t CPD Porthmadog FC - Adroddiad / Match Report
CPD Porthmadog FC
Cymru North

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Ruthin Town (h) Ruthin Town (a) Buckley Town (h) Prestatyn Town (a) Chirk AAA (h) Mold Alex (a) Cefn Druids (a) Colwyn Bay (h) Chirk AAA (h) Penrhyncoch (h) Gresford (a) Llanidloes (h) Colwyn Bay (h)

27/04/23 Cwpan y Gynghrair (Ffeinal Y Gogledd) / League Cup (Northern Final)

CPD PORTHMADOG ............1
Meilir Williams 23'

COLWYN BAY ................3
Matty Hill 24'
Sam Downey 62'
Craig Lindfield 73'(p)

Reaching a final was a huge bonus for Port fans at the end of a season which saw them maintain their status within the Cymru North. Few would have expected us to achieve a positive result against the league champions but, for a fleeting moment, it looked as if a substantial upset was on the cards.

The Seagulls dominated the opening fifteen minutes in terms of both territorial advantage and possession but Port`s backline were not unduly troubled. Several Port players, however, were guilty of expecting the ball to come to them rather than adopting a more ‘go get it’ approach and this resulted in some timely interceptions by the more fleet of foot and quick-thinking Bay players.

Shortly after the 20 minute mark, however, the almost unthinkable happened as Port took a shock lead when Alex Boss tried his luck with a rasping drive from a good twenty yards out. The shot proved too hot to handle for Crichton in the Bay goal who parried the ball straight into the path of Meilir Williams who gleefully tapped the ball home into an unguarded net. The lead was completely against the run of play but even the most lukewarm Port supporter would not have cared one jot. It was 1-0 to Port and very much ‘game on’!

Sadly, from a Port perspective, the lead was to last a mere three minutes as Matty Hill headed home in unstoppable and magnificent fashion as he rose high to nod the ball way beyond Morgan Jones' reach to level the score at 1-1.What a goal!

Bay upped the ante after this and it took a smart save by to his left by Morgan Jones to ensure that no further damage was incurred before the break.

Port started the second half in encouraging fashion and came close to regaining the lead in the first minute .Cai Jones relayed the ball to Mahoney on the left wing and his cross was met with a diving header by Alex Boss which went just over the bar.

The half was fifteen minutes old when the Bay took the lead for the first time in the match. There was a strong suspicion of off-side when a Bay player received the ball on the right wing before crossing into the box. A strong point-blank header was superbly parried away by Morgan Jones but the ball fell kindly to Sam Downey whose strong low shot was deflected into the roof of the net to make it 2-1 in the Seagulls` favour.

Port responded commendably by stringing some good moves together but you always felt that the Bay had another goal in them and thus it transpired ten minutes later when referee Mark James gifted them with a very soft penalty award. A Bay player seemed to fall over the ball rather than an attempted challenge but I suppose a Port supporter would say that all day long. Anyway, up stepped Craig Lindfield to slam the ball to Morgan`s right to put the game to bed at 3-1.

As the Bay sat back in the closing minutes, their keeper had to make a great fingertip save to keep out a strong left-footed free kick by Tom Mahoney and, to their credit, Port continued to launch swift attacks to the bitter end.

To Colwyn Bay go the spoils and our warmest congratulations on a thoroughly deserved victory at the end of an absorbing match. All the best to this very fine club as they step up next season to the Cymru Premier.

Porthmadog :- Morgan Jones (GK), Josh Banks, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Gareth Jones-Evans 46`), Ifan Emlyn (Kian Hughes 77`), Alex Boss, Tom Mahoney, Meilir Williams (Cian Pritchard 67`), Cai Jones, Marcus Banks (Gruff Ellis 46`), Cai Parry (Gerwyn Williams 46`) Unused subs :- Ben Fisher, Iolo Thomas

Colwyn Bay :- Jack Crichton (GK), Joseph Williams, Cai Owen ( W. MicKinley 84`), Sam Downey, Matthew Hill (W. McKinley 84`), Craig Lindfield, Guto Williams, Samuel Hart, Kristian Platt, Alex Downes, Tom Creamer (N/A 90`+6`). Unused subs :-Keiran Jones, Joel Giblin

Dyfarnwr /Referee :- Mark James Cynorthwywyr/Assistants :- Richard Luke Dolphin, Josh Roper + Andy Harms (Fourth Official)
Attendance: 876

Treflyn Jones

15/04/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Y Traeth 2.30pm

Noddwr / Match Sponsor: Hayden E Williams Syrfeiwyr Siartredig / Chartered Surveyors
Noddwyr y Bęl / Match Ball Sponsors: Children’s Farm Park / Slate Caverns Llanfair & Jason Hughes Flooring

CPD PORTHMADOG ............3
Meilir Williams 19'
Nathan Williams 45'+1'
Marcus Banks 59'

LLANIDLOES TOWN ...........0

At the end of Porthmadog`s final game of the season, it was nice to record a comfortable victory and the margin of Port`s win was well merited.

It was the visitors, however, who conjured up the game`s first goalscoring opportunity as George Clarke`s low drive went narrowly past the upright after Port`s Cai Parry had been dispossessed in midfield. Port soon settled and did very well on the whole to keep possession of the ball during the first period. The hosts went close twice in the next few minutes. Ifan Emlyn`s incisive pass put Meilir Williams in a good attacking position on the edge of the box and presented Alex Boss with a seemingly good goalscoring opportunity, but as the diminutive winger prepared to pull the trigger he appeared to be brought down by a clumsy tackle but referee Andy Harms waved play on. Next, Cai Jones was put through on goal by a ball over the top but his firm volley went narrowly over the bar.

On nineteen minutes, Port deservedly took the lead when an attempted low drive by the excellent Tom Mahoney came off a defender`s heel straight into the path of Meilir Williams who tapped home from close range past Luke Evans to put the hosts 1-0 up. Llani`s experienced striker Jamie Breese was then guilty of missing an opportunity when one on one with Port`s Morgan Jones before Port went agonizingly close to doubling their advantage. Meilir Williams did superbly well to lob the ball with accuracy past the keeper but a high bounce off the turf caused the ball to crash against the crossbar and bounce away to safety.

Just past the half hour mark, the dangerous Breese was guilty of another miss when clean through on goal as he blazed his shot high over Morgan Jones` goal. Then, on the stroke of half time, Port did double their money. A high-floated inswinging corner kick by Ifan Emlyn was fumbled by the keeper and Nathan Williams was on hand right behind him to nod the ball home to the delight of the Quarry End contingent. The half ended with a 2-0 scoreline in Port`s favour.

Several substitutions were made at the start of the second period, and, much to Port`s credit, the team did not lift their foot of the gas. Indeed, after 57`, Port increased their lead in somewhat bizzare fashion. Ifan Emlyn`s low free kick hit the right hand post before rolling along the goal-line to hit the other post before Marcus Banks stepped forward to tap home that second rebound to make it 3-0 to Port.

Port continued to attack with enthusiasm and purpose and, with more composure and a determination to take on the shot that little bit earlier could well have extended the lead still further. However, 3-0 it remained and Port ended their season on 33 points which is not to be sniffed at.

Next Saturday, we travel to Maes Tegid in Bala to face the mighty league champions Colwyn Bay in the Northern final of the Welsh Blood Service Cup. A daunting prospect on paper but in a cup clash, you just never know. See you there! (2.30 kick-off )

Porthmadog :- Morgan Jones (GK), Josh Banks, Nathan Williams, Tom Mahoney, Ifan Emlyn, Alex Boss, (Alex Boss 66`) Meilir Williams (Gerwyn Williams 45`), Cai Jones (capt.) (Gareth Jones Evans 45`), Kian Hughes (Cian Pritchard 45`), Gruff Ellis, Cai Parry (Marcus Banks 57`) Unused subs :- Iolo Thomas , Stuart Rodgers. Yellow card :- Josh Banks (89`)

Llanidloes :- Luke Evans (GK), Rhys Hesden, Ryan Biggs (J. Peck 65`), Lance Jones (R. Evans 78`), Daniel Lewis, Adam Worton, Andrew Evans, Edward Clarke (capt.), Joshua Hartrick (J. Jones 78`), Jamie Breese, George Clarke (J. Jones65`).Unused sub :- David Jarman,

Dyfarnwr /Referee :- Andy Harms Cynorthwywyr/Assistants :- Katie Hannah / Levi Robert

Attendance: 287

Treflyn Jones

07/04/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Y Graig / The Rock (Home of Cefn Druids) 7.30pm

GRESFORD ATHLETIC ............. 3
T Gallagher-Keenan 8'
S Spridgeon 34'
D Deacon 62'

CPD PORTHMADOG ............... i
Kian Hughes 73',

Unfortunately, a rather lack-lustre performance saw Port comfortably beaten by a strong Gresford. Funnily enough, it all started so brightly for the visitors as Port dominated the opening 5 minutes. Indeed, in the first minute, Ifan Emlyn hit the upright with an in-swinging corner kick and shortly after, Cai Parry failed to control a glorious pass from Nathan Williams into the box when well-placed. Two minutes later, Rhys Williams in the Gresford goal was forced into a fine reflex save after a great run and shot by Tom Mahoney.

Then, on seven minutes, with their very first attack of the game, Gresford undeservedly took the lead. Alex Buxton did very well to beat a defender for pace and his low cross found Gallagher- Keen at the far post to score with a sliding tap-in. It was horribly, horribly against the run of play but from then on, just to rub salt into the wound, Gresford took almost complete control of the match. Morgan Jones had to make save after save and Port`s forays into the opposition`s box became as rare as hen`s teeth as the half wore on.

It was no surprise at all when Gresford doubled their advantage shortly after the half-hour mark when Sam Spridgeon got on the end of a beautifully weighted low pass by Gallagher-Keen and slotted home past Morgan Jones as cool as you like. For the remainder of the half, some good saves by Morgan just about kept us in the game.

Only twelve minutes into the second period, Gresford hit the post after a strong run and volley before the hosts made the game safe with a thumping header by Dominic Deacon from a pin-point cross from the left flank. Great goal and 3-0.

For the remainder of the half, Port, to their credit, began to get their game together as Gresford sat back in contentment with their lot, and with some 18 minutes remaining, substitute Kian Hughes reduced the arrears with a wonderful low shot from outside the box after excellent work on the wing by the tireless Alex Boss. We rather like consolations at Port and this one was a bit special.

We should have scored again near the end but this time Alex Boss delayed his close range shot and the chance was gone.

A deserved win for Gresford on the good-looking 3-G surface. Port have work to do if they are to put in a stronger performance next season.

Gresford: Rhys Williams (GK), Harvey Ellis (K. Byrne 90`), Paul Johnson, Thomas Jenkins, Joshua Griffiths, Simon Smith, Alex Buxton, Dominic Deacon (G. Yarwood 86`) , Gallagher-Keen (J. Jackson 90`), Sam Spridgeon ( S. Gittins 57`) Unused sub:- Matthew Busby.

Porthmadog: Morgan Jones, Tom Mahoney, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn (Cai Pritchard 75'), Alex Boss, Gareth Jones Evans (Iolo Thomas 45'), Meilir Williams (Gerwyn Williams 46'), Cai Jones (Kian Hughes 59'), Gruff Ellis, Cai Parry (Stuart Rogers 46').Unused subs: Marcus Banks, Jason Banks.

Yellow: Alex Boss 67'

Dyfarnwr / Referee: Connor Charlton Fleming Cynorthwywyr / Assistants: Ryan Hughes, Jake Smith
Attendance: 128

Treflyn Jones

penrhyncochh 25/03/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Y Traeth 2.30pm

Noddwr / Match Sponsor: TANRONNEN INN, Beddgelert
Noddwyr y Bęl / Match Ball Sponsors: Children’s Farm Park / Slate Caverns Llanfair & Jason Hughes Flooring

CPD PORTHMADOG ............2
Stuart Rogers 43'
Gerwyn Williams 60'
PENRHYNCOCH ..................1
Dan Owen 45+2'

Home wins have been a rare commodity for Port this term but this one was possibly the sweetest as it guaranteed the club`s safety within the J.D. Cymru league for the season. The victory was hard-earned but probably deserved on the balance of play.

The first goal-scoring chance fell to the visitors in the shape of the experienced Geoff Kellaway but his first-time volley from ten yards out was ill-directed and sailed over the bar. The bulk of the remaining chances during the half fell to the home side. On fifteen minutes, Port came agonizingly close to drawing first blood when the tireless Alex Boss latched on to a good lay-off from Meilir Williams and his strong shot slammed against the crossbar. Three minutes later, the hosts came close again when an intricate move put Stuart Rogers clean through on goal but his attempted placement was comfortably gathered by Fairbrother in the Penrhyn goal. We went close again a few minutes later when Cai Jones was offered what would have been a tap-in if it were not for a very bad bobble which meant that his attempt went well over the bar.

Mid-way through the first half, the visitors were looking increasingly dangerous on the break and it took a sharp save by Morgan Jones in the Port goal to foil Kellaway`s low close-range drive.

Just before the half-hour mark a great run on to the by-line by Alex Boss set up Meilir Williams but his careful shot came off the post and shortly after, a good-looking shot from twenty yards by Cian Pritchard went straight into the keeper`s arms.

On 41minutes, however, Port took the lead after a looping high ball into Penrhyn`s box was only partially cleared and, following good work by Cai Jones, Stuart Rogers drove the ball low into the corner of the net beyond Fairbrother`s right hand.

The game was drifting towards the half-time whistle, when, much to the horror of the home faithful, Penrhyncoch equalized …… and yes folks……. It was in the forty seventh minute!

G-R-R-R-R!!! Penrhyncoch patiently kept possession within Port`s box before a clever back-heel by the wily Kellaway presented a great chance to Dan Owen which the young striker took with aplomb and the half ended somewahat unexpectedly all square at one-apiece.

Worryingly, the visitors kicked off the second half in the same way as they ended the first and Port were lucky to see a tremendous shot by Josh Shaw thundering off the post and the follow up shot forced Jones into another great save.

Port kept their heads and on the hour mark, an excellent move involving Nathan Williams and Josh Banks culminated in a low, measured cross from Stuart Rogers being tapped-in, by substitute Gerwyn Williams, at the.far-post. 2-1 Port

A few more chances fell Port`s way before the end. A strong run by Gerwyn Williams ended with an equally powerful shot which went narrowly over and a good header by Gruff Ellis was watchfully gathered by Fairbrother. To be fair, there were several anxious moments at the other end, but Port held on to drag themselves up to the magic 30 points mark and, therefore, to safety at last.

Port will next be in action at Gresford on April 7th (Good Friday) with a 7.30 kick-off possibly. Watch this space!

Porthmadog :-Morgan Jones (GK) , Stuart Rogers, Josh Banks (Cai Parry 62`), Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (capt.) (Iolo Thomas 81`), Gruff Ellis, Alex Boss, Tom Mahoney (Gerwyn Williams 45`), Meilir Williams, Cai Jones, Cian Pritchard (Gareth Jones Evans 45`), Unused subs :- Kian Williams, Craig Papyrnik (GK)

Penrhyncoch :- Oliver Fairbrother (GK), Tomos Evans (capt.), Jamie Jones, Taylor Watts (Charlie Mann 74`), Matthew Pemberthy, Kieron Booker (N.A. 81`), Cai Thomas (Carwyn Davies 81`), Josh Shaw, Courtney Perkins, Geoff Kellaway, Dan Owen. Also :- one unused sub.

Dyfarnwr /Referee :- Mark James
Cynorthwywyr/Assistants :- David Griffiths, Simon McCormick
Torf/ Attendance :- 263

Treflyn Jones

18/03/23 Welsh Blood Service League Cup Y Traeth 2.00pm

Noddwr / Match Sponsor: Laud Meredith
Noddwyr y Bęl / Match Ball Sponsors:Mari a Rhys Williams /Bwydydd Oren Foods

CPD PORTHMADOG .............. 1
Tom Mahoney 75'

CHIRK AAA ....................... 1
Jake Ellison 90'+1'

(Porthmadog win on penalties 5-3)

“Cawn ddisgwyl adroddiad cadarnhaol heno!”/ “We can expect a positive report tonight!” said our friend Tommie Collins as we heard the final whistle at the end of a real nail-biter and a slender victory signalling further improvement in the team over the last three weeks or so. Indeed, this performance overall was a far cry from our woeful defeat at Chirk`s hands a month ago.

There were few highlights during an equal but absorbing first half. Gareth Jones-Evans attempted a shot at goal which sailed over the bar on 6 minutes, and 5 minutes later, the powerful Max McGlaughlin for Chirk drove just past the upright after one of many good runs. Chirk came very close when Port keeper Morgan Jones made a trademark stop with his legs right on the goal-line and a strong left-footer by Port`s Nathan Williams was deflected into Mark Richards` arms in the Chirk goal. Chirk`s Jack Edwards was put clean through by a clever pass but the angle was narrowed by a Port defender as he blazed over the bar. Port came close with a good-looking header by Nathan Williams but his worthy attempt cannoned off a defender`s shoulder to safety. And that was it for the first period. All square at 0-0.

Early in the second half, Cian Pritchard dodged a couple of defenders before shooting low past the post, and then, there occurred a moment of huge controversy and a massive slice of luck from Port`s point of view. Chirk, not for the first time, bore down on Port`s goal with pace and Morgan Jones was forced into two very fine double saves or so it appeared. Chirk persistently protested that one of these attempts had crossed the line and, I have to say that a reliable source in the shape of Chirk`s match photographer displayed evidence that would tend to support their claim. Oh, dear!

A few minutes later, Port`s Cai Jones had the ball in the net but his ‘goal’ was disallowed for off-side.

On 75` minutes, Port took the lead as their persistence in the opponents` box earned them a corner. Ifan Emlyn floated in a left-footed inswinger and the excellent Tom Mahoney rose high above everyone to nod home and to set up a very nervous final 15 minutes.

Well….you guessed it. We just could not hold on to the end and it seemed almost inevitable that we would concede yet another late, late goal. A corner from the left was not properly cleared and Jake Ellison produced a stunning low volley to even things up and take the match immediately into penalties i.e. NO extra-time.

To cut a long story short, Port converted each of their allotted five spot-kicks whereas Chirk missed one of theirs courtesy of a fine save to his left by Morgan Jones. It was left to Cai Jones to convert the winning kick as he shot confidently past the left hand of Mark Richards to finally make it 5-3 in Port`s favour.

Port will now face champions elect Colwyn Bay in the northern final at a neutral venue to be confirmed later.

As for our league status, we are all but secure after both Holyhead and Penrhyncoch suffered defeats today. Next Saturday we welcome Penrhyncoch to Y Traeth for a league encounter which could guarantee our safety for this season . Kick-off :- 2.30.

Porthmadog :-Morgan Jones (GK), Stuart Rogers,Josh Banks,Nathan Williams, Gruff Ellis, Ifan Emlyn, Alex Boss (Gerwyn Williams 75`), Tom Mahoney, Cai Jones, Cian Pritchard, (Marcus Banks 75`) Gareth Jones-Evans, (Meilir Williams 66`) Unused subs:- Kian Hughes, Cai Parry, Harri Hughes, Iolo Thomas

Chirk A.A.A. :- Mark Richards, Jack Edwards, Ryan Williams, Jake Ellison, Matty Williams, Ashton Williams (Adam Williams 86`), Rhys Edwards, J. Phillips (Jake Jones 80`), Dale Davies, Steffan Rogers (T. Lloyd 80`), Max McLaughlin (Louie Middlehurst 86`) Yellow cards :-Ashton Williams (72`), Andy Pride (team manager 71`)

Dyfarnwr /Referee :- Mark James Cynorthwywyr/Assistants :- Luke Allsop, Alun Jones.
Torf/ Attendance :- 176 (our lowest this season, I believe.)

Treflyn Jones

11/03/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Y Traeth 2.30pm

Noddwyr y Bęl / Match Ball Sponsors:HELER Foods Packing & Jason Hughes Flooring

CPD PORTHMADOG .............. 0

COLWYN BAY ....................... 2
Sam Hart 27', 40'

If anyone came to the match today expecting nothing more than an exercise in ‘damage limitation’ from the hosts, then they were in for a rather pleasant surprise as Port tried their level best to get forward as often as possible and also managed to put in a creditable second half performance against their illustrious visitors. Moreover, the Bay`s very substantial and good-humoured travelling supporters created an excellent atmosphere throughout the match. The visitors were good value for the win but it was nice to see a significant improvement in Port`s performance compared to our last home debacle against Chirk.

The opening 20 minutes or so were pretty much even-stevens but it was Port who started marginally the brighter as shown by Bay keeper Jack Crichton having to tip over a dangerous cross by GJE on five minutes after linking up well with Alex Boss. The same player unleashed a twenty yard shot on 8 minutes but it drifted just wide of the upright. Two minutes later, it was the Bay`s turn as a strong volley by Matthew Hill went just over the crossbar. On 23 minutes a 20 yard effort from a tight angle also cleared the bar from the right boot of Port`s Meilir Williams.

On 27 minutes with Colwyn Bay ramping up the pressure on Morgan Jones` goal, the visitors opened the scoring with a close range shot by Sam Hart. Port defenders appealed earnestly for off-side but their protests were waved away by referee James Walker. 1-0 to the Bay.

Henceforth, the visitors continued to pressurize the home goal and some good-looking moves, many of which were prompted by the impressive winger Dylan Allshorn, were thwarted by last ditch blocks in the box.

Five minutes before the break, Colwyn Bay doubled their money with a glorious, thumping header into the roof of the net by that man Sam Hart to complete his double. 0-2 it ended at the break and deservedly so.

The Bay continued to launch quick attacks and twice Port keeper Morgan Jones did very well to block strong low shots by Allshorn with his legs.

As the half wore on, however, Port started to get their game together with tidy passes and more composed defending as exemplified by the excellent Tom Mahoney and Josh Banks. On 67 minutes, a daisy-cutter by GJE went past the post after good work by Meilir Williams and Cai Jones. Then, a minute later, Crichton had to get everything behind a good shot by Alex Boss.

Seven minutes from the end, Cai Parry`s strong half-volley appeared to come off a defender`s arm but all protests were rather surprisingly waved away and it ended 0-2 in favour of the champions in waiting.

Overall, this was a heartening and much-improved showing by Port as the unbeaten Colwyn Bay continue on their merry way towards their probable promotion. They will undoubtedly be warmly welcomed to the Premier. Here is a club with everything going for them. They have a very good team, great facilities and tremendous support. If they do go up, then all the best to them.

Next Saturday, Port will welcome the rejuvenated Chirk AAA`s to Y Traeth in the semi-final of the WBS Cup. Please note Kick-off at 2.00pm

Porthmadog :-Morgan Jones (GK) , Josh Banks, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (capt.)( Gruff Ellis 73`), Ifan Emlyn, Alex Boss, Tom Mahoney, Meilir Williams (Cian Pritchard 83`), Gerwyn Williams (Stuart Rogers 46`)), Cai Jones (Cai Parry 73`), Gareth Jones-Evans (Kian Hughes 83`).Unused subs :- Marcus Banks, Iolo Thomas Yellow cards:- Ifan Emlyn (30`)

Colwyn Bay :-Jack Crichton (GK), Cai Owen, Lewis Sirrell, Sam Downey, Tom McCready(capt.) (C.Lindfield 88`), Matthew Hill, Dylan Allshorn (S. Edwards 88`), Guto Williams, Sam Hart, Kristian Platt, Tom Creamer (J. Williams 73`) Unused subs:- C. Darling, W. Mckinley, J. Giblin

Dyfarnwr /Referee :- James Walker Cynorthwywyr/Assistants :- ryan Mark Hughes, Josh Jones

Torf/ Attendance :- 431

Treflyn Jones

03/03/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Y Graig / The Rock 7.45pm

CEFN DRUIDS ................... 1
Emmanuel Lawal 51'

CPD PORTHMADOG ............... 3
Meilir Williams 24', 95+5'
Ifan Emlyn 34'

A Friday night special for Port at The Rock and three precious points in the search for Cymru North safety. Port went two up in the opening half, a scoreline which has been something of a warning light for Port supporters during this season. But despite the nail-biting finish, as 10-man Druids reduced the arrears, this time it was Port’s turn to net a late, late clincher. If, at the season’s end, Port retain their place in the Cymru North, then it will be thanks to their away form. This win was their 6th on the road, which means that 19 of their 27 points have been collected away from home. Four of those away points have come in the last two games and represent a complete turn around following the home defeat to Chirk AAA.

Port made a good start to the game but without really threatening their opponent’s goal. Then on 24 minutes came the breakthrough that the travelling support had been hoping for. A top-quality touch by Meilir Williams brought the ball under control on the right side of the box and he followed up his good work with a fine angled shot to beat Ashton in the home goal.

Port went further ahead on 34 minutes. Jason Banks, making his first start since joining Port, was brought down just outside the box by Dean Clarke, an offence which resulted in the Druids player receiving a red card. Ifan Emlyn inflicted an even greater punishment when he doubled Port’s advantage from the resulting free kick, lifting his shot into the top corner of the net. 2-0 to Port.

Port held on to their advantage and half-time arrived with Port remaining 2-0 up.

Craig Papirnyk made two substitutions at the interval with Gareth Jones Evans and Gruff Ellis replacing Gerwyn Williams and Ifan Emlyn. But just 6 mins into the half Port suffered a setback. The Druids reduced the arrears when an early break led to Emmanuel Lawal finding the net. A worrying time for the travelling faithful and, even more so, for the management team, as recent events at Prestatyn and Mold came to cloud what should have been a positive picture.

Time crawled its way towards the 90 minute mark, as fears of another late act of highway robbery filled Port thoughts. Despite being down to 10 men for so long, the Druids were not going to give the visitors an easy ride.

Craig Papirnyk used his full ration of substitutes bringing on Cai Parry, Alex Boss and Stuart Rogers and it was Alex Boss, another returning from long term injury, who supplied the pass for Port’s added time decider. His pull-back from the left found Meilir Williams in the centre of the box and the striker coolly netted his second of the night. For once, it was the Port supporters who welcomed a late goal, though their well bitten finger nails would have appreciated it coming just a little earlier!

Following the weekend games, Port have moved up to 10th spot two points more than Gresford who were held to a draw at home by Prestatyn. Also, resulting from Conwy's home defeat to Mold Alex have opened a 7 point gap between themselves and the final relegation spot.

In his post match interview, a delighted Craig Papirnyk was full of praise for his squad "...a great result ..building on last week's performance." He also explained his use of a full quota of substitutes saying that many of his squad were carrying knocks and there was also illness within the camp.

A very attractive but difficult game awaits Port next Saturday when the champions in waiting COLWYN BAY visit the Traeth

Porthmadog: Morgan Jones, Josh Banks, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price (Cai Parry 61’), Ifan Emlyn (Gruff ellis 46’), Jason Banks (Alex Boss 65’), Tom Mahoney (Stuart Rogers 82’), Meilir Williams, Gerwyn Williams (Gareth J Evans 46’), Cai Jones, Iolo Thomas. Unused subs: C Papirnyk(gk), Ben Fisher. Yellow cards: Cai Parry 83’.

Dyfarnwr / Referee John Andrew Jones. Cynorthwywyr/ Assistants: Gavin Maloney, Jamie Oliver Monk.

Ymddiheuriadau nad oes gennym yr adroddiad llawn arferol / Apologies that we have been unable to bring the usual detailed report.

Dal i ddathlu 3 phwynt gwych!! / Still, we celebrate 3 great points!! C'mon Port!!

25/02/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Parc Alyn 2.00pm

MOLD ALEX ................... 2
Haci Ozlu 79'
Danny Warren 90'+5'

CPD PORTHMADOG ...............2
Nathan Williams 30'
Meilir Williams 42'(p)'

A week after the 0-5 defeat at home to Chirk AAA, a draw at Mold Alex would have been a good result but it could have been a really great result with Port 2 up with only 15 minutes to go.

The game started with the home side on the attack. Mold missed out on a great chance to take the lead in the opening minute, when Matty Lewis squared the ball to Danny Warren who blasted over from 8 yards.Warren threatend again within 2 minutes, when he was put through by Lewis, but his effort was cleared by the Port defence.

On 22 mins Dafydd Griffith, Mold's centre half, had a goal ruled offside by the assistant referee and had a shot blocked soon after, as Mold continued to press. Mendoza then missed an opportunity when he failed to connect to a dangerous Warren cross.

Rather against the run of play Port took the lead on 30 mins, when a cross from Ifan Emlyn was superbly headed into the Mold net by Nathan Williams, for his 4th goal of the season.

. Port were now on top and on 41 mins Jason Banks was brought down in the opposition box and referee Aled Williams pointed to the spot.

Meilir Williams struck the penalty low and hard to the Mold goalkeeper's left to double Port’s advantage.

Mold, however, finished the first half on the attack but Rhys Nash's overhead kick went narrowly wide of the Port goal and the same player had an effort well saved by Morgan Jones. Half time 0-2.

Port started the 2nd half brightly with Cai Parry, a half time substitute for Marcus Banks, taking a free kick which went narrowly over the bar and a minute later Gerwyn Williams had an effort in the 6 yard box, but this too went over the bar. However, it would have been disallowed as the assistant's flag was up for offside.

On 53 mins Nathan Williams' well struck effort from 35 yards out, was well saved by Mold goalkeeper Elliott Quinllan. Minutes later a superb Ifan Emlyn pass put Gerwyn Williams in on goal, but his first time effort went just past the post.

Later in the half Mold started to gain more posession and were growing increasingly into the match forcing Iolo Thomas to clear off the line. This was quickly followed by a Danny Warren header which Morgan Jones saved and an Alex Smith effort, but this time well over the bar.

On 79 mins Mold eventually made their impact when Haci Ozlu received the ball, cut inside and his curling effort went into the top right corner of the net with no chance for Morgan Jones in the Port goal. 1-2.

Mold were up for it now, and on 83 mins Rhys Nash shot just wide of the post and this was followed by a loud appeal by Mold for a handball in the Port area, but the referee waved play on.

Just when Port thought they had done enough for a win, on 90+5' Mold broke away with Rhys Nash driving into the Port box picking out Danny Warren whose effort went in off the post.

30 seconds later the referee blows for full time 2-2.Oh! the agony!! But a point gained puts us on 24 points, with 5 matches to go.

Though really disappointing to concede so late in the game, the point keeps Port in 11th place and edges them closer to safety, behind Gresford, in 10th, on goal difference, and 4pts clear of Conwy Borough, who currently occupy the 3rd relegation spot.

.A much improved and committed performance by the lads which deserved more.

Diolch am eich cefnogaeth gwerthfawrogir yn fawr iawn .
Thanks for your continued support which is much appreciated.

Next up away at Cefn Druids next Friday k.o.7.45pm

Porthmadog: Morgan Jones, Stuart Rogers, Nathan Williams, Tom Mahoney, Iolo Thomas, Ifan Emlyn (Harri Hughes 78'), Marcus Banks (Cai Parry 46’), Cai Jones, Gerwyn Williams, Meilir Williams, Jason Banks (Alex Boss 59’). Unused subs: Ben Fisher, Gethin Williams, Craig Papirnyk (gk).

Mold Alex: Elliot Quinlan, Matthew Lewis, Steve Watkins, Ryan Corney, H Ozlu, Danny Warren, J Watkin (S McHugh 78'), Rhys Nash, Dafydd Griffith, N Mendoza, Henry Nash (A Smith 64’).
Yellow: Dafydd Griffith 39’, Ryan Coney, Danny Warren 88', M Cunningham (manager) 89'
Unused subs: J Barratt, L Emberton, B Jacobson

. Dyfarnwr / Referee: Aled Rhys Williams. Cynorthwywyr / Assistants: Simon McCormick, David Griffiths.
Torf / Attendance: 111

Dylan Rees

07/02/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Y Traeth 2.30pm

Noddwr / Match Sponsor: GARY FALCONER Electricals

CPD PORTHMADOG .............. 0

CHIRK AAA .....................5
Mike McGloughlin 19'
Dale Davies 38'
Rhys Edwards 39'
Matty Williams 69'
Louie Middlehurst 80'

Oh, dear! This was a ‘must win’ game for Port but……you know the rest!

Believe it or, Port started quite brightly as Gerwyn Williams turned in the box in the opening minute but his left foot shot was not good enough as it tamely trickled past the post. Then on five minutes, Chirk`s Rhys Edwards was given a half chance which went over the bar. Minutes later, Gerwyn Williams produced a glancing header which went narrowly past the upright. Even-stevens for the first ten minutes!!!!

From then on, the visitors settled and grew more and more into the game and it took a great one- handed save by Harvey to thwart a well-struck 20 yard effort from a Chirk attacker. Tom Mahoney then came up with what proved to be Port`s third (and final!) goal attempt of the entire match as his firm left-footer drifted over the bar from distance after a promising build-up.

Chirk opened the scoring shortly thereafter after a deft touch found Max McLaughlin in space, and, with only Harvey to beat, he confidently side-footed home.

Then, shortly after the half-hour mark, disaster struck as Josh Banks was red-carded for an alleged foul on Dale Davies just outside the box. The decision appeared extremely harsh to put it mildly and Port were already faced with a mountain to climb.

A few minutes later, Dale Davies doubled the visitors` advantage when he rose well at the far post to head home. A Port defender appeared to clear the ball but the linesman signalled that it had crossed the line.

On 38` minutes, the game was well and truly over as a contest when Rhys Edwards did very well to chase a long ball from defence before calmly slotting the ball past Harvey, and 0-3 it remained at the end of the first period.

The second half therefore became a case of damage limitation for the beleaguered hosts and this much they achieved until the 69th minute when an excellent far post header by Matty Williams found its way into the far corner. Then, on 80` minutes, it was Louie Middlehurst`s turn to put the icing on Chirk`s rich cake when his thumping shot proved too hot to handle for Richard Harvey who had played quite admirably. Yes, final score 0-5!

I really pity our loyal supporters. Porthmadog F.C. were recently referred to as ‘North Wales’ football’s sleeping giants’. Well, today we were fast asleep!! However, even now, we still attract crowds that Chirk, Cefn, Penrhyncoch, Gresford, Mold, Guilsfield etc. can only dream about……and this is how we are ‘rewarded’.

Finally, congratulations to Chirk on their deserved victory and good luck for the rest of the season.

Next Saturday, Port will travel to Mold Alex for another league encounter.

Porthmadog :- Richard Harvey (GK), Josh Banks, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price, Cai Parry (Harri Hughes 45`), Meilir Williams (Stuart Rogers 45`), Gerwyn Williams (Jason Banks 55`), Cai Jones, Tom Mahoney (Gruff Ellis 72`), Gareth Jones-Evans (Marcus Banks 27`), Iolo Thomas. Unused subs :- Ifan Emlyn, Craig Papyrnik (GK) Red card :- Josh Banks (32`)

Y Waun / Chirk AAA :- Mark Richards (GK), Jack Edwards, Ryan Williams, Jake Ellison (Adam Williams 70`), Matty Williams, Ashton Williams (Capt.), Rhys Edwards (Lewis Clamp 65`), , Tristan Lloyd (Joshua Phillips 65`), Dale Davies (Louie Middlehurst 73`), Steffan Rogers, Max McLaughlin Yellow card :- Matty Williams (59`)

Dyfarnwr /Referee :- Iolo Edryd Williams Cynorthwywyr/Assistants :-Rheinallt Davies, Tomos Huw Jones
Torf/ Attendance :- 274

Treflyn Jones

11/02/23 Cynghrair JD Cymru North League Bastion Gardens 2.30pm

PRESTATYN TOWN .............. 2
Dean Davies 78'
J Gibney 90'+2'

CPD PORTHMADOG ...............1
Gerwyn Williams 85'

It was heartbreak afternoon for Port at Bastion Gardens, for just when they seemed to have earned a deserved draw, the hosts snatched all 3 points with a 92nd minute winner, sending Port home empty handed. But for the home side it was a relief to pick up their first 3 points of 2023 while for Port, though putting in another strong performance, failed to add another valuable point to go with the one picked up at home to Buckley on Tuesday The tight game was played on an uneven surface, which made passing difficult for both sides.

Port started brightly and within a minute Josh Banks rose to meet a Iolo Thomas free kick but his header was tipped over the bar by Prestatyn's goalkeeper Travis Wilson. Port continued to press and Gareth J Evans' speculative shot went narrowly wide and Iddon Price's header, from a Gareth J. Evans free kick, also went narrowly wide of the post.

But gradually Prestatyn grew into the match and a breakaway move saw Prestatyn's Dan Atkins hitting a dangerous angled shot which Morgan Jones did well to push against the post with the danger eventually cleared away by the Port defence.

As half-time approached there were chances at both ends. On 42 minutes Gerwyn Williams, for Port, almost took advantage of a mix up in the Prestatyn defence but the ball ran over the byline for a goal kick.While two minutes later at the other end, Prestatyn's Kurtis Pearson struck a free kick narrowly wide of the Port goal. Then right on the stroke of half time Port's Gareth J Evans saw his effort fly just over the bar following good work from Iolo Thomas down the right. 0-0 at Half time.

Ten minutes into the second period Port substitute Meilir Williams created an opening for Gerwyn Williams whose shot was cleared but only as far as Iddon Price whose effort went the wrong side of the post. A Gareth Jones Evans' corner then produced a heading opportunity for Josh Banks but Wilson saved well to keep the score at 0-0.

On 61 minutes it was the home team that came close to opening the scoring as Port were nearly punished when forward Liam Van Gelder's header struck the crossbar and cannoned back down to be eventually cleared to safety.

The turning point in the match came on 69 minutes when Port goalkeeper Morgan Jones was shown a red card. He came dashing out of his box and crashed straight into Prestatyn attacker Holden bringing him down just outside the box. The referee then consulted with his assistant before showing Jones the straight red card. This was crisis time for Port who did not have a sub keeper on the bench and defender Iddon Price became the emergency keeper. The free kick resulting from the incident came to nothing, but Prestatyn now grew in confidence and had numerous chances before Dean Davies pounced on an assist by Dan Atkins after a scramble in the Port box. 1-0.

Port responded well despite being a man short and on 85 minutes a Gerwyn Williams shot went past a helpless Wilson after a mix up in the Prestatyn defence, for what seemed a deserved equaliser and a share of the points. But two minutes into added time Dean Davies, scorer of the first goal, turned provider for Jack Gibney to find the net and break Port hearts.

Port did have one final chance on 94 minutes with a Meilir Williams first time effort being well saved by Wilson.

It was a cruel end to a match where Port deserved at least a draw.

Port take on Chirk AAA at Y Traeth next Saturday in a crucial JD Cymru North League fixture k.o.2.30pm. Diolch am eich cefnogaeth, gwerthfawrogir yn fawr iawn.
Thanks for your continued support much appreciated.

Porthmadog: Morgan Jones, Stuart Rogers, Josh Banks, Nathan Williams, Iddon Price, Cai Parry, (Harri Hughes 77') Tom Mahoney, Gareth Jones Evans (Jason banks 77'), Iolo Thomas, Gerwyn Williams (Marcus Banks 87'), Cian Pritchard. Unused Subs: Ben fisher, Kian Hughes, Gethin Williams. Red Card Morgan Jones 69'.

Prestatyn: T Wilson J Rimmer (J Stewart 77'), F Shelbourne (J Stevens 86'), C Whelan A Mossman, T Aylmer (M Imre 77'), L Van Gelden (J Gibney 71'), K Pearson, J Holden (J King 86'), D Davies, D Atkins.

Dyfarnwr / Referee: Karl Berry, John Palmer, Alun Jones.
Torf / Att 110 (est.)

Dylan Rees


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us