interval were to be disappointed as it was Conwy just three minutes after the resumption who went back into the lead. Joe Chaplin received the ball on the left just inside the Port half, he raced on past Gwydion Ifan and cut inside into the box before lashing a low shot under Richard Harvey into the net. Again Port piled on the pressure and it needed a good save from John Lynch to keep out a Julian Williams shot after he had been put away down the left by Jamie McDaid. On the hour mark Teddy Whelan received his marching orders after receiving his second yellow card in the space of just five minutes. But despite creating several chances to get back on level terms Port did not fully exploit their extra man. Cai Jones set up Josh Banks down the left but the full back’s powerful shot flew narrowly over the bar and a well struck shot from 25 yards by Eilir Edwards, unfortunately went straight at Lynch in the home goal. Further disaster then struck as a cross field pass by Iwan Lewis was intercepted and the ball moved quickly forward to Luke Robinson who, finding himself without support, unleashed a thunderous shot from 30 yards which hit the underside of the bar and dropped into the net behind Richard Harvey. Despite now leaving themselves a mountain to climb Port pushed forward and there were opportunities. It needed a good Lynch save to cut out Eilir Edwards’ dangerous cross and a Julian Williams free kick sailed inches the wrong side of the post. Port’s second goal did not come until the dying minutes and it was a goal of the highest quality deserving a better fate then being a footnote in a defeat. Asa Hamilton burst into the box to supply Julian Williams who curled a super shot across the keeper and high into the top corner. Port made a final effort for parity and following a free kick the ball rattled around the box pinball fashion with both Asa Hamilton and Josh Banks having shots cleared off the line. But in the end it was all too little too late as Conwy clung on for three valuable points.

A quality goal on his return for Jamie McDaid and another fine effort from Julian Williams but over the 90 minutes it was all too reminiscent of the defeat at Llanfair.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gwydion Ifan (Cai Jones 60’), Josh Banks, Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Ceri James (Iwan Lewis 46’), Rob Evans (Steve Rogers 81’), Eilir Edwards, Julian Williams, Asa Hamilton, Jamie McDaid. Unused subs: Josh Davies, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Ceri James, Josh Banks 89’.

CONWY: John Lynch, Chris Rowntree, Moses Barnett, Jack Simon, Teddy Whelan, Mark Beech, Joe Chaplin, Josh Dures, Luke Robinson, Jordan Haskell, Ben Holmes. Used subs: Thomas Ormes, R Howcroft-Jones. Red: E. Whelan (2 yellow). Yellow: L Robinson.

Referee: Dan Fogarty (Connah’s Quay).
Attendance: 83

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 30 January 2016

Caernarfon Town.................. 2
Darren Thomas 11’
Kevin Roberts 74’

CPD Porthmadog................1
Julian Williams 77’

Caernarfon edged a close contest between the passing game of Porthmadog and the more direct play of a home side that always looked to hit on the break. The opening half probably belonged to the home side, this on the back of the number of chances they created, particularly from set pieces orchestrated by Nathan Craig. Port enjoyed plenty of possession throughout, but in the second period the pressure was very much on the Canaries goal but they failed to turn that into real goal chances. Overall Port will feel that their play on the afternoon deserved a share of the points.

The first real threat of the afternoon came before ten minutes had elapsed when the influential Nathan Craig hit a powerful free kick from the right. Richard Harvey failed to hold the shot and the ball ran free to Gareth Edwards who scooped his shot over the bar from close range. Port responded with Gruff Williams free kick just outside the box but home keeper Paul Pritchard dealt comfortably with it. Port struck back and forced a corner on the left but this proved their undoing as the ball was cleared to Darren Thomas who broke from inside his own half and raced on at pace, outstripping an undermanned defence and placing a low shot wide of Richard Harvey from 15 yards. After this setback, Port enjoyed a good period. Julian Williams was a threat down the left and his cross to the back post was only a whisker away from Asa Hamilton’s forehead. Soon after a neat flick from Cai Jones on the edge of the box put through Josh Banks whose shot was unluckily deflected to safety. The home side struck back and again it was Nathan Craig with a thunderous free kick which thumped the crossbar but Richard Harvey saved well as Rob Jones followed up. Harvey was again in action soon after as he saved a well struck effort from Jay Gibbs following a corner. Towards the end of the half yet another free kick from Nathan Craig tested Richard Harvey and the keeper saved again from Jay Gibbs who was following up. The closest Caernarfon came to doubling their advantage was when the tall defender Gareth Edwards rose well to meet a corner but again the crossbar came to Port’s rescue. The score remained at 1-0 at the interval but with all to play for in the second period.

The second half was controlled by Port territorially but the strong Caernarfon defence reduced their chances to a minimum. The home side were first to threaten with a Jay Gibbs volley against the run of play going narrowly wide. But on 59 minutes Eilir Edwards’ cross created a good opportunity for Asa Hamilton, but in the swirling wind the forward’s header lacked power. Port continued to build up the pressure and Cai Jones controlled a quick throw-in on his chest and fired on the turn to test keeper Pritchard at his near post. On 70 minutes Port created a good opportunity to draw level when Eilir Edwards put Josh Banks in behind the defence on the left. Banks cut inside and his shot across the keeper was narrowly the wrong side of the post. But 4 minutes later calamity struck for Port as they were punished for failing to turn pressure into goals. Rob Jones picked up a loose ball wide on the left and struck a great cross to the near post where sub Kevin Roberts was allowed to nip in and head past Richard Harvey from close-in. But Port heads did not go down and following a further period of pressure Josh Davies forced his way into the box and the ball ran free to Julian Williams on the corner of the penalty box who struck unhesitatingly an super shot across the keeper into the top corner of the net. Port continued to push forward in search of the equaliser which allowed the Canaries to hit on the break again and both Toby Jones and Darren Thomas missed opportunities to make the game safe. Close to the end Paul Pritchard had to make a good save diving to his right to keep out a well struck Eilir Edwards effort from 25 yards. This proved to be Port’s last hurrah as despite a good second half performance they were not able to test home keeper Paul Pritchard often enough.

This game proved yet another great boost for the Huws Gray Alliance image, a good entertaining contest watched by a crowd of 567, beating last night’s gate of 505 at Nantporth for the WPL derby between Bangor and Rhyl. How the times are changing as the HGA continues to go from strength to strength!

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff J Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Eilir Edwards55’), Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis (Stuart Rogers 88’), Rob Evans, Julian Williams, Asa Hamilton (Josh Davies 73’), Cai Jones. Unused subs: Gwydion Ifan, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Ceri James 2’, Josh Banks 20’, Iwan Lewis 72, ’Gruff Williams 75.

CAERNARFON: Paul Pritchard, Clive Williams, Nathan Craig, Gareth Edwards, Graham Austin, Gareth Jones Evans (Toby Jones 87’), Jay Gibbs (Kevin Roberts 66’), Rob Jones, Jamie Breeze (Kevin Lloyd 76’), Darren Thomas, Danny Brockwell. Unused subs: Zak Edwards, Chris Williams.

Referee: Gareth Wyn Jones.
Attendance: 567

Gareth Williams.
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 23 January 2016

CPD Porthmadog...................2
Julian Williams 63’,
Rob Evans 76’

Gresford Athletic ...................1
Tom Wells 57’

A super strike by Rob Evans 14 minutes from time gave Port all three points extending their current good run to five wins in six games. Having pretty much dominated the opening half but without finding the net, Port found themselves a goal down early in the second half and were glad to take advantage of a penalty award to bring them back into the game, before Rob Evans settled the game, giving Port the win which they deserved on balance of play over the 90 minutes. Though there was not the drama of last week’s win, this was another good performance against strong hard working opposition.

In the first half Port dominated the possession and the territory but failed to open up a resolute Gresford defence. That was mainly due to veteran keeper Jon Hill Dunt who pulled off several excellent saves and at times stood between Port and gaining a first half advantage. It was however the visitors who had the first chance to open the scoring when Owen Roberts picked up a loose pass and had a clear sight of goal. But Richard Harvey got down well to save a shot from 18 yards. That turned out to be the closest Gresford came to scoring in the opening half as Port now established control and looked the more likely to find the net. Four minutes into the game and excellent Rob Evans through ball put Asa Hamilton in behind the defence, but from a wide angle his attempted lob went over the bar. Port continued to build from the back and when Cai Jones released Josh Banks to cross from the left, Hill-Dunt was on hand to save Rob Evans’ good back post header. Hill-Dunt was soon in action again this time making an excellent double save. First he touched a cracking shot from Rob Evans on to the post and then stopped the Julian Williams follow up. Just past the half-hour mark and an excellent Iwan Lewis lay off gave Cai Jones the chance to unleash a shot but again Hill-Dunt saved well this time at the expense of a corner. Hill-Dunt then denied Cai Jones again following yet another good Port build-up. But despite the good approach play during the first half Hill-Dunt remained unbeaten at the interval with the game waiting for its first goal.

Gresford came out for the second period determined to make more of an impression on the game. Gareth Williams found Sam Richardson in plenty of space on the left but the shot went across the face of goal and wide. However Port responded when Iwan Lewis found Asa Hamilton in the box but the shot was blocked and scrambled away. But for all their first half pressure, 12 minutes into the second half and Port found themselves a goal down. Nathan Peate met a Mike Latham free kick playing it into the path of Tom Wells who scored from close range. The lead lasted just six minutes before referee James Walker pointed to the spot after Asa Hamilton had been wrestled to the ground in the box. Hat-trick hero of last Saturday Julian Williams stepped up to at last beat Hill-Dunt from 12 yards. Gresford were stung into a response and tested the Port defence again, Richardson had his shot deflected for a corner and Williams fired wide when well placed. Richard Harvey was also called upon to dive low to save from Owen Roberts after the forward had cut inside after breaking down the left. But it was Port who got their noses in front after 78 minutes. Following a period of heavy pressure on the Gresford goal the ball was eventually cleared, but only as far as Iddon Price in the centre circle. Price immediately spread the ball wide to Rob Evans in space on the right. Evans cut inside into the box and unleashed a tremendous shot into the roof of the net beating the keeper at his near post with his powerful strike. But despite the setback Gresford pushed forward looking for an equaliser and Richard Harvey was twice in action in the closing stages, first denying Max Peate with an outstanding save and Gruff Williams finished the job, clearing over his own cross bar for a corner. Harvey was needed to be at his best again in the five minutes of added time cutting out a dangerous low cross from Jamie Price.

Port were able to hold on for what was a deserved three points on play overall. This win over our mid-table rivals and with Holyhead losing, means that Port move up two places to 8th in the table. Now for the big one next Saturday at the Oval!

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Josh Davies 60’), Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans, Julian Williams, Asa Hamilton (Eilir Edwards 68’), Cai Jones (Stuart Rogers 81’) Unused subs: Gwydion Ifan, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Iddon Price 56’, Julian Williams 86’, Iwan Lewis 90+

GRESFORD: Jon hill-Dunt, Jamie Price, Andrew Stockton, max Peate, Nathan peate, Sam Richardson, Jack Mountford, Tom Wells (Matthew Thompson 84’), Owen Roberts, Mike Latham. Gareth Williams (Josh Griffiths 71’). Unused subs: Eddie Maurice Jones, Matthew Cook. Yellow: Nathan Peate 75’

Referee: James Walker.
Attendance: 145.

Gareth Williams.
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 16 January 2016

CPD Porthmadog...................6
Cai Jones 19’
Gruff Williams 52’
Julian Williams 63’, 70’, 76
Asa Hamilton 84’

Llanfair United .....................1
James Davies 35’

The long wait for a game at the Traeth proved well worth it, as Port romped to their biggest win of the season thanks to a quality second half performance, netting five times and that included a Julian Williams hat-trick completed in the space of just 13 minutes. This win goes some way to wiping out the memory of Port’s second half collapse in the corresponding fixture at Llanfair.

Play was end to end at the start with the visitors winning a couple of early corners and Gruff Williams, for Port, testing Mark Richards with a 25 yard free kick. Gradually Port got into the game with Cai Jones firing into the side netting and Gruff Williams having a shot cleared off the line. In the 19th minute Port deservedly got in front with a good goal as Cai Jones got on the end of Rob Evans’ excellent low cross to finish clinically at the back post. Port having achieved the breakthrough almost immediately set up another good move with a Josh Davies effort being deflected for a corner. But going behind appeared to fire the visitors into greater efforts and Andrew Hughes tested Richard Harvey low at his near post with a well struck shot. Half an hour into the game and Llanfair were getting more and more of the play. They looked to take advantage of a poor defensive header to set up a counter attack with Andrew Hughes this time firing into the side netting. With 38 minutes on the clock Llanfair drew level when Port gave the ball away in midfield and when James Davies received on the left of the box he took his opportunity with a flashing shot into the far top corner of the net. In the closing stages of the half Port fought back and Cai Jones crossed dangerously from the left but there was no one able to apply a finishing touch. A minute before the half time whistle Julian Williams cut inside from the right and his shot was only inches wide of the target. But the interval was reached with the scores level 1-1.

The second half saw a couple of bad defensive errors by Llanfair turn the game in Port’s favour. The first of these came seven minutes into the half when a dangerous ball into the box from Cai Jones was not cleared and Gruff Williams took full advantage, the full back burst into the box to net with a first time effort from 10 yards. Things got even worse ten minutes later when keeper Mark Richards fluffed his kick and Julian Williams punished the visitors as he ran in unchallenged to score from close range. This was the first goal of a super quick Julian Williams hat trick. Just 7 minutes after his first, the forward added a second when he got on the end of another excellent Cai Jones through ball to finish with a clean angled shot running in from the left. It was not long to wait for Julian Williams’ hat trick goal and what a goal! He curled a super free kick from 20 yards just inside the post giving the keeper no chance. There could have been more goals in this period as Cai Jones’ back post header struck the bar and an Asa Hamilton header was cleared off the line. Though they were given a helping hand by the defensive errors, Port were playing some quality football spraying passes around despite the heavy conditions. The sixth goal was arguably the best of them all when hat-trick hero Julian Williams combined with Asa Hamilton in a defence splitting exchange of passes with Hamilton completing the scoring with his 84thminute blaster from 15 yards into the far corner of the net. In the dying minutes of the game the same pairing almost combined to conjure a seventh goal, but the home side were well satisfied with their return on an afternoon where players and supporters were glad that football was back at the Traeth after the ordeal of the last month.

The Traeth defied the weather to be the venue for one of only three HGA games played today and survived without cutting up too badly as Julian and Asa proved with their slick passing! Thanks are due to groundsman Gareth Evans and his helpers for overcoming the challenges imposed by the weather and still managing to turn a lake into a highly satisfactory playing surface. The win improves the goal difference, leaves Port still in 10th place in the table but the fourth win in five games means that the gap between them and some of the teams above is closing. There is also a whopping 10 points gap between them and the teams below.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Gruff Williams, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans (Stuart Rogers 66’), Julian Williams, Josh Davies (Asa Hamilton 54’), Cai Jones (Gwydion Ifan 75’).Unused sub: Eilir Edwards. Yellow: Iddon Price 36’.

LLANFAIR: Mark Richards, Alun Hughes, Marc Jones, Paul Griffiths, Ryan Davies, Rhys Stephens, Joe Vaughan, Luke Gethin, Ian Edmunds, Jamie Davies, Andrew Hughes. Subs: Chris Gethin, Ben Jones, David Jones.

Referee: Iwan Griffiths (Conwy)
Attendance: 121.

Gareth Williams.
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 02 January 2016

Denbigh Town.................. 2
Mark Roberts 68’
Kristian Pierce 70’

CPD Porthmadog................0

Two goals in two second half minutes settled this game in Denbigh’s favour. In many ways this was a repeat of the game at the Traeth, where despite having more of the play and creating more chances Port were left to rue the misses as the home team found the killer punch midway through the second half. Ironically the first Denbigh goal came as an immediate response to a Port attack which should have seen them go ahead. But despite the disappointing result supporters were well entertained today with both teams passing the ball around and produced some good football on a slippery surface.

The best early chance came Port’s way just four minutes into the game when Eilir Edwards broke from midfield and Julian Williams struck well from 18 yards but inches the wrong side of the post. Port continued to look more likely to open the scoring as Josh Davies was twice released into the box by Eilir Edwards but an excellent block from Matty Hughes put a stop to the first and then an excellent chance was spurned as this time the shot was deflected wide. Denbigh’s first real effort on goal came with a Kristian Pierce free kick which was hammered into the side netting. This was followed by a dangerous Paul Hart break into the box, averted by a great tackle from Iddon Price who was having another excellent game at the back for Port. With five minutes to go to half time a dangerous run and a low cross from Julian Williams was almost converted by Iwan Lewis racing in. But the half ended with a real let off for Port when Mark Roberts played a ball inside for Sam Jones who blasted over the bar from close range, so it remained goalless at the interval.

At the start of the second period the home team took the game to Port with Kristian Pierce threatening first as he cut in from the left but lifted his shot over the bar and this was followed soon after by a Mark Roberts break down the left having been put away by good ball from Dave McIntyre. The winger cut inside but his angled shot drifted wide of the far post. Having resisted these early threats, Port came back into the game again with a good four man build up, and Stuart Rogers found Josh Davies in the box, but home keeper Elliot Power was down well to stop a shot on the turn. This was followed by two dangerous attacks instigated by Rob Evans. On both occasions he broke along the byline on the right and delivered excellent low crosses into the Denbigh goalmouth. The first resulted in a scramble at the near post with Julian Williams forcing the ball narrowly wide. On the second occasion the low cross found Asa Hamilton whose shot was only scrambled away as far as Iwan Lewis who’s well struck shot was blocked on the line. Ironically this provided the game changing moment as the ball was swept out of the goalmouth and down the left to Mark Roberts who, despite being forced wider than he would have liked, provided an excellent finish lifting the ball over the diving Richard Harvey and into the net. Port’s woes were soon multiplied when inside two minutes Kristian Pierce doubled the home advantage. He combined down the left with Mark Roberts before cutting inside and, though Richard Harvey got a hand to the powerful shot, he could not prevent it rolling over the line. Though a Port comeback now seemed unlikely they continued to play some really good football, and another four man move linked up by some excellent one touch passing ended with a Gruff Williams shot from the corner of the box across the face of goal and wide. Towards the end Iwan Lewis forced keeper Power into a save while Harvey was in action at the other end to keep out a shot on the turn from Sam Tate.

Port’s winning run comes to an end but it could have been very different had just a few of the many chances been taken. On now to take on league leaders Cefn Druids at the Traeth.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Rob Evans (Gwydion Ifan 72’), Gruff Williams, Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Stuart Rogers (jack Davies 75’), Eilir Edwards, Asa Hamilton, Josh Davies ( Cai Jones 65’), Julian Williams. Unused subs: Ceri James, Luke Jones.

DENBIGH: Elliot Power, Sam Tate (Sam Lewis 87’) , Dan Lloyd, Matty Hughes, Tony Davies, Mike Sharples, Kristian Pierce, Anth Williams, Paul Hart (Mark Roberts 43’), Sam Jones (Mike Cronshaw 60’) , Dave McIntyre.

Referee: Mike Gray (Rhyl)

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ā ni / Contact us