CPD Porthmadog FC
Noddwyd gan / Sponsored by Cymru1.net
Uwchgynghrair Cymru / Welsh Premier

Gartref / Home
Newyddion / News
Gemau / Fixtures
Canlyniadau / Results
Adroddiadau / Reports
Lluniau / Photos
Chwaraewyr / Players
Hanes / History
Cyfeiriadau / Directions
Siop / Shop
Archifau / Archive
Rheolwr / Manager
Trafod / Discussion
Erthyglau / Articles
Cysylltiadau / Links
| Hwlffordd / Haverfordwest (h) | Port Talbot (a) | Aberystwyth (h) | Bari / Barry (a) | Caernarfon (h) |
| Caersws (a) | Connah's Quay (h) |
Welsh Premier (JT Hughes, Mitsubishi) -Saturday, December 20th

Porthmadog ... 1     Connah's Quay .... 1
Danny Hughes 55    George Horan 52

The goals in this game came within three minutes of each other early in the
second period but from very early on this game had shown every likelihood of
ending as a draw. These two teams had faced each other in the season opener
when Port had pulled off an outstanding victory and so this represented the
first opportunity for a double. This was not to be, however, in a scrappy
game where the home side matched the usual strong physical presence of the

A strong wind made both passing and controlling difficult and this led to an
untidy opening quarter. The best of the early chances came the way of the
Deeside visitors as they played with the strong wind at their backs. After
10 mins Emrys Williams was turned by the experienced Stuart Rain but Gareth
Owen's cross raced untouched across the Port goalmouth and two mins later
Hutchinson shot wide after receiving a deflected ball in the box. Gerard
McGuigan made an excellent save diving low to keep out Tommy Mutton.

Port weathered the early pressure and Gareth Parry and Danny Hughes in
midfield and Mark Williams up front began to stamp their presence on the
game. Gareth Caughter after 21 mins tested keeper Andy Hughes following an
excellent build-up involving front men and midfield. On the half-hour mark
Port could well have taken the lead when keeper Hughes failed to gather
under pressure and Danny Hughes for Port could not capitalise as he appeared
to have been held back by the beaten visitors keeper as he was about to
shoot. The claims for a penalty were waved away by referee AD Woodthorpe who
made several strange decisions during the afternoon.

Towards the end of the half the visitors came back into the game and Horan
headed wide from a corner and Tommy Mutton burst past Webber on the left but
was foiled by a well time Foster tackle. The referee once more waved away
penalty claims when Mutton for Connah's Quay broke wide into the box
appealing that he had been brought down by Emrys Williams.

Early in the second-half the two goals came. In the 52 min George Horan rose
unchallenged at the far post to head Andy Griffiths' right wing corner past
McGuigan. The lead did not survive long for within three minutes visitors
keeper Andy Hughes misjudged the bounce of Mike Foster's long ball and Danny
Hughes was on hand, and this time nothing deterred him from placing the ball
in the net.

That proved to be the end of the scoring and there were few if any clear
chances during the remainder of the game. Andy Griffiths shot wide after a
cross from the right and Mutton went close following a good run by
Griffiths. At the other end a Gareth Parry block almost ended up in the back
of the net while Carl Owen lifted his shot over the bar after a tantalising
run by Steve Pugh down the right.

In the end both sides will be happy to take a point each from the game and
for the first time this season Port have shared the spoils in a league

Port: Gerard McGuigan, John G. Jones, Emrys Williams, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster, Danny Hughes, Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry(Ritchie Owen), Gareth
Caughter(Steve Pugh), Mark Williams, Tony Williams(Carl Owen).

Connah's Quay: Andy Hughes, Steve Hopkins, Nicky Brookman, Craig Hutchinson,
George Horan, Paul Mazzarella, Andy Griffiths, Tommy Mutton, Stuart Rain,
Jon Kenworthy, Gareth Owen.
Subs: Robbie Chesters, Mark Highman, Stuart Terry.

Gareth Williams

Welsh Premier (JT Hughes Mitsubishi) -Saturday, December 6th.

Caersws ...3              Porthmadog ...2
Graham Evans 3        Mark Williams 15, 79
Andrew Davies 84,89

Two late goals by Andrew Davies for Caersws snatched a victory that had
appeared to be Port's, when Mark Williams headed them into a 79th minute
lead. This was a game played at a rather frantic pace throughout and in a
swirling wind it all became something of a lottery. From the start it seemed
likely that there would be goals as neither defence inspired confidence.
Indeed Port conceded an early goal, which has been the case for the third
consecutive game, and was the result of some poor defensive marking.

After only three minutes Graham Evans received a Christmas bonus when he
rose unmarked to head Dylan McPhee's free-kick over Gerard McGuigan and into
the visitors net. Mcphee was again involved after 6 mins shooting just wide
after a good cross by Venables who had burst past Ritchie Owen on the right.
Port, however got themselves back into this end to end game, after 15 mins,
when an excellent long cross from the left, by Carl Owen, found Mark
Williams on the back post and the striker's header looped over Mulliner and
into the net.

This completed the scoring in the opening half but there were chances at
both ends. Gareth Parry was just off target, for Port, after Gareth Caughter
had flicked on Mark Williams' left wing cross. While at the visitors end
Dafydd Evans had to clear off the line after McGuigan had dropped a McPhee
corner from the left. Later McGuigan saved well from Mark Howells and again
from the busy Dylan McPhee.

In the second period the early chances fell to Caersws. An useful 30yd
effort by Andrew Davies, following a corner on the right, sailed just over.
Graham Evans was also off target after Emrys Williams had failed to clear.
Just after the hour mark it took a brilliant point blank save by McGuigan to
keep out Graham Evans and Andy Marfell spurned a good heading chance from a
cross from the right. Port were still in the game and  began to strike back
though relying too much on the long balls for Mark Williams to hold up and
neglecting the passing game through midfield which has previously served
them well.

The introduction of Steve Pugh on the right pleased the visiting supporters
and soon brought more variety into the attack. Following a couple of pacy
runs to suggest that he would be a threat Pugh burst past Howells and
reached the bye-line before crossing a fine near post cross for Mark
Williams to place a perfect header past Mulliner. This 79th minute goal was
the best of the five goals. The visitors had got their noses in front but
their defence was not oozing with confidence and the home side threw
everything in to attack.

With only six minutes left McGuigan leaped up  to palm out Marfell's cross
but in the crowded penalty area Andrew Davies reacted first and Port just
failed to scramble out his shot on goal with the linesman confirming that
the ball had crossed the line. More was to come and once again, with time
running out, it was Andrew Davies who took his opportunity to find the net
in a crowded box.  Caersws had snatched a victory in game that could easily
have gone either way. There was time for a couple more Caersws corners and a
30yd effort from Gareth Caughter which flew past Mulliner's post.

Caersws were pleased to gain their first home league victory of the season
while Port will feel disappointed to have thrown a winning lead with just
six minutes to go. An exciting end to end game but one that cried out for a
player who could slow the game down and give the attacks more purpose and
direction. It was all too frenetic with few players prepared to hold the
ball and create.

Caersws: Mulliner, Andrew Thomas, Mark Howells, Colin Reynolds, Hugh Clarke,
Dylan McPhee, Chris Venables, Andy Marfell, Graham Evans, Graham Jones,
Andrew Davies.
Subs: Jamie Davies, Mark Probert, Alan Williams.

Port: Gerard McGuigan, John G. Jones, Emrys Williams, Danny Hughes, Mike
Foster (Lee Webber), Gareth Caughter, Gareth Parry, Dafydd Evans, Ritchie
Owen(Steve Pugh), Mark Williams, Carl Owen (Tony Williams).

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Welsh Premier (J.T.Hughes,Mitsubishi) -Saturday,November29th.

Porthmadog .... 3        Caernarfon ...2
Gareth Parry 25           Calvin Davies 9
Gareth Caughter 30,61  Carl Rogers 34

Port edged out Caernarfon in an exciting game by the odd goal in five.The
home side for the second week in succession made a slow start and before
they had properly found the pace of the game they were a goal behind. After
only nine minutes a sweeping Caernarfon counterattack caught out the Port
defence and Carl Rogers took advantage of a good ball played out to the
right to find Calvin Davies in space on the edge of the box. The striker
broke into the box and drove low into the net catching McGuigan, in the home
goal, on the back foot and unable to protect his goal.

Gradually the home side got back into the game and first Gareth Parry shot
just over the bar from 20yds and Gareth Caughter's flicked header tested
Willcock in the visitors goal. Then on 25 mins Port were truly back in the
game when Gareth Parry took full advantage of Willcock's poor clearance to
make ground into the box and drive low into the corner of the net. Just five
minutes later and the home side were ahead when Mike Foster's high ball into
the box was headed down by Mark Williams to Gareth Caughter in the box and
the midfielder drove into the net from 8yds.

Port now enjoyed a good period of play and entertained with some well worked
moves. Dafydd Evans, Gareth Pary, John Gwynfor and Gareth Caughter combined
well and threatened along the right flank. With the home side just beginning
to dominate Caernarfon struck back taking advantage of a ball where the
defence only managed a half clearance. The ball was threaded through to Carl
Rogers in space in the box and the winger beat McGuigan from close range to
make the game all square again.However up to the interval the home side
continued to dominate with Mark williams missing a clear chance from
Webber's downward header. Webber himself then came close with a header and
Carl Owen just failed to take advantage of Mark Williams' cross.

At the start of the second period the visitors enjoyed a good period of
pressure with McIlvogue and Carl Davies a constant threat to the home
defence with their pacy runs.A long cross by McGoona put the Port defence
under pressure and minutes later a McIlvogue header struck the bar before
bouncing to safety. Ten mins into the second period McIlvogue took advantage
of a poor Danny Hughes clearance but McGuigan was quickly off his line and
saved well with his feet. Just after the hour mark Port went ahead when Carl
Owen headed down to find Ritchie Owen whose well place through ball gave
Gareth Caughter just enough space to shoot past Willcok from 12 yds.

The game remained a tense end to end battle with Caernarfon taking advantage
of the stiff breeze to put the Port defence under pressure but failing to
conjure up a clear opening. As the end approached it was the home side who
threatened once more with a Webber finding Gareth Parry in the box but this
time the midfielder was off target. Just before the end Mark Williams and
sub Andy Wagstaffe combined to create an opening for Carl Owen but the
striker, who has struck a barren period in front of goal lately, was foiled
by a good diving save by Willcock.

That was virtually the end and when the referee blew his final whistle Port
had notched their third successive victory to bring them up to 8th place in
the table and on to 18pts, level with Newtown and Caernarfon who lie just
ahead on goal difference.

Port: Gerard McGuigan, John G. Jones, Danny Hughes, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster(capt), Gareth Caughter, Gareth Parry(Tony Williams), Dafydd Evans,
Ritchie Owen(Andy Wagstaffe), Mark Wiliams, Carl Owen.
Subs not used: Campbell Harrison, Ceri Roberts, Peris Jones.

Caernarfon: Ian Willcock, Paul Roberts, Paul Wilson, Tim Brandreth, Mike
Maloney, Leigh Williams, Carl Rogers, Wayne Phillips, James McIlvogue,
Calvin Davies, Danny McGoona.
Subs: Gareth Griffiths, Adam Kelly, Ryan Harden.

Gareth Williams

Lluniau o'r Gem \ Pictures of the game.
Welsh Premier (JT Hughes, Mitsubishi) -Saturday, November 22nd

Barry Town ... 2        Porthmadog....3
Lawrence Davies 3       Ritchie Owen 25
Leon Jeanne 6           Dafydd Evans 40
                        Gareth Parry 58

The visiting supporters had hardly settled in their seats after being moved
around by some very high handed stewards before their team found themselves
two goals down.The damage was done by two players, Lawrence Davies and Leon
Jeanne making their return to the Barry team. In only the third minute
Jeanne used his pace on the left to round the defence before placing a
perfect cross leaving the totally unmarked Davies the simplest of tasks to
head past McGuigan into the net. Worse was to follow for after only six mins
Barry were two up when the referee Mr S. Jones of Swansea gave one of the
most innocuous penalties that you are ever likely to see. The ball was
crossed from the left and Port skipper Mike Foster appeared to lose his
footing slightly touching Lloyd Sloman who, in any case, did not appear to
be in a position to play the ball. The referee pointed to the spot and Leon
Jeanne did the rest.

Port, after their long journey, had given themselves a mountain to climb.
For a while they continued to make life difficult for themselves with some
lax passing and giving the ball away too easily. Gradually the visitors got
themselves back into the game though McGuigan was called into action after
23 mins to make a fine save from Alun Hughes. Then in the 25th minute Port
cut the deficit when Dafydd Evans crossed from the right for Carl Owen to
flick on and for Ritchie Owen to head past Rudall from 10 yds. Port now
began to control the game but Barry were still dangerous on the break and
McGuigan had to pull off another fine diving save to keep out Hughes.

Port eventually drew level after 40 mins when the referee awarded his second
penalty of the half. This came about when Gareth Parry headed over the
defence and into the Barry box. Mark Williams reacted first but as he
prepared to take the ball past keeper Rudall he was brought down. Up stepped
Dafydd Evans and drove the ball low past Rudall's right hand but not to the
referee's satisfaction and he had to place the ball on the spot once more.
This time Dafydd drove past Rudall's left hand and Port were level.

The visitors continued well on top at the start of the second period when
Webber headed Ritchie Owen's corner narrowly wide and soon afterwards Carl
Owen was unlucky to see his spectacular overhead kick fly past the upright.
After 58 mins Port went deservedly ahead when they set up a promising
interchange of passes down the left before Ritchie Owen, who was having an
excellent game on the left side of midfield, slipped a low ball into the
centre for his fellow midfielder Gareth Parry. Parry also having a fine game
broke into the box holding off a challenge and from 12 yds shot low past
Rudall into the corner of the net.

Visiting supporters now sat back expecting one or two more goals. These in
fact did not materialise though on the hour mark Port should have had a
second penalty when Carl Owen was brought down when he appeared clean
through the Barry defence. This looked to be a far more blatant penalty than
either of the other two which Mr Jones had given, but play was just waved
on. Port still created chances and Rudall had to be alert to keep out
Webber's downward header and a first-time effort by Carl Owen flew just over
the bar.

Barry were however in no mood to capitulate and, though Jeanne was no longer
the threat he had been in the early stages, the home side forced three
corners in quick succession late on and it also took a well timed tackle by
Gareth Parry to keep out Sherman who was through on goal.

When referee Jones blew his whistle the home side were still looking for
their first elusive win of the season. Port on the other hand after a rocky
period had notched up a second successive victory which brought them up to
ninth place in the table.

Barry: Rudall, Picknell, Morgan Harris, Elliot, Gavin Rees, Lloyd Sloman,
Dave Sherman, Clarke, Lawrence Davies, Alun Hughes, Leon Jeanne.
Subs: Carwyn Jones, Sion Jones, Steve Minett.

Port: Gerard McGuigan, John G Jones, Emrys Williams, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster(capt), Danny Hughes(Steve Pugh), Gareth Parry, Dafydd Evans, Ritchie
Owen, Mark Williams(Tony Williams), Carl Owen(Gareth Caughter)

Gareth Williams.

Welsh Premier (JT Hughes Mitsubishi)    -Saturday, November 15th

Porthmadog .... 2        Aberystwyth ....1
Ritchie Owen 15         Lee Spike 17
Lee Webber  52

This game kicked off at 2.00pm, a grudging concession by the visitors to
events in Moscow, but those who stayed away missed a treat. Any neutral
spectator could be forgiven for thinking that Port were the team that were
challenging at the top of the table as they took the game by the scruff of
the neck from the first kick. The home side could have gone ahead in the
first minute when an useful Dafydd Evans cross reached Carl Owen in space
on the left but the striker found the angle too narrow and failed to
convert the opportunity. The pressure was kept up and after 9 mins Mark
Williams came within inches of converting what would have been a
spectacular overhead shot on goal.

Six mins later and it was no more than Port deserved when they went
ahead. First Mark Williams had a shot cleared off the line then Lee Webber
drove the ball through a crowded box and Ritchie Owen touched the ball
past Worsnop into the net. The lead lasted for only two mins as once again the
defence blundered to concede a very untidy goal, when keeping a tight hold
on things was all that was needed. Lee Spike took advantage of the slack
defence, and a ricochet, to level the score.

Port though continued to dominate and it remains a mystery how the home
side did not restore their advantage after 25mins when first of all
Worsnop pushed Gareth Parry's header against the post and Mark Williams
put the ball in the net but the referee had spotted an offence. Aberystwyth
rarely threatened and their only real strike on goal came from a Lawless
free-kickwell saved by McGuigan.Apart from this effort the much praised
Lawless had liitle impact on the game as he was kept well in check by John
Gwynfor who turned in another excellent performance.The opening half ended with
Port again on the attack with Baker doing well to clear another Gareth
Parry header off the line and Carl Owen, whose pace often exposed the
sluggish visitors' defence, broke on the right but his low shot was well saved by Worsnop.

There was little change in the second period where Port if anything were
even more dominant.Even the news that TNS had slipped up failed to inspire
them. Aber did however have an early chance when Bari Morgan, failed to 
take advantage of a poor Webber defensive header, blasting his shot well
over. Seven mins into the second half and Mike Foster, showing throughout
that he was  back to full fitness, floated across a perfect free-kick for
Lee Webber at the far post to finish with a classic header back across the
keeper and into the net. At the other end the scorer then failed to clear
and gave Mark Lloyd Williams his only sight of goal in the entire game a
nd on this occasion McGuigan was on hand to deal with his effort on goal.
Emrys Williams' tight control of the dangerous 'Juice' was probably a
decisive factor in the game.

By now Dafydd Evans was running the game from midfield spraying passes to
both flanks. A fine ball to the right found Mark Williams on the right and
Worsnop cleared at the near post under pressure from Carl Owen. Then Ev
ans sent Carl Owen through on the left and by now a desperste Finley could
only stop him at the expense of a yellow card. Though Port were well on
top their failure to add a third meant that Aber were always in with a

Towards the end they did mount some serious attacks and twice Spike got
on the end of crosses but McGuigan again proved equal to the task. In fact
even in the closing stages Port seemed the more likely to score and subs
Tony Williams and Steve Pugh, on the counter-attack, should have done
better when the Aber defence was once more outpaced. When the final
whistle blew Port had deservedly taken Aber's unbeaten league record and
the visitors left the field knowing that the defeat could well have been far
Viv Williams will be pleased not only with the three points but also the
manner in which the victory was gained -by playing their passing game. And
to cap it all didn't Osian do well in Moscow?! All in all I'd say it's b
een a perfect day.

Port: Gerard McGuigan, John G Jones, Emrys Williams, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster(capt), Danny Hughes, Gareth Parry, Dafydd Evans, Rutchie Owen, Mark
Williams(Tony Williams), Carl Owen(Steve Pugh). Sub not used: Gareth

Aber: Worsnop, D Burrows, Chris Short, Ben Jones, Ged Hennigan, Gary 
Finley,Phil Baker, Mark Ll. Williams, Bari Morgan, Lee Spike, Glyndwr 
Hughes, John Lawless.
Subs: Chris O'Sullivan,Tappin, Cerith Davies.

Gareth Williams

Welsh Premier League(JT Hughes, Mitsubishi) -Saturday, November 1st.

Port Talbot 3......     Porthmadog ....2
Mark Dodds 16, 86   Lee Webber 68
Hayden Fleming 82   Mark Williams 73

It was a case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for Porthmadog as
they let slip a 2-1 advantage held with only 8 mins left. It appeared that
the visitors were going to break the sequence of poor results when disaster
struck twice in the space of only four minutes. First Mark Williams gave the
ball away in midfield with a downward header which ran into the path of
Hayden Fleming, for the home side, and he took full advantage of the error,
drilling a clean 25 yd effort low into the net. Before Porthmadog could
utter the words "We'll settle for a draw", Mark Dodds collected wide on the
right and held off a challenge by Lee Webber  before breaking into the box
and settling the match with a clinical finish.

Despite their lowly league positions both sides turned in good performances
and provided the crowd with a thrilling end to end game. Mark Williams, for
Porthmadog, tested Rayner in the 2nd min with a flicked header from Dafydd
Evans' early free-kick. While at the other end Craig Hughes shot narrowly
wide and Dodds gave McGuigan an early taster following Cockings free-kick
from the right. John Gwynfor provided Carl Owen with an useful ball but the
striker was forced wide and only succeeded in winning a corner. Then with
Porthmadog applying the pressure the home side turned defence into attack in
the most decisive fashion. A quickly taken long free-kick caught out the
visitors defence allowing Mark Dodds to get behind them and scoring with a
low shot from the edge of the box which gave McGuigan, in goal, no chance.

Port soon replied with a good three man move involving John Gwynfor, Mark
Williams and Carl Owen but the latter's shot was well saved by Raynor. At
the other end McGuigan made a scrambled save after Johnson had turned well
in the box and soon after Wayne Savage was only narrowly wide with his 25yd
effort. Towards the end of the opening half Gareth Parry, for the visitors,
let fly a powerful 20 yd effort following good work by Carl Owen and Mark

The visitors started the second-half strongly and after only 3 mins Gareth
Parry whipped across a good ball from the right and it took the full 6ft
5ins of Simon Raynor to touch Gareth Caughter's header over the bar. Soon a
good three man move involved Dafydd Evans, Danny Hughes and Carl Owen for
the latter to test Raynor again. On the hour mark Porthmadog introduced the
width that had so obviously been lacking in the opening half when Pugh and
Tony Williams replaced doubtful starters Carl Owen and Gareth Parry. A
minute later and they almost found a way through when Ritchie Owen's
free-kick, initially misheaded by Mark Williams only for Caughter to head
over when well placed. Then on 68 mins came the breakthrough when Ritchie
Owen's free-kick from the right was headed on by Mark Williams finding Lee
Webber unmarked in front of goal and the defender made no mistake from close
range. Five minutes later and the visitors, now well on top, took the lead
when Mark Williams took advantage of another set piece to flick Dafydd Evans
right wing free-kick curling it over Raynor's outstretched arms and into the

Having gone ahead Porthmadog made the crucial error of sitting back and
trying to sit on their lead when they could have gone on to win the game.
They now yielded possession and Johnson and Fleming started to control the
midfield. Port Talbot then with two goals in the last eight minutes snatched
the victory which had earlier seemed out of their reach.

Porthmadog will rue the failure to clinch the victory in a game where the
very least they deserved was a draw. They will however be pleased with the
two goals after such a barren period. Their general play also showed
considerable improvement on recent performances again underlining the fact
that they play best when they use wide players.

Port Talbot: Raynor, Cockings, Gurney(Casey), Carter, Hancock, Fleming,
Savage, Johnson, Dodds(Driscoll), Craig Hughes, Matthews(Wigg).

Porthmadog: McGuigan, John G. Jones, Emrys Williams, Lee Webber, Ritchie
Owen, Danny Hughes,(Harrison), Dafydd Evans, Gareth Parry(Steve Pugh),
Gareth Caughter, Mark Williams, Carl Owen(Tony Williams)

Gareth Williams.

Welsh Premier League(JT Hughes, Mitsubishi)  -Saturday, October 25th

Porthmadog ...... 0        Haverfordwest County .... 2
                           Tim Hicks 17, 71.

The six straight defeats became seven as Port tumbled to a home defeat at a
wet and dismal Traeth. Things could have been so different when, after only
7 mins, referee M.S. Whitby pointed to the spot and showed Eston Chiverton a
yellow card for bringing down Richard Owen in the box just as the midfielder
was about to shoot at goal from 12yds out. Up stepped, the usually reliable
penalty taker, Dafydd Evans who, instead of his usual trade mark blaster,
tried to place the ball past Lee Kendall in the visitors goal, but the
keeper guessed correctly and saved well near his right hand post.

This punishment for this failure was doubled after 17 mins when Tim Hicks
took advantage of a speedy break on the right by Nicky Palmer followed by a
quick transfer into the box where Hicks shot powerfully to beat McGuigan at
his near post. The goal apart there was little in the way of goalmouth
incident with neither side creating many chances. The best Port effort came
following a good run on the left by Carl Owen before cutting into the box
but he lacked support and the chance did not materialise. On the stroke of
half-time Rhys Griffiths for the visitors let fly from 25 yds but his
powerful effort flew wide.

Port enjoyed their best period of the game just after the interval with
Dafydd Evans, John Gwynfor and particularly Gareth Parry prompting well in
midfield. With Pugh on as sub on the right the home side abandoned their
ineffective long ball game and made the visitors defence work hard as the
ball was played around constructively. Near the hour Pugh broke on the right
and supplied Gareth Parry but the midfielder's shot was off target. The
visitors now called on the experience of defenders Chiverton, Wyn Thomas and
player-manager Deryn Brace to weather the storm and this they did

Soon the dangerous trio of Hicks, Palmer and Rhys Griffiths were threatening
again. Palmer and Griffiths combined well after 62 mins only for the latter
to see his header strike the post before bouncing to safety. McGuigan was
now more and more in the thick of things, in the home goal, and after 67
mins was forced to make a point blank save as the middle of the home defence
was opened up.Four minutes later came the goal which virtually settled
matters and again it was a break on the right by Palmer who switched a good
low ball into the box for the lively Hicks to find himself in oplenty of
space in the box and made no mistake sending a low shot past McGuigan. Hicks
was denied his hat-trick as McGuigan pulled off another good save after the
forward received from Griffiths' downward header.

There was no way back for Port and though late on sub Wagstaffe managed to
get behind the visitors' defence there was no one on hand to convert his
useful low cross. These are worrying times for manager Viv Williams as the
team faces the long journey next week to Port Talbot knowing that they have
now gone three matches without scoring a goal.

Port: Gerard McGuigan, John G Jones, Emrys Williams, Lee Webber, Mike
Foster(Andy Wagstaffe), Danny Hughes(Steve Pugh), Dafydd Evans, Gareth
Parry, Ritchie Owen, Mark Williams(Gareth Caughter), Carl Owen.

Haverfordwest: Lee Kendall, Deryn Brace, Wayne Jones, Adrian Harris, Wyn
Thomas, Eston Chiverton, Nicky Palmer, Tim Hicks, Rhys Griffiths, Colin
Loss, Darren Ryan.
Subs: Chris Miller, Dylan Blain, Rob Jones, Lee Walters, Haydn Ralph.

Gareth Williams.


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us