CPD Porthmadog FC
Cymru North

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Rhyl (h) | Guilsfield (a) | Colwyn Bay (a) | Conwy Borough (a) | Penybont (a) | Penybont (a) | Bangor (a) |

JD Cymru North-Friday, 10/01/20

LLANGEFNI TOWN................................1
Jordan Murphy 83’

CPD PORTHMADOG..............................1
Josh Davies 39’ (p)

An 83rd minute equaliser scored in bizarre circumstances by Llangefni sub Jordan Murphy gave the Anglesey club a late share of the points. And this was a repeat of events at the Traeth where an 82nd minute equaiiser had levelled things at 2-2. Having held the lead from since Josh Davies’s 39th minute penalty this felt like a defeat for Port with the late efforts to regain the lead eventually coming to nothing. But in terms of the relegation battle we have to take on reflection the half a loaf on offer. It was not a game that will live long in the memory , played in very difficult circumstances a gale force wind billowing the driving rain across the pitch and of no advantage to either side, Add to that a slippery surface and you have the condtions for an error ridden clash.

Port applied the early pressure with an early Gareth Jones Evans effort taking a deflection for a corner. The returning Josh Davies was making his presence felt from the off and was unfortunate not to open the scoring on 9 minutes when a typical shot on the turn thumped against the post. Port continued to enjoy the greater share of the possession, with Llangefni threatening on the break. But despite their pressure Port were not creating many opportunities. The closest they came to scoring was when Gareth Jones Evans curled a shot in from the left that was not too far off target. Both teams were closing down quickly in midfield which stopped the game opening up. Gradually however Llangefni got into the game and twice Paul Pritchard had to pull off good saves to deny the home side. One of these chances came from an Iwan Jones corner and Pritchard was out quickly to save under pressure at his near post. The Port goal came in the 39th minute, when John Owen cut dangerously inside from the left into the box only to be brought tumbling down. Referee Mark Petch pointed to the spot. Josh Davies took full advantage, sending Sinclair the wrong way to celebrate his return to the club with a goal. Port upped the pressure and a good ball from Josh Davies put Rob Evans in on goal but his well struck effort was kept out with a good save from Sinclair at his near post. Port went in at the interval 1-0 up.

The second half started with Port on the attack again and Ilan ap Gareth played in josh Davies at the near post but once again Sinclair pulled off a good save to deny Josh Davies and Port a 2nd goal. Llangefni mad a double sub change but Josh Davies was continuing to make his mark on the game. He burst through on goal but Sinclair denied him with a good block and the second bite at the cherry which followed went wide. Llangefni then won a free kick on the edge of the box but Paul Pritchard comfortably kept out Matthew Jones’s free kick. Josh Davies could not be kept out of the action and a good ball put him through on the left of the box but he delayed pulling the trigger and a good tackle cleared the danger for a corner. Llangefni were still a threat on the break and Paul Pritchard again saved well from Llangefni’s Matthew Jones. A Port defensive slip allowed McMinimee a shot at goal following burst down the right but, to Port’s relief, the shot went well over the bar. Play was held up late on for an injury to Paul Pritchard and in the climax to the game this proved crucial. With 83 minutes gone Port were still looking for a 2nd goal to make the game safe, while Llangefni were hoping for a late equaliser. Suddenly Port found themselves overstretched at the back and the injured Paul Pritchard was forced to rush well out of his goal but, as he was about to collect, he slipped on the wet surface, allowing Jordan Murphy to kick ahead and chase past a defender and he then applied one more touch for the ball to creep over the ine into an empty net. Elation for Murphy and Llangefni, huge disappointmet for Port and Paul Pritchard. Port immediately pushed forward, looking to restore their lead but a Jay Gibbs free kick which was deflected for a corner was the closest they got despite their best efforts.

It was a case of having to be satisfied with a point which pleased Llangefni more than Port as it keeps the gap between the two clubs at 5 points. It will now be a case of waiting on other results tomorrow and going again at home to Llandudno.

Craig Papirnyk commented afterwards, “We let ourselves down 2nd half. We need to manage games betterwhen in the lead and should be killing games off when the chances come our way. Huge appreciation to the travelling supporters again. Diolch! 2pts in two games but both feel like losses.”

While new assistant manager Alun Winstanley added, “Tough one to take, on reflection not ruthless enough, disappointing to come away with a point but positives to take from it but also plenty to work on in the coming weeks on the traing ground.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Gareth Jones Evans, Ilan ap Gareth, Rob Evans (Jay Ginbbs 69’), Josh Davies (Mel MvGinness 74’), John Owen. Unused subs: Ceri James, Rhys Alun.

Llangefni: Steve Sinclair, Gari Owen, Jack Willams (Marvin Pritchard 47’), Alun Roberts, Cai Roberts, Matthew Jones Iwan Jones, Jake Jones (Jordan Murphy 47’), Dave Roberts, Dave Sinclair,Steffan Jones (Callum McInimee 64’). Unused subs: Tyler French, Dan Thomas. Yellow: iwan Jones 41’, Dave Sinclair 43’.

Referee: Mark Petch
Attendance: 371.

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North -Saturday, 04/01/20


CPD PORTHMADOG........................................2
John Owen 71’
Telor Williams 81’

FLINT TOWN UNITED.......................................2
Mark Cadwallader 27’
Alex Titchiner 34’

A rousing second-half performance gave Port a valuable point in the struggle to escape from the relegation places. On the balance of play late on, they could perhaps have picked up all three points. Before hand Port might well have felt sorry for themselves, given that they were facing the club placed 2nd in the table and they hear that new signing Mike Sharples has injured his foot and can’t start being replaced by a rookie defender and there’s no Josh Banks or Iwan Lewis either. Then when the game get’s going they go 2 goals behind in the opening half. It all seems a good recipe for despondency. But the moment the returning Gareth Jones Evans switched to central midfield was the turning point in the match. He sprayed a flow of quality passes from midfield and John Owen took advantage of one of these to open Port’s account. Owen then provided the assist for Telor Williams to score the equaliser, the 18 year-old’s first goal for Port.

Flint enjoyed more of the early possession but Port had two great chances to go ahead, In only the 2nd minute John Owen made an interception 10 yards inside the Flint half and raced on outpacing the visitors’ defence into the box, only to lift his shot narrowly over the bar, Then 10 minutes later a superb crossfield ball from Mel McGinness put Ilan ap Gareth in on goal on the left but out rushed keeper Danby to make a block and as the ball bobbled around in the box there were two more blocks to prevent a goal. At the other end Paul Pritchard needed to pull off a good save to keep out Foulkes ‘s low shot. Another dangerous Port break came after 20 minutes with Gareth Jones Evans putting John Owen away down the right, a great cross followed which was only inches beyond Mel McGinness racing in at the back post.

But despite all this good work Port were at the receiving end of a Mark Cadwallader break. He broke through on the left on the box and and his well placed angled shot found the net inside the far post. Just 7 minutes later and the disappointment for home supporters was palpable. When your luck is down every piece of good fortune goes against you. Alex Titchiner broke to the by-line on the right, then lifted a looping cross which by a stroke of luck ended up in the far corner of the net. Disappointing for Port but for Flint it perhaps looked like job done. That is how it remained to half-time and few could see any way back for Port.

From the start of the second period Flint looked to slow the game down and maintain what they had. Then on 56 minutes Craig Papirnyk made the switch which changed the game. Gareth Jones Evans went into centre midfield, going on to control the game and Telor Williams came on wide left to play an important role in the fight back. Immediately, Gareth Jones Evans put John Owen through on the left of the box and with Mel McGinness racing in, a goal looked certain but he went down to a last ditch tackle. Now with Flint making little impact on the game Port raised their game with the home support sensing that they could get back in the game. It was Gareth Jones Evans again with a long cross for john Owen at the back post and the striker produced a great finish from a narrow angle, lifting his shot over the keeper and into the far corner.

1-2 now and Port had the bit between their teeth and John Owen was showing his full array of skills. Another threat from him was halted with a foul just outside the box. Then with the game entering its final 10 minutes Owen was breaking down the right, showing great control and steadiness, spotting Telor Williams ready and able to make it 2 on 1 and when Telor received the square pass he coolly slotted it past Danby to level the scores. The visitors were under the cosh now and Telor Williams played inside for Mel McGinness whose low shot was scrambled for a corner. From the corner a fine header from the excellent Sol Kempster was only inches wide of being a winner. Given the excellent performance which Kempster put in today as late replacement for Mike Sharples, that would have been no more than he deserved. Some rookie!!

It was an emotional day at the Traeth commencing with a silent tribute to club stalwarts Dafydd Wyn Jones and Alun Roberts. It ended with a storming fight back -both would have heartily approved.

All in all, a good day for Port -despite all the bad early signs-, two young players making the most of their opportunities, a great decision from Paps to bring back Gareth Jones Evans and an even better one to switch him to centre midfield. Are things looking up? We’ll see on Friday at Llangefni.

Craig Papirnyk commented at the end, “It’s been a tough week at the club but that strong 2nd half today has helped to lift the spirits and I’m sure one Daf would’ve been proud of. We could’ve had all 3pts but will take the 1pt and move on, to what is a massive game next week.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Rob Evans, Tomos Emlyn, Sol Kempster, Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Jay Gibbs (Telor Williams 56’), Gareth Jones Evans, Ilan ap Gareth, Mel McGinness, John Owen. Subs: Ceri James, John Littlemore, Rhys Alun. Yellow: Iddon Price 80’, John Owen 82’, Gareth j Evans 85’.

Flint: John Danby, Thomas Kemp, Richard Foulkes, Alex Titchiner, Mark Cadwallader, Dominic McHugh, Callum Bratley, John Davies, Chris chungWal Li, Nathan brown, Jacques Welah, (Tony Davies 84’). Subs: Aaron Jones (gk), Tom Hartley, John Hill Dan Andrews.

Referee: Conor Charlton-Fleming.
Attendance: 283

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North-Friday, 27/12/19

BANGOR CITY................................,1
Emmanuel Agyemang 15’

CPD PORTHMADOG....................... 0

A goal by Emmanuel Agyemang after 15 minutes proved enough to give Bangor City all 3 points in a game which, though it failed to raise the temperature or enthuse the crowd on a damp Nantporth night, was overall a fair result. This was not the result Port were looking for as they continue to battle for the all important points needed to push up the table. But on the night they can have few complaints for although they remained in the game to the end they failed to create enough to threaten Gabriele Brino’s goal.

Port started relatively well, forcing a couple of early Ifan Emlyn corners and, from one of these, Brino was glad to see the cross he pushed on to the bar being cleared for a corner. Very soon however Bangor got into their stride and into their passing game. After 13 minutes, a sighter from the goalscorer Agyemang tested Paul Pritchard and a minute later the keeper was in action again saving a low shot in the crowded box. The pressure on the Port goal continued and when a ball was played in from the right, the tall figure of Emmanuel Agyemang rose at the near post to send a glancing header across the goal into the far corner and Bangor were ahead. There was no relief for the Port defence as Pascarella flashed a shot across the face of goal. Gradually Port got back into the game and another Ifan Emlyn corner was only partially cleared to the edge of the box and an Iwan Lewis cracker was kept out with a good block. Rhys Alun then cut across from the right getting a shot in to test Brino. Bangor on 28 minutes spurned a good opportunity to double their lead when Serafino tricked his way into the box but failed to beat Paul Pritchard from close range. Late in the half Dalia drew nother good save from Paul Pritchard at full stretch. When the half-time whistle came Port were probably the happier of the two teams, with the score at 1-0 they remained in contention for the points.

The second half started with Jay Gibbs coming on for the injured Ilan ap Gareth. The pattern of the half was quickly set with the home side packing the midfield area and controlling the possession. With Port being denied possession, they were having to rely on long ball tactics in an effort to get in behind the home defence. This is not the usual Port tactic and the result overall was a stalemate with neither keeper being tested. Port created few if any real opportunities and the game looked set to remain at 1-0 to the end. For Bangor there were some opportunities and from an early second half corner Vieria rose well but headed over the bar. They developed a few good situations in and around he box but failed to take advantage and get a second goal. In the end the game petered out to a disappointingly tame finish.

Three points to Bangor and they will not concern themselves with the narrowness of the final victory. Port, on the other hand will need to pick themselves up and prepare for another stern test when Flint visit the Traeth.

The game ended with further problems mounting for Port as iwan Lewis was shown red at the end of 90 minutes for remarks made to the referee. During the match also Ilan ap Gareth and Rhys Alun were left lying injured with the referee waving play on. Both subsequently had to leave the pitch and be substituted.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gethin Thomas, Ceri James, Dan Roberts, Josh Banks, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Mel McGinness (John Littlemore 81’) John Owen, Ilan ap Gareth (Jay Gibbs 46’), Rhys Alun (Telor Williams 55’). Subs: Sion Parry.

Bangor: Gabriele Brino,Eugenio Dalia. David Thompson . Pavel Vieira. Francesco Serafino , Massimo Sammartino . Massimo De Maria. Lucas Surber. Simone Rea. Nicolas Delvecchio. Emmanuel Agyemang. Salvatore Pascarella, Subs: Azizou Zoumbare.Massimo Sammartino. James Lee Thomas. Jack Atkinson.

Referee: Iwan Arwel Griffith

Gareth Williams
JD Welsh Cup Round 3-Saturday, 14/12/19

PENYBONT FC................................ ......6
Daniel Griffiths 7’
Luke Borrelli 13’
Nathan Wood 64’
Kostya Georgievsky73’
Curtis Hutson 87’
James Saddler 90’

CPD PORTHMADOG........................---1
Rhys Alun 48’.

It was not the happiest of journeys for Port making the return visit to Bridgend for the 3rd Round tie. The win earns Penybont FC the right to entertain Cardiff Met in Round 4 of the JD Welsh Cup. Port made a slow start and were two down before they had settled but, they fought back in the early stages of the second period, only for the home team to go on to score 3 times in the last 17 minutes and give us a scoreline which was not an entirely fair reflection of the game.

The home team had Brad Borge in goal in place of Rhys Wilson whose injury last weekend had caused such a stir. Port were without John Owen and Tomos Emlyn, so Telor Williams and Mel McGinness came into the team as replacements. Tomos Hughes was also included on the bench. Port were also missing manager Craig Papirnyk. Fortunately for Port, former long serving keeper Richard Harvey stepped in to take charge of the team in the absence of both Craig and Ceri James. The club is indebted to Richard for stepping in to help the club he has served so well over a long period.

The Cymru Premier club started the tie on fire and by the time 15 minutes had elapsed they were 2 goals up. Daniel Griffiths put them ahead in only the 7th minute when he met a good ball in from the left and headed past Paul Pritchard. Port continued to struggle against the early onslaught and in the 13th minute Luke Borrelli netted from close range. The home side could have made it three by 17 minutes but the shot went the wrong side of the post. The pressure on the Port goal continued and Penybont found the net again after 23 minutes only to have the goal disallowed.

Gradually Port managed to make some impact on the game with a good opportunity created for Mel McGinness but keeper Brad Borge pulled off a good save. It was still a struggle for Port but they did put a good move together on 36 mins and Rhys Alun, whose goals had kept Port in the game last weekend, went close with an effort which went narrowly over the bar. But with half-time approaching, it was the home team that were threatening again. This time they failed to take advantage, with the final shot going wide of the post. Half-time arrived with the score remaining at 2-0 to Penybont, something of a relief to Port, given the way the opening half had gone.

If it was the home team who had started the game on fire it was the turn of the visitors to lift their game at the start of the second period. Three minutes into the half and they had found the net and it was last week’s man of the match Rhys Alun who struck again, receiving from Iwan Lewis he burst into the box and coolly slotted past Brad Borge in the home goal. Port were back in the game. But the revival was soon checked, with the home team again threatening around the hour mark, coming close on 61 minutes and then 3 minutes later they scored a crucial 3rd goal and Nathan Wood was the scorer.

Port were not prepared to go under easily and Ilan Gareth came close, with his curling effort rattling the crossbar. When Rhys Alun went down in the box it looked a good shout for a penalty. Ilan ap Gareth was soon in the action again going close on 71 minutes, But disappointment then followed for Port when Iddon Price was shown yellow for a foul, and from the free kick Port were further punished with a 73rd minute header making it 4-1. Though the game was over now, Port to their credit continued to battle on and twice Rhys Alun came close and Brad Borge needed to pull off a good save to keep out a 20 yard effort from sub Sion Parry. But it was not to be Port’s day and Curtis Hurtson rubbed the salt in with a 5th goal on 87 minutes and disappointingly a 6th followed in the final minute.

As Port return to the task of trying to climb the Cymru North table, they can take one huge bonus from these two games. Rhys Alun, after making a start in both ties, has well and truly taken his opportunity. In addition to his all action performances, he has done enough to suggest that he could well be the player to provide some of the much needed goal power in the challenges that lie ahead. He can also take some comfort from the fact that today’s goal will make it to the stats!

Thanks to Penybont for their welcome once again and best of luck to them in the next round.

Dave Collins of the Welsh Football Magazine tweeted “Thought today’s match was more entertaining than 6-1 score suggests. Porthmadog had a good spell at the start of the 2nd half, pulled a goal back and at 2-1 were still in it. Penybont impressed in the last 30 and those goals should help confidence.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Rob Evans, Dan Roberts, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Ilan ap Gareth, Mel McGinness (Sion Parry ), Rhys Alun, Telor Williams. Subs: Ceri James, Gethin Thomas, Tomos Hughes. Yellow: Iddon Price

Penybont: Brad Borge, Kane Owen, James Saddler, Kostya Georgievsky, Nathan Wood Luke Borrell, Billy Borge, Matthew Harris, Daniel Jeffries, Daniel Griffiths, , Michael George, Sub Curtis Jemmett-Hutson, Cullen Kinsella, Ioan Emmanuel, Rhys Griffiths.

Report compiled from notes by Dylan Rees. Diolch Dylan
JD Welsh Cup Round 3-Saturday, 07/12/19

PENYBONT FC................................ ......2
Nathan Wood 14’
Daniel Griffiths 72’

CPD PORTHMADOG........................---- 2
Rhys Alun 44’, 90’+3’

MATCH ABANDONED (Early in the 1st half of extra-time

The match came to a premature end following an accidental coming together between home keeper Rhys Watson and Port forward Rhys Alun, which left the keeper motionless on the ground, with, what the physios attending considered a possible spinal injury. It was thought unwise to move the player and an ambulance was called immediately. Players were then taken off the field while awaiting the arrival of the ambulance. The ambulance service were unable to respond and gave a waiting time of 3 hours. Rhys Wilson was left lying on the 3G pitch in damp cold conditions. Attempts by Penybont to call a private ambulance also drew a blank. After 30 minutes referee Ben Williams had to call the game off.

The Penybont FC Twitter account reports. “Finally ambulance turned up at 7:30pm.” -a very sad state of affairs. The Porthmadog club wishes Rhys Wilson well and hope that the inury turns out to be less severe than was feared during the immediate aftermath.

As to the game itself, it was a great end to end cup-tie which swung one way then another and in the final minute of added time Rhys Alun levelled the scores to send the game into extra-time. And what a goal it was crowning a great performance by the player. His fantastic shot on the turn was partially saved by keeper Rhys Watson but could not prevented from finding its way into the net.

Rhys Alun also scored Port’s first goal and this was also a top quality effort. A super Tomos Emlyn cross was steered past the home keeper by Rhys Alun, racing in at the back post. That goal levelled the scores at half-time. It is very unfortunate that a performance full of movement and ball winning as well as scoring two goals has no place now in official statistics. But he can take heart from the impact he is now making at first team level.

Penybont also came up with two great goals. In the early stages Port had carved out some good chances yet on14 minutes they found themselves a goal down. The ball was given away in midfield and Nathan Wood capitalised big time,with a super strike from 25 yards which caught everyone by surprise as it thumped the back of the net. For their 2nd goal Daniel Griffiths met a corner from set-piece star Kane Owen, glancing a header across Paul Pritchard into the corner of the net. For the last few minutes of normal time Penybont were down to 10-men after sub Keenan Patten received a 2nd yellow card.

It is regrettable that the game could not be played to an end and this creates further problems and re-arrangements and costs for both sides. None of this of course is as concerning as the injury to Rhys Wilson and the lack of adequate and prompt medical attention.

The Porthmadog club wishes to express its appreciation and gratitude for the very warm welcome given by the Penybont club and its officials and the provision of food both at half-time and during the delay at the end.

The spirit between the clubs is summed up by Penybont’s Twitter comment “We would like to thank the CPD Porthmadog physio (Gwern Dafydd) for all help today with our keeper”

Craig Papirnyk commented at the end, “You never want to see anyone hurt during a football match and we hope the Penybont goal keeper is OK and makes a full recovery.
“Proud of the performance today, the ads played well. Massive thanks to the travelling supporters.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn (Telor Williams 90’), Dan Roberts, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Rob Evans (Sion Parry 86’), Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Ilan ap Gareth (Gethin Thomas 80’), John Owen, Rhys Alun,

Penybont: Rhys Wilson, Kane Owen, James Saddler, Cullen Kinsella (Curtis Jemmett-Hutson), Kostya Georgievsky, Nathan Wood (Luke Borrell 55’), Billy Borge (Matthew Harris), Daniel Jeffries, Daniel Griffiths, Owain Warlow, Michael George, Sub Keenan Patten Red 84’.

Referee: Ben Willimas

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North-Saturday, 30/11/19

CONWY BOROUGH................................ 2
Corrig McGonigle 43’(p),
Liam Morris 77’

CPD PORTHMADOG................................2
John Owen 68’
Rhys Alun 81’

Twice the 10-men of Port had to fight back to earn themselves a well deserved share of the points at the Morfa this afternoon. It was a game blighted by controversy and awash with contentious decisions. The main controversy came shortly before the interval, when defensive mainstay Iddon Price received his marching orders from referee Nathan Bartram, acting on the advice of his assistant. It was a decsion which left players and fans alike totally dumbfounded and during half-time it l was the sole talking point. That decision also gave the Borough a penalty which Corrig McGonigle converted for an interval lead. The decision also served to inspire a Port fight back and, despite being reduced in numbers, they took the game to their opponents throughout the second period.

Port started on the front foot looking to continue the good form of a week ago.In only the 2nd minute Rob Evans broke dangerously down the right and home keeper Ben Heald needed at act quickly to cut out a dangerous low cross. The Borough were looking to hit on the break and it needed a well judged intervention from Josh Banks to halt Cory Williams but the early threats were coming from Port with Iwan Lewis going close with a thumping shot from 18 yards. Following this, Josh Banks met Ifan Emlyn’s corner only to see his header fly over the bar and, in a break down the left, Ilan ap Gareth had his powerful shot blocked. Ben Heald was then in action again saving well at his near post to deny Rob Evans. When Mel McGinness and Iwan Lewis were both yellow carded in a low key incident it was a clear sign of what was to transpire. The game which had started brightly enough now deteriorated with plenty of high aimless balls being played as both sides battled to cope with a difficult surface. Then, as the game was drifting to a goalless first-half scoreline, that incident occurred breaking the deadlock and sending the Tangerines in a goal up at the interval.

As the second period started it became clear that going a goal down and being reduced to 10 men was not going to break Port spirits, They readjusted, with Rob Evans switching to full back and Josh Banks, who was putting in another top class performance, moved to central defence. The 10-men pushed forward from the start of the second half and there was an early audacious attempt to lob the keeper by John Owen but the ball past the wrong side of the post. Meanwhile as Port pushed forward Conwy looked to hit on the break and Paul Pritchard had to pull off a good save to keep out dangerous McGonigle. But the Conwy goal came under increasing pressure and two forwards sliding in were only inches away from netting Rob Evans’ low cross. On 67 minutes the deserved equaliser arrived when keeper Heald came under pressure. The ball fell loose for John Owen to coolly direct the ball into an unguarded net. A break from Iwan Lewis and the travelling support were urging their team on to look for the winner. Conwy were a threat on the break and had a goal disallowed for offside. Then Port hopes took a serious dent when the ball was given away in midfield and they were punished by pacy sub Liam Morris. He broke left and his low angled shot beat Paul Pritchard. Port heads go down? Not a bit of it! Almost immediately John Owen raced behind the home defence and unleashed a powerful shot which Heald kept out at his near post. Pressure continued and Josh Banks drove goalwards. A melee in the goalmouth ensued the ball was not cleared and there was sub Rhys Alun in the right place at the right time to belt the ball over the line and secure a point on what had een a really difficult afternoon.

At the latest count a grand total of 8 yellow cards and one red were shown during the afternoon. It must be added that the game was competitive but not in any way an over physical encounter.

A point for Port which might have been three but bearing all of the circumstances it must go down as a point gained and one which keeps the club in touch with those immediately above.

Final word to Craig Papirnyk, “Another good result for us on the road yesterday, important points picked up on two tough away grounds in a week. Supporters were excellent again yesterday and can’t thank them enough for getting behind the lads, Welsh Cup week now to plan for.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Ifan, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Mel McGinness (Rhys Alun 76’), John Owen, Ilan ap Gareth, Rob Evans.. Subs: John Littlemore, Telor Williams. Sion Parry Gethin Thomas
Red: Iddon Price 43’ Yellow: Rob Evans 20’, Mel McGinness 27’ Iwan Lewis 27’, Ifan Emlyn 70’, Tomos Emlyn 90’, ?????90’.

Conwy: Ben Heald, Dafydd Jones, Adam Pritchard (Sion Hogan 70’), Tomos Clarke, Rob Jones, Sean Macaffrey, Craig Whelan (Leigh Craven 83’), Cory Williams (Liam Morris 70’), Corrig McGonigle, Ifan Galeotti, Iolo Hughes. Yellow: Sean Macaffrey 33’, Adam Pritchard 58; Referee: Nathan Bartram.

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North-Saturday, 23/11/19

COLWYN BAY................................ 1
Mitchell Bryant 27’

CPD PORTHMADOG.......................2
Iddon Price 37’
Ilan ap Gareth 54’ (p)

It has been a hard few days at the Traeth and not the kind of situation a friendly close-knit club likes to find itself. The response by Craig Papirnyk and the squad was breathtaking, for had they caved in to a team on a run of 7 straight wins, it might not have been a huge surprise. It was a case of when the going gets tough the tough get going and it was not just a spirited reaction to a difficult situation. This was a performance of quality to be savoured and enjoyed. In fact it was an exciting game with both sides going for the victory without a parked bus in sight. Port had to come from behind to clinch the win with Ilan ap Gareth’s spot kick turning out to be the decider. The tension lasted to the very end with a determined defence successfully keeping the Bay at bay.

Port opened strongly and might well have gone ahead in the first minute. A good sweeping move starting deep in their own half down the left, across to John Owen, the shot from 18 yards was kept out by keeper Andy Coughlin stretching low to the foot of the post and produced an excellent save.Port continued to control the play with the Bay forced back into their own half. On 20 minutes Coughlin pulled off another good save to deny Mel McGinness driving forward from midfield. In just a few minutes it was McGinness again when Port hit on the break and this time he got behind the defence, one on one with the keeper but again Coughlin saved his team getting a hand to the shot and pushing it for a corner.

In fact 21 minutes had past before Paul Pritchard joined the action with a comfortable save. Gradually however the Bay began to get a foothold in the game and the travelling support were wondering if it was to be another case of neat approach play and no goals. Suddenly their worst fears were realised as Colwyn Bay broke quickly down the left and and the pace of the counter attack left the Port defence stranded. Mitchell Bryant raced on to the low cross and finished clinically from close range. It seemed a case of here we go again, a worry that increased when Downes rattled the Port crossbar. But to their credit Port stood up to the test and within 10 minutes they were back on level terms. Ifan Emlyn’s free kick was struck towards Coughlin’s near post and Iddon Price nipped in to net from close range. The scores remained level at the interval.

Both sides came out in the second period looking for a winner. Port again pushed forward threateningly and within 10 second half minutes they had got their noses in front. The goal came following good interplay down the left which allowed Ilan ap Gareth to burst threateningly into the box where he was brought down by Alex Downes. Referee Alex Livesey pointed to the spot immediately. Ilan ap Gareth stepped up for a real pressure kick and, with the keeper going the wrong way, he crowned an excellent individual performance with the winning goal. The travelling support went nuts.

In reality despite going ahead there was a huge amount to do before the 3 points could be claimed. When Mel McGinness was brought down on the edge of the box Iwan Lewis lifted his free kick over the bar. At the other end Paul Pritchard was down well to save an angled shot from wide right from Alex Downes. Downes was now a threat with several dangerous crosses. Iddon Price was forced to concede a corner under heavy pressure as the home team made a final push. Paul Pritchard was in the action with a double fisted punch to clear Sion Edwards’ dangerous free kick. With time running out Downes’ low cross created an opportunity for Chaplin but to the relief of the travelling support his shot flew wide.

After more than 4 minutes of added time the final whistle signalled that celebrations could begin on the pitch, in the dugout and in the stands. Three valuable points! Phew!! A real team performance for all 13 players used, with subs Gethin Thomas and Sion Parry making an important contribution. Gethin coming on to replace the injured Dan Roberts in the first half and Sion making several relieving runs to take the pressure off in the final stages.

Mel McGinness commented, “That one was for the club and supporters who have been across north Wales with us, we owed them.”

Final word to Craig Papirnyk, “Fantastic to get the win today, especially for the Port faithful who haven’t experienced much joy lately but still get behind the club week in week out. It’s not been the best week but I’m glad we gave you some happiness today with a very good performance from the lads.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Ifan, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts (Gethin Thomas25’), Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Mel McGinness (Sion Parry 83’), John Owen, Ilan ap Gareth, Rob Evans.. Subs: John Littlemore, Rhys alun, Telor Williams. Yellow: John Owen 17’, Sion Parry 89’, Ilan ap Gareth 90’.

Colwyn Bay: Andy Coughlin, Alex Downes, Jordan Carrington (Kian Owen 83’), Darren Thornton, Will Bell, Matthew Russell (Mike Williams 65’), Julian Williams, Toby Jones, Mitchell Bryant, Damien Ketley (Joe Chaplin 46’), Sion Edwards. Sub: Patrick Rutter. Yellow: William Bell 71’.

Referee: AlexLivesey

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North-Wednesday, 20/11/19

GUILSFIELD FC ................................ 2
Adam Davies 11’, 90’ (+3’)

CPD PORTHMADOG.........................0

Unfortunately we have no match report for this game. Below are some details.

Port slipped to their 10th defat of the season and there was a familiar ring to the proceedings. In a repeat of last Saturday’s game with Rhyl, Port conceded an early goal. Adam Davies put the home side in front after just 11 minutes. Port kept the score at 1-0 until deep into injury time but once again they found goals hard to come by. Eventually it was the Guils who added to their early goal deep into injury time when Adam Davies netted his 2nd of the evening.

Craig Papirnyk commented after the game: “Can’t show enough gratitude to the supporters who travelled mid-week to Guilsfield last night to get behind the lads, results aren’t good enough right now and you deserve better. A a group we know it. We’ve got to stick together and turn things around.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts (Gethin Thomas 71’), Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Ilan ap Gareth, John Littlemore (Sion Parry 56’), Mel McGinness, Rob Evans (Telor Williams 85’). Subs: Ceri James, Rhys Alun.

Guilsfield Michael Jones, Callum Bromley, James Parry,Andy Ford, Sam Litchfield, Rob James, Jake Cook, Jolyon Harries, Adam Davies, Adam Jenkins, Chris Cathrall. Subs: Aaron Lloyd,George Clifton, Stuart Rogers. Lee Andrew.

Referee: James Walker
JD Cymru North Saturday, 16/11/19


CPD PORTHMADOG........................ 0

RHYL FC........................................... 1
Sam Molyneux 2’

Port were on the receiving end of a sensational start to this game. Almost before the regulars in the Main Stand had settled in their seats, a Sam Molyneux stunner had put the visitors ahead. He struck with power from all of 35 yards, across the goal to strike the far post and then back across a despairing Paul Pritchard and into the net on the opposite side of the goal. Despite playing for a further 88 minutes that proved to be the only goal of the game but was enough to give Rhyl all 3 points. In an even contest with few clear chances, Port will consider themselves unlucky not to take a share of the points.

Following that shattering start, To their credit Port stuck to ther task and pushed forward looking to level the scores. With just 2 more minutes on the clock they came close to that equaliser when Jay Gibbs found space in the box to meet Rob Evans’s excellent cross, but the header went well wide. Play then became end to end with Port having plenty of possession but the visitors were also a threat especially from set pieces, winning a series of threatening James Murphy corners which Port had to work hard to clear. The dangerous Piskorski also had a shot deflected for a corner.

Midway through the half Port enjoyed a good spell with Josh Banks overlapping dangerously down the left and one of these produced a half chance for Jay Gibbs but his near post snapshot went narrowly wide. McGinness was then brought down on the edge of the box and Rhyl keeper Crowther pulled off a good save to keep out Gibbs’s well struck free kick. At the other end it took a top class save from Paul Pritchard when Cai Owen met a long cross to the back post. For Port Rob Evans had his shot deflected for a corner but In the main however, clear chances were thin on the ground and half-time was reached with Rhyl holding on to their early lead.

In the early stages of the the second-period Por tagain had plenty of possession and one move where they kept possession for seemingly an age ended with a comfortable Crowther save from Ilan ap Gareth. But that was a rare piece of action for the Rhyl keeper. Despite having plenty of possession and, with much of the play in the Rhyl half, they failed to create clear opportunities. A resolute, well organised Rhyl defence denied them the space as they battled to get on level terms. Rhyl relied on hitting on the break and from one of these Paul Pritchard pulled off another good save to deny Burrows. Port looking to change the game, brought on subs Sion Parry and John Livermore and Sion Parry set up a rare opportunity for Josh Banks whose powerful shot was deflected over the bar. In fact, it was Rhyl who had the best opportunity where they could have settled the game when on75 minutes Piskorski nipped in to intercept a misplaced pass but again Paul Pritchard pulled off another good save to keep the score at 0-1. Port’s frustrating afternoon suddenly became a lot worse when Jay Gibbs was shown a straight red card by referee Kevin Parry for a foul on Tom Creamer nesr the corner flag. Despite going down to 10-men, Port continued to battle away but today there was no way through.

Though it was not possible to fault Port’s ball retention in a close contest, the problem of how to turn this possession into goal chances still eludes them. It did not help either to be without leading scorer John Owen. Looking ahead they are due to travel to Guilsfield on Wednesday and they will now have to resume the battle to pick up points without their playmker Jay Gibbs.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn., Ceri James, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs, Rob Evans, (Dan Roberts 83’), Ilan ap Gareth (Sion Parry 69’’), Mel McGinness (John Littlemore 71’). Unused subs:. Rhys Alun, Telor Williams.

Rhyl: Rory Crowther, Ben Nash, Cai Owen, Max Peate, Ben Burrows, Tommy Creamer, Gethin Maxwell, Ross Stephens, Sam Molyneux (Aaron Hassall 61’), Arek Piskorski, James Murphy (Ben Lockley 81), Subs:Keighan Jones, Dave McIntyre, Callum Roberts

Attendance: 236

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us