CPD Porthmadog FC
Cymru North

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Llangefni (h) | Llandudno (a) | Prestatyn (h) | Llanrhaeadr (a) | Ruthin (h) | Llanfair (a) | Penrhyncoch (h) | Llanberis (h) | Corwen (h) | Gresford (h) |

JD Welsh Cup Round 2 Saturday, 09/11/19

Match Sponsor: The Port Eight Supporters Group

CPD PORTHMADOG................................4
Ifan Emlyn 9’
Ilan ap Gareth 48;
John Owen 73'
Sion Parry 90'+ 3'

GRESFORD ATHLETIC............................... 1
Jack Chaloner 37’
A great second half performance secured Port their place in the hat for the 3rd Round draw. At half-time it looked to be a case of the same old story, where Port dominated territory and possession yet still found themselves on level terms, A goal from Ilan ap Gareth, just 3 minutes into the second period, proved to be the turning point and, against the wintry backdrop on the hills above, suddenly Port had the spring in their step as they pushed forward to create and take their chances for an emphatic win..

An early effort from Ilan ap Gareth, drew a good Hill-Dunt save but the ensuing corner provided Port with a bizarre opening goal. Ifan Emlyn’s corner seemingly made everyone in the area freeze momentarily, allowing the ball to find its way through the crowded box into the far corner of the net. Port then went on to enjoy the greater share of the possession but, as has happened regularly this season, they failed to convert their chances. Shortly after the goal Iwan Lewis broke forward and forced Hill-Dunt into another good save. John Owen then burst behind the defence but his shot was deflected for a corner. Port were then developing some well worked moves with some great splitting passes from midfield. From one of these Tomos Emlyn broke on the right but when his pull back into the box reached Jay Gibbs the shot was again wayward.

For all their pressure, there were sufficient signs that Port could find themselves punished for their failure to consolidate on their early lead. Gresford were not without their threats with Kieron Evans and jack Cahloner findning space in the box but firing off target, Then with little real danger apparent referee Robin Williams surprised the home support when he pointed to the spot for a foul by Ceri James. This could have been a huge boost for the visitors as Jake Eyre stepped up to take the penalty but Paul Pritchard was down well to his right to pull off an excellent save. But the save only offered a short period of relief as 3 minutes on and the visitors were back on level terms. Initially Paul Pritchard pulled off a save but Jack Chaloner was on to the rebound to chip over a despairing keeper to level the xcores. The half ended with Port back on the attack with Iwan Lewis making another great run to get behind the defence only to see his shot go across the goal and wide. The half ended with another good save from Hill-Dunt to deny Ilan ap Gareth following a good build up.

Port got off to a great start ater the interval with a goal from Ilan ap Gareth. Hill-Dunt parried away an angled shot from John Owen and ap Gareth netted from 10 yards. Gresford responded with an effort from Buxton which was deflected for a corner. But it was Port again back on the attack with John Owen trying a surprise effort from 25 yards which dropped inches over the bar, while Tonos Emlyn pulled a shot narrowly wide . Rob Evans then played in John Owen but it was another good save from Hill-Dunt. Just past the hour mark there was some good pressure from the visitors with Culshaw’s corner being cleared with difficulty a reminder that the game was not won at 2-1.Then on 73 minutes a burst from midfield by Jay Gibbs created the breathing space needed.His perfectly weighted pass allowed John Owen to turn and place his shot neatly inside Hill-Dunt’s near post 3-1 seemed better, Port were now in control though there were sporadic attacks from Gresford and following a free kick Josh Griffiths fired wide. Finally, sub Sion Parry put the icing on the cake. The opportunist striker netted the 4th. With his initial effort blcoked he respomded from a narrow angle into the far corner of the net. The added time goal crowned a good all round team performance.

We can now look forward to the 3rd round draw but above all let’s hope that re-discovering the missing link in their game -GOALS- during an impressive 2nd half will carry over to the league and we can start picking up some much needed points.

Manger Sion Eifion commented, “Much needed win! Into the hat! Big thank you to the Portfaithful who sponsored today’s game.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn., Ceri James, Iddon Price, Josh Banks (Rhys Alun 83’), Ifan Emlyn (Telor Williams 79’) Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs, Rob Evans, (46’), John Owen (Sion Parry 86’), Ilan ap Gareth . Unused subs: John Livermore Mel McGinness.

Gresford: J Hill-Dunt Joe Culshaw, Ryan Williams (Joe Davies 64’), Adam Hesp, , Jack Chaloner, Alex Buxton, Joshua Griffiths, Kieran Evans, Nathan Williams (Harvey Steel 69’), Jack Jones, Jake Eyre. Subs unused: Ben Jones, Ashton Williams,

Referee: Robin Williams

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North -Saturday, 02/11/19

Match Sposors: HAYDN E WILLIAMS Chartered Building Surveyor

CPD PORTHMADOG................................1
John Owen 26’

CORWEN FC............................................2
Dale Davies 2’, 60’

Dale Davies made a highly profitable return to the Traeth this afternoon, netting twice to give the visitors Corwen, all three points. This important bottom three scrap was their second successive away win. Port, despite all their possession and territorial advantage, found a determined and well organised defence difficult to unlock and behind them keeper Nathan Roberts made some inspired saves. On the occasions Port did find a way through, their finishing was not clinical enough.

For Port it was the worst possible start with old boy Dale Davies putting Corwen ahead with a close range finish. What made it even worse for the home side was that Dale Davies was given the freedom of the box to convert the simplest of finishes. The goal gave Corwen far more than they could even wish for. It suited their plan to a tee, something to hold on to while their stubborn defence got into gear denying Port time and space in and around the box.

The goal did sting Port into action and they came on strongly with Iwan Lewis making strong runs through the middle and Rob Evans and John Owen providing a threat in the wide positions. A good build up created an opening for Ilan ap Gareth whose shot was pushed away by keeper Roberts. Minutes later, with the pressure building, the keeper was in action again with a superb reflex save to deny Mel McGinness a goal when he tipped a point blank header inches over the bar. McGuiness then supplied John Owen but the keeper was in position to save again turning it for a corner. Corwen were relying on hitting on the break and though Port were dominant at this stage, Joe Williams broke behind the defence but fired wide. Then on 26 minutes Port deservedly levelled the scores. Joe Owen struck from 18 yards and a deflection sent it past the stranded keeper into the net. Corwen responded to the goal with a good spell of their own. Former Port favourite Eilir Edwards broke forward but his low shot was wide and following this there was a good effort from Scott Evans which was only narrowly off target But the half ended with Port back on the attack with a shot from John Owen and a free kick from Jay Gibbs which were only narrowly off target and again John Owen had a shot cleared off the line. In the closing stages of the half John Owen won the ball on the byline but his shot was saved at the near post. Half-time and everything to play for at 1-1.

For the second half Ifan Emlyn came on for Ilan ap Gareth to make a first and welcome appearance of the season following injury. Port continued to dominate possession and a quick break on 53 minutes should have produced a goal. Mel McGinness broke forward and his supply put in John Owen at the back post but keeper Roberts again denied him. Another dangerous cross followed which was pushed on to the bar before being cleared. Roberts then saved again from Mel McGinness and Port’s frustration was becoming obvious. Things then took a huge turn for the worse when Corwen made a rare push upfield. A high cross from the left put the stretched Port defence under pressure and Paul Pritchard pushed a header on to the bar and there was Dale Davies on hand to head the visitors back into the lead from the rebound. For all their possession Port had failed to find a way through, yet Corwen make their only serious attack of the half and score an all important goal. The longer the game went on the less likely it appeared that the goal would come. Rhys Alun came on as sub and made his presence felt with some good breaks and from one of these he played a fine low ball across into the danger area but no finishing touch could be applied. So, at the final whistle it remained 2-1 to the visitors and their delight at snatching the all important points was clear for all to see.

A very disappointing afternoon for Port, coming into this game on a much improved run of form, but found breaking down a tight defence a real problem. There was some excellent build up play but once the box was reached things tended to break down with many of their efforts on goal being hit frustratedly from well outside the box. Back to the training ground, prepare again and it’s up for the Cup next weekend.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn, Ceri James, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs (Rhys Alun 78’), Mel McGinness, John Owen, Rob Evans (John Littlemore 82’),Ilan ap Gareth (Ifan Emlyn 46’) Rhys Alun’’. Unused subs: Dan Roberts, Telor Williams.

Corwen: Hathan Roberts, Adam Williams,Eilir Edwards, Harrt Pooler, Mathew Williams, Ryan Billington, Iorwerh Jones, Scott Evans, Joe Williams (71’), Dale Davies Owen Cordiner (Tomos Williams58’) Subs: Thomas Mann,Elystan Hughes, Nick Jones.

Referee:.John Andrew Jones.
Attendance: 221

Gareth Williams
JD Welsh Cup-Tuesday, 29/10/19

Match Sponsor: Michael Stringer. Minffordd.

CPD PORTHMADOG................................7
Mel McGinness 28’,43’
John Owen 54’, 77’
Rhys Alun 69’
Sion Parry 80’
Iwan Lewis 90’

CPD LLANBERIS.......................................0

A cold dry evening, finally allowed this deluge effected Cup-tie to be played under the Traeth lights. Twice postponed and losing home advantage was probably crucial to any ambitions CPD Llanberis had of causing an upset. As it turned out Port, despite enjoying a large amount of first half possession, found it difficult to create clear chances against determined defending. But goals from Mel McGinness, the second close to the interval, gave them a vital half-time advantage. The second half proved a different story with a more relaxed Porthmadog adding five more goals, several the result of well worked moves.

The game started slowly with Port looking to open up a Llanberis team set-up to defend in numbers and looking to hit on the break. The first real threat came when visitors’ keeper Will Williams cleared under pressure from John Livermore and a shot from Rob Evans went close. Port did get the ball into the net after 18 minutes only to have it flagged down for offside. Llanberis forced a couple of early corners and a Dylan Parry free kick forced Paul Pritchard into action. On 28 minutes Port went ahead, and it was a counter attack following a Llanberis corner which provided the opportunity. Mel McGinness and Rhys Alun combined well in midfield and McGinness raced on to a quality through ball and fired past the advancing keeper. The only other threat came when a Jay Gibbs lob went narrowly over the bar. Then with half -time only minutes away, Mel McGinnes was on hand to strike again. A good Port move down the left with John Owen firing a cracker from a narrow angle. Initially keeper Williams pulled off a great save to divert the shot on to the upright but McGinness was on hand to fire the rebound home from close range. 2-0 at the interval.

Port were on the attack from the start of the second period, Sion Parry, on for Mel McGinness, was close after a break down the right and the keeper also pushed away a John Littlmore effort away to safety.Then 10 minutes into the half John Owen struck in typical fashion. A seemingly casual break from just inside the Llanberis half carrying past defenders and into the box and, though his intitial shot was kept out, he tapped the rebound into the net. On the hour mark John Owen put John Livermore through on goal but the winger pulled his shot across goal and wide. The pressure continued and keeper Williams pulled off a good save to keep out an angled effort from Rhys Alun while Rob Evans was narrowly wide with his shot from 18 yards. At this stage Llanberis created a clear opportunity coming from a good exchange between Ifan Mansoor and Owain Jones with Mansoor firing high over the bar when well placed. Immediately after this, Port struck again with a good break down the left. A low ball was played into the box and a couple of touches later Rhys Alun netted from close range. A few minutes later and it was 5-0 with Iwan Lewis and John Owen combining down the left for Owen to find space in the box and drill a low shot just inside the near post. The 6th followed with Rhys Alun providing the assist for Sion Parry to net at the near post. But even though the result was settled, Llanberis produced a fine move with Owain Jones breaking dangerously behind the Port defence and, with just 3 minutes remaining, Paul Pritchard had to spring into action to pull off a full length diving save. The last word however went to Iwan Lewis with a break on the left and a great finish curling his shot into the top corner of the net for a fitting finale..

Port were safely through to the 2nd Round setting up a home tie with fellow Cymru North club Gresford Athletic on the 9th November. It also brings a brighter October to a close with three wins and a draw. On now to a key home fixture with Corwen next Saturday.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Rob Evans, Dan Roberts, Iddon Price, Josh Banks (Gethin Thomas 74), Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs, Mel McGinness, (Sion Parry 46’), John Owen, John Livermore (Ilan ap Gareth 60’) Rhys Alun’’. Unused subs: Telor Williams.

Llanberis:. Will Williams, Dylan Parry, Tomos Owen, Nidian Huws (Ben Jones 77’), Steven Price, Gethin Wakeham, Aeron Pritchard (Huw Gwynn 54’), Ben Rowlands, Ifan Monsoor, Tomos Saynor (Gareth Edwards 73’), Owain Jones. Unused subs: Ryan OwenSion Roberts.

Referee: William Andrew Peel.

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North -Tuesday, 15/10/19


CPD PORTHMADOG................................0


This was not a night out at the Traeth that will live long in the memory. It was a game which was destined for a nil/nil result from early on. Defences were on top and both midfields cancelled each other out. Both sides closed down quickly and there was neither time or space to open the game out and introduce some creativity. The game as a result was scrappy and patternless with both teams resorting to long high balls as frustration mounted. Port secretary Rob Bennett saw the positives, “We had a clean sheet and no yellow cards.” Another good Traeth crowd were perhaps looking for something more.

There were a couple of early efforts, one from each team, with Ilan ap Gareth thumping a 20 yard shot which forced Roosters keeper Leigh Jenims into a good save. At the other end a shot from distance from Jonathan Evans flew wide. After 13 minutes there was a 5 minute hold-up while Paul Pritchard received treatment having been knocked to the ground going up for a high corner ball. Shades of Trevor Ford! Both sides had efforts on goal and forced a number of corners but the deadlock remained. There were efforts from Mel McGinness and a shot from distance from Jay Gibbs which tested Leigh Jenkins. While for Penrhyncoch, Rimmer’s corners were a threat and Paul Pritchard was down low to save from Gittins cutting in from the left. Towards the end of the half he had to pull off a good save to push away a Tom Evans header. The closest Port came to a goal was a burst from Mel McGinness but his shot went over the bar and, near to the interval, John Owen forced Jenkins into a good save at his near post.

At the start of the second half there was some short lived hope as Port enjoyed a period where passes started to stick. But 10 minutes into the half and we were back to more of the same as defences remained on top and if a goal was to come it would probably be the result of a defensive error. High balls into the box caused some defensive panic but there was no one at either end who could apply a finishing touch. In fact during the second period there were no shots on target. For Port there was a 30 yard Jay Gibbs free kick which went over the bar and in the closing stages John Owen carried to the edge of the box but he pulled his shot wide. For the visitors their best move came when Gittins made a strong run down the left and when it was eventually played into the box Steff Davies lifted his shot over the bar. Their only other effort of note came when Jonathan Evans cut in from the left but again the shot went over the bar.

It was something of a relief when referee Mark James blew the final whistle. At least neither side can claim to be hard done by as neither deserved to win. We can only conclude that a draw was a fair result on the night.

Assistant manager Craig Papirnyk commented on a valuable point gained, “On reflection and given the situation we find ourselves in, that was a good point last night against a well organised, hard working and honest Penrhyncoch team who have started the season really well. Great support on a Tuesday evening. Diolch /Thanks"

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Rob Evans, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Tomos Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs, Ilan ap Gareth (Rhys Alun 72’), Mel McGinness, (Sion Parry 85’), John Owen, Telor Williams (John Livermore 65’) ’. Unused subs:Dan Roberts. Math Roberts.

Penrhyncoch:: Leigh Jenkins, Jack Rimmer, , Matt Pemberthy, Owain James, Sion James, Gwion Pugh-Jones, Ethan Rees Tom Evans Steff Davies (Ifan Burrel 85’). Jonathan Evans, Steff Gittins Subs: Matthew Evans Carwyn Morgan. Aneurin Thomas. Sion Meredith.

Referee: Mark James
Attendance: 231

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North-Saturday, 12/10/19

LLANFAIR UNITED................................ 1
Tom Gregory 19’

CPD PORTHMADOG........................---- 3
John Owen 26’
Jay Gibbs 41’
Sion Parry 85’

A fully deserved win for Port, stringing back to back victories together. Despite this, they remain in 15th place but have now put themselves within striking distance of Llangefni, Gresford and Buckley who are placed immediately above them and who all suffered defeats today. Though they dominated play from the start, it took Port until the 41st minute before they went ahead for the first time and it took a late strike from Sion Parry before the travelling support could rest easy and breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Port started strongly and John Livermore and Rob Evans combined well down the right. But when the low cross came in there was no finishing touch. Though Port applied the early pressure, Llanfair had the first effort on goal when Paul Griffiths fired from distance. A good turn in the box from Mel McGinness followed, but his shot was palmed away by keeper Mark Richards. Then totally against the run of play the home team went ahead after 19 minutes on what was virtually their first foray into the Port box. A deep cross to the back post found Tom Gregory unmarked and his cool finish was struck low across the keeper to make it 1-0.

Following the goal Port lifted their game and went in search of the equaliser. Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs and Ilan ap Gareth started to pull the strings in midfield and, 6 minutes after going behind, Port drew level when a well judged through ball from Iwan Lewis put John Owen in on goal and the forward pushed on into the box for a well placed finish. Port were now in control John Owen received again, this time from Jay Gibbs but keeper Richards was equal to the task and saved well. Pressure continued with McGinness pulling his shot wide and Jay Gibbs having a shot blocked, But with half time approaching Port went ahead. Midfield duo Ilan ap Gareth and Jay Gibbs combined well with Jay Gibbs running on to a fine angled ball and lashing it into the roof the net for his 6th of the season. Port went looking for the 3rd and twice before the interval John Owen was put through on goal. The keeper saved the first with his legs and then when Ilan ap Gareth put another through ball to the edge of the box the shot went inches the wrong side of the post. Half-time came with Port 2-1 ahead but feeling that they could have been further in front.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Port pressing and having a good 80% of the possession but were unable to forge ahead to make the game safe. The home team defended determinedly especially from corners and set pieces in general. Behind them keeper Mark Richards was in outstanding form. Early in the half McGinness broke in on goal but Richards saved well. A cross from Tomos Emlyn on the left but Ilan ap Gareth’s header flew wide. Port forced numerous corners and won several free kicks around the edge of the area but were unable to find.the all important 3rd goal. Richards kept out an Ilan ap Gareth free kick with a full stretch diving save. Perhaps the best save of all came in the 68th minute when he pulled off a point blank save to keep out John Littlemore’s near post flick. Mel McGinness, who had dropped into a deeper role, was testing the home defence with some strong runs into the box and it needed yet another good save from Richards down at McGinness’s feet.

But with time ticking away and the score remaining at 2-1 Llanfair began to sense that there might well be something in the game for them. They began to push forward and there was an element of panic in the Port box for the first time. On 76 minutes Toby Evans was put through but Paul Pritchard was forced into a rare save. Well directed free kicks and corners from Paul Griffiths had the Port defence under pressure for the first time and there was much nail biting in the stand amongst the travellling support. In these exchanges the Port bar was struck and Alun Hughes fired over from a good position. Then when it was feared that the win was in danger of becoming a draw the sub did what all super subs do; -he netted the clincher on 85 minutes. Following a Jay Gibbs corner the ball broke loose for Sion Parry on the back post and he drove low from 8 yards. After consulting with his linesman the referee confirmed the goal and it was relief all round -players, coaching staff and supporters. On to Tuesday and another tough test at home to Penrhyncoch.

A couple of nice footnotes to today’s game:
Llanfair commented, “Best away following we’ve had so far this season. All the best for the rest of the season”
We can add that it is always a delight to visit the Mount Field and meet up with a hard working and honest club.
Today was Ceri James’s 200th appearance in a Port shirt and he was presented with an appreciative bottle to celebrate, How did Ceri respond? He did what he always does -marshalled things from the back and when the panic was on kept his cool! Diolch Ceri.

Post match comment Sion Eifion: “Great to get another three points on board today!! Fantastic turn out from our brilliant fans as usual. Big wek ahead.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Rob Evans, Ceri James, Josh Banks, Tomos Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs, Ilan ap Gareth, Mel McGinness(Gethin Thomas 89’)), John Livermore (Sion Parry 75’), John Owen (Telor Williams 89’). Unused subs: Math Roberts, Rhys Alun. Yellow: Tomos Emlyn 62’, Mel McGinness 72.

Llanfair. Mark Richards, Alun Hughes, Tom Gregory, Paul Griffiths, Gethin Stephens, Rhys Stephens, Matthew Bumford, Rob Bumford, Gethin Jones, Toby Evans, Aron James. Subs Ben Jones, Dan Kenyon, Ryan McVeagh, Karl Seliaerts.Yelow: Gethin Jones 73'

Referee: John Andrew Jones

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North-Saturday, 28/09/19

CPD PORTHMADOG........................2
Jay Gibbs 68’, 72'


Going into this match Port were languishing at the foot of the table, with only a point to our name; the result was therefore greeted with a huge sigh of relief! The result, however, only tells only part of the story! This wasn’t a classic, but for what it lacked in quality, it made up for it in drama and controversy!

The opening skirmishes of the match were pretty even, with neither side gaining the upper hand. Jay Gibbs, who would go on to play a central role in the drama, had the opening chance – his powerful free kick after quarter of an hour scraped the outside of the Ruthin post after Tomos Emlyn was bought down on the edge of the box. Port then had Paul Pritchard to thank as Ruthin countered 5 minutes later – the keeper doing well to hold onto a Thomas Sharples shot which found its way though a forest of legs. A couple of minutes later, Pritchard was forced to palm clear an Alexander Webster free kick; the keeper was thankful that none of the Ruthin players were alert enough to pounce on the loose ball.

As the half wore on without a breakthrough, nerves were beginning to show for the home side. The importance of the match was clearly not lost on the players and mistakes and frustration resulted in 3 yellow cards being shown. Then, just as it began to look like it was going to be another frustrating afternoon for Port, came a huge turning point. With 37 minutes on the clock, Tomos Emlyn, who’d looked dangerous with his forays forward from left-back, put in a robust challenge on Dafydd Evans on the edge of the visitors’ box. Ref Sion Davies ignored cries of a foul from Ruthin – indicating that Emlyn had taken the ball cleanly. Feeling he’d been fouled, the red mist descended on Evans as he immediately got up to his feet and unceremoniously bundled Tomos Emlyn to the floor. The ref had little choice but to show Evans a straight red for violent conduct.

Playing against 10 men, this now looked like a good opportunity for Port to push for their first win of the season. Six minutes later and things looked even better for Port! From a scramble in the box, the ball seemed to be heading goalwards before it was saved on the line by defender Richard Harvey-Davies. And after consulting his linesman, the ref awarded a penalty for hand-ball and the inevitable red card for Harvey-Davies. Down to 9 men and facing a penalty, things looked grim for the visitors! Up stepped Jay Gibbs to take the penalty, but his effort was far too close to the keeper Ryan Goldston who saved comfortably.

A minute before the half-time whistle, Port looked to have broken the dead-lock as John Littlemore headed home when un-marked. However, the linesman’s flag was up and the goal was cancelled. No score at half time but with a two man advantage, Port definitely had the upper hand.

For a team in Port’s position, however, it was never going to be straight-forward – even against 9 men! Despite hogging most of the ball, it took until 55 minutes for them to create the first opportunity of the half – Mel McGinness with a point blank header which struck the keeper. A minute later and Port had a golden opportunity to score as the ref again pointed to the spot after Tom Dyer recklessly slid in to bring down John Owen in the box. Again it was Gibbs who elected to take the penalty and unfortunately for him, despite a slightly better effort, the result was the same – Goldston again saving the visitors.

As the half wore on, nervous home supporters began to wonder if their team would be able to break the dead-lock? Surely the 9 men couldn’t hold out for an unlikely draw?! Then on 68 minutes came the break through! Iwan Lewis did well down the left before cutting the ball back to Jay Gibbs who made no mistake this time, blasting home past Goldston. Four minutes later and it was 2:0. Gibbs again with a well taken goal following an intricate one-two with Mel McGinness on the edge of the box.

The two goal lead steadied the nerves and, despite showing a lot of spirit and effort, Ruthin’s 9 men rarely looked a threat to Paul Pritchard’ goal. John Owen came close to increasing the lead with a shot past the post after 78 minutes, but after that effort Port seemed content to keep the ball and run down the clock to safeguard their first win of the season.

This was not a classic, but it was the result which mattered! Siôn Eifion got his first win of the season and Port moved off the foot of the table. Doubtless the red cards had a huge part to play in the result, but the referee had little choice but to award both. Credit to Jay Gibbs who didn’t let the double penalty miss to affect him and bounced back with a well-taken brace. Next week we visit Llanfair Utd, hoping to keep the momentum going.

Post match comments:
Manager Sion Eifion, “Great to get our first win today! Onwaeds to better days, Thanks to the Port fans for their brilliant support as always. Ymlaen a ni!”
Assistant manager Craig Papirnyk “Nice to get that first Porthmadog win of the season today, turned out to be a crazt game with 2 red cards and us missing 2 penalties! But at the end of the day it was about the 3points All the best to Chris Hardy and Ruthin town for the rest of the season”
Jay Gibbs who had an eventful game! “Missed two penalties at 0-0thankfully kept my cool to score two goals from open play to secure the win. Relieved !!

PORTHMADOG: Paul Pritchard, Josh Banks, Ceri James, Tomos Emlyn, Rob Evans (Gethin Thomas 88’), Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs, John Littlemore (Rhys Alun 69’), Ilan ap Gareth (Siôn Parry 81’), John Owen, Mel McGinness

RUTHIN TOWN: Ryan Goldston, Dafydd Evans, Richard Harvey-Davies, Tom Dyer, Thomas Sharples, Ilan Hughes, William Owen, Osian Davies, Llyr Morris, Gwion Owen (Patrick Cox 69’), Alex Webster

Attendance: 221

Emyr Gareth
JD Cymru North-Saturday, 28/09/19

Khyam Wytton 41’
Iwan Matthews 44’, 89’
Gary Meredith 74’

CPD PORTHMADOG........................2
Jay Gibbs 14’
Mel McGinness 54’

The cold reality of the Cymru North 2019/20 season is descending on the club and its supporters. A good performance against league leaders Prestatyn goes out of the window as the bread and butter games continue to go against them. Once again their defensive frailties were exposed. as Llanrhaeadr continued their great start to the season to move up to 2nd place in the table. Port failed to capitalise on the early lead, conceding twice in 3 minutes shortly before half-time. Then, despite drawing level early in the 2nd half, once again failed to take advantage of a good period of play to go on and win the game. Instead they slumped to their 7th defeat of the season.

The early play was even but a couple of early jittery moments at the back were a sign of what was to come. It needed a good block from Ceri James when Dan Hindley’s long throw created panic and a deflection was needed to keep out a shot on the turn from Tom Evans while Rob Evans cleared off the line following a corner. But it was Port who went ahead in a most spectacular way. Deadball specialist Jay Gibbs struck a belter from 35 yards into the far corner of the net. Following the goal Port raised their game and John Owen increasingly became a threat to the home defence. A good exchange of passes between Owen and Mel McGinness created a shooting chance for the former but the finish lacked power and keeper Hayns saved comfortably. A minute later and McGinness’s flicked header went narrowly past the post. Gibbs then tested Hayns with a low shot from the edge of the box and with Port continuing to apply pressure Ilan ap Gareth went down in the box only for Mr Wright to wave play on. It needed another save from the keeper when Ilan ap Gareth this time curled a shot aimed for the top corner. The same player crossed low to the far post inches beyond McGinness’ reach.

In the latter stages of the opening half the home team again pushed forward. Paul Pritchard blocked Iwan Matthews, as he attempted to take advantage of a good crossfield pass. Minutes before the end of the half Llanrhaeadr struck twice in 3 minutes to take the lead. The goals came from a couple of Iwan Matthews free kicks wide on the left. The first was not dealt with defensively and Khayam Wytton was on hand to score from close range. Matthews needed a large slice of luck to find the net with the 2nd free kick. The powerful strike took a huge deflection leaving Paul Pritchard stranded as Llanrhaeadr turned the game on its head.

The game restarted with Port badly in need of an equaliser and 9 minutes in, it had arrived. After Sam Thomas fired over the bar for Llanrhaeadr, Mel McGinness struck for Port. A brilliant forward ball from Telor Williams set up McGinness who controlled superbly and with the neatest of flicks took the ball behind the home defence and finished coolly with a lob into the corner of the net. The goal heralded a good period of Port play. John Owen broke well down the left but fired into the side netting from a narrow angle while Iwan Lewis’s low curling cross was just beyond Mel McGinness, sliding in at he back post. McGinness, having his best game since joining the club, was now in the thick of everything. He had another effort deflected wide and when he again broke behind the home defence, failed to finish with an attempted lob. Hayns needed another good save when McGinness met a Rob Evans cross.

Despite the pressure the 3rd goal refused to come and on 74 minutes disaster struck as it tends to do when you need just a little piece of good luck. When Hindley picked up a loose ball on the left a slip on the wet surface for Paul Pritchard allowed Gary Meredith in at the back post for the simplest of tap ins. Port were now chasing the game again. Subs Rhys Alun and Sion Parry were introduced into the fray. It was now a last ditch effort as John Owen fired over the bar and a Sion Parry header flew wide and Rob Evans fired one from distance. Then in the 89th minute Iwan Matthews sealed the win for the home team, meeting Sam Thomas’s free kick at the back post and volleying the best of the 4 Llanrhaeadr goals.

Assistant manager Craig Papirnyk commented, “As always thanks today to the travekking supporters who got behind the lads throughout the game, fell well short of the mark and expectation level. Credit to Llanrhaeadr deserved winners.”

Port were forced to play with just one of the back four of last weekend with Dan Roberts suspended and Tomos Emlyn and Iddon Price unavailable. Let’s hope for better luck next weekend at home to Ru thin as each game becomes increasingly vital.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Rob Evans, Telor williams, Ceri James, Josh Banks, Jay Gibbs, Iwan Lewis, Ilan ap Gareth, John Littlemore (Rhys Alun 77’), Mel McGinness (Sion Parry 83’), John Owen. Unused subs: Math Roberts, Gethin Thomas. Yellow: John Littlemore 19’, Iwan Lewis 25’, Mel McGinness 31’.

Llanrhaeadr: Jimmy Hayns, Joe Mattison, Dan Kelly, Sam Thomas, Khayam Wytton, Matt Evans, Tom Evans, Joe Vaughan, Iwan Matthews, Gary meredith, Dan Hindley. Used sub: Matthew Williams. Unused: Harry Lloyd (gk), Tom Bailey, Lee Green.

Referee: David Wright

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North -Saturday, 21/09/19

Match Sposors: L J PLASTERING

CPD PORTHMADOG................................1
John Owen 52’
PRESTATYN TOWN.................................2
Roberts Hughes 75’(p)
Jack Higgins 86’

The result of this game. between top and bottom of the JD Cymru North, turned on events which produced a massive melee involving both sets of players and also brought both benches to the scene. It started with a foul on Rob Evans on the halfway line which sparked a reaction and was a signal for all and sundry to be drawn in.. It ended, perhaps surprisingly given the numbers involved, with Dan Roberts alone being carded and given his marching orders. Port were a goal up at the time but being reduced to ten men put them on the back foot and the whole episode seemed to unsettle Port; while Prestatyn pushed forward to win a penalty and followed this with a late winner.

One thing is for sure, the game bore little resemblance to a top v bottom tussle, with Port taking the game to the league leaders and showing that given more performances like this they will not be in their current position for too long. Any spectators turning up to see an avalanche of Prestatyn goals will be sorely disappointed, whereas the Port faithful, despite the defeat, have reasons enough to hope that better days lie ahead.

Port got off to a flyer and it needed a top class save by keeper Rushton to deny Jay Gibbs a first minute goal after being set up by a Rob Evans break. The vistors responded with a good break down the right from Jack Kenny but his ball across the face of goal evaded everyone. In general, in the opening half, Port posed the greater threat. Ilan ap Gareth fired wide and then came close to providing the finishing touch from Telor Williams’ low cross. The same player was only narrowly off target when a Rob Evans cross came over. Port pressure mounted as they forced a series of corners and from one of these Dan Roberts headed wide. Keeper Rushton had to scramble the ball away under heavy pressure from Telor Williams. At the other end the referee turned down loud Prestatyn appeals for a penalty when Kenny went down in the box. But with half -time near Tomos Emlyn came close to putting Port ahead when he cut inside to the edge of the box and cracked a low shot which Rushton saved diving full stretch to turn it round the post. Goalless at half-time with Port edging it on points.

Just 7 minutes into the second half and Port were ahead. Tremendous work by Iddon Price set up the goal. He won the ball with a great tackle inside his own half, pushed forward and put John Owen in behind the home defence. Owen cut inside past one defender, made an angle for himself and fired low inside the near post. Against all the odds Port had a lead. A couple of minutes later and It needed an excellent save from Paul Pritchard to tip James Stead’s well struck free kick over the bar. Just ahead of the hour mark came the moments of madness which took away from a highly competitive and exciting game, a game that was very much in the balance. Losing Dan Roberts meant rearrangements for Port and a sjgnal for Prestatyn to push forward, Neil Gibson also made his substitutions bringing on Higgins and Faulkner. Minutes later and Prestatyn got their goal. Alex Jones went down in the box and this time the referee pointed to the spot. Robbie Hughes stepped up and drove low wide of Paul Pritchard’s right hand. Paul Pritchard was in the action again moments later, saving a powerfully hit shot from Hughes coming at him through a crowded box. Despite being pushed deep into their own half, Port did not lie back and a great run from Tomos Emlyn down the right, a good low cross but again no finishing touch. End to end and Paul Pritchard turns a Rob Hughes shot round the post. John Owen then came close for Port but the final word went to Prestatyn. A high ball into the box that was not dealt with and Parker flicks on for sub Higgins to score the winner from close range.

At the end the returning Craig Papirnyk commented, “Nice to be back at Y Traeth today, credit to the Port lads, put in a shift and gave a very solid performance, unlucky not to get at least a point in the end. We build on this now and move on. Prestatyn are a top side and will take some stopping this season.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Iddon Price, Jay Gibbs, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans (Rhys Alun 90+1), Ilan ap Gareth (Ceri James 79’), John Owen, Telor Williams (Mel McGinness 86’). Unused subs: John Littlemore , Sion Parry. Red: Dan Roberts 60’)

Prestatyn: Jon Rushton, Zebb Edwads, Alex Jones, Kai Edwards, Mike Parker, Ben Maher, Jack Kenny, Rob Hughes (Ross Weaver 90'), James Stead, James Hay (Casey Faulkner 72), McCauley Taylor (Jack Higgins 72’). Subs: James Jones, Ryan Woods.

Referee: Cheryl Foster
Attendance: 234.

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North-Saturday, 14/09/19

LLANDUDNO TOWN................................4
Danny Hughes 11’
Anthony Marshall 34’
Bryan Roberts 57’
Dean Seager 89’

CPD PORTHMADOG...........................,,,,,1
Josh Banks 51’

It was another disappointing away day for Port supporters as they saw their team go down once more to a heavy defeat. Though the scoreline might not have been a wholly true reflection of the game, too many mistakes at the back were rutlessly punished, while at the other end a few good chances were spurned. At the start of the game there were two clubs in need of a win and the longer the game went on the more the home team grew in confidence while the visitors increasingly failed to compete as the game drifted away from them.

After the early damage was done Port enjoyed a good spell in the latter part of the half, imposing themselves on the game for the first time. Telor Williams played in Rhys Alun who fired wide and then the same player opened up the home defence playing John Owen in one-on one with the keeper. But Shaun Pearson advanced quickly to the edge of the box to block the shot, making an important save. Pearson made another vital save on the stroke of half-time when he did well to divert Jay Gibbs’ goalbound 30 yard free-kick over the bar. 2-0 at the interval to the home side.

Port returned to the pitch knowing that an early goal was essential and within 6 minutes this had been achieved. From the start of the second period Telor Williams and John Owen were a threat down the left. This pairing set up the opening for Josh Banks whose cracking shot from 18 yards could only be touched into the net by keeper Pearson. The same pairing were threatening again and, after an exchange of passes, Telor Williams broke into the box but Pearson was out quickly again to cut out the danger. Just as Port looked like getting a foothold in the game defensive frailties were again exposed. Dangerman Robbie Parry found himself free in the centre of the park, breaking to the edge of the box with the ball reaching Bryan Roberts on the left of the box. His well struck angled shot found the far corner of the net. So it was back to square one for Port and when your luck is out, your luck is out. Telor Williams, whose partnership with John Owen looked like blossomimg, picked up a groin injury and had to be replaced. John Owen continued to threaten but when he cut across the penalty area and fired low Pearson again saved well. Rhys Alun also fired narrowly over the bar.

But for the last 20 minutes it was Llandudno back well on top. Ceri James had to clear of his line and, when Pomeyie shot on the turn, it was diverted for a corner. Sirrel’s header from a corner was well saved by keeper Morgan Jones. For their 4th goal Llandudno once again again took advantage of a mistake at the back, with Dean Seager intercepting Ceri James’s cross field pass and drilling the ball into the back of the net from 15 yards.

These are worrying times at the Traeth and with a 6 point gap already developing between Port at the bottom and Gresford and Buckley on 7 points in the posittions of safety. This is clearly not the best time to welcome league leaders Prestatyn next Saturday.

Worrying also for manager Sion Eifion who commented “Simply not good enough. Apologies to all fans today and for the shocking start we have made to the seasonSleeves up and get out of this poor run ASAP.”

Porthmadog: Morgan Jones, Tomos Emlyn, Josh Banks, Ceri James Dan Roberts, Telor Williams (Rob Evans 62’), Jay Gibbs (Iwan ap Gareth 85’), Iwan Lewis, John Owen, Mel McGinness, Rhys Alun (John Littlemore 79). Unused subs: Sion Parry, Gethin Thomas.

Llandudno: Shaun Pearson, Dan Stephens, SamDowney, Anthony Marshall, Danny Hughes (Aaron Pomeyie 62), Dean Seager, Robbie Parry, Lewis Sirrell, Bailey Jackson, Lee Thomas (Aron Hughes-Jones 80’), Bryan Roberts (Joe Carey 71’). Unused subs: Stuart Howson, Alfons Fosu-Mensah.

Referee: Aled Williams

Gareth Williams
JD Cymru North -Tuesday, 10/09/19

Match Sponsors: HARLECH TOYOTA

CPD PORTHMADOG........................................2
John Owen 20’
Mel McGinness 26'

LLANGEFNI TOWN...........................................2
Craig Roberts 19’
Callum McMinimee 82’

At the 5th attempt Port got a point on the board. But as home supporters made their way from the Traeth at the end, the feeling was that the one point should have been three. Port held a 2-1 advantage from the 26th minute until the late equaliser arrived 8 minutes from time. But the late rally by Llangefni, after Port had dominated possession in the first period and for much of the second half, ended with a 25 yard Colin McMinimee cracker levelling the scores at 2-2. Apart from the point, the positive for Port was the quality of the performance, especially in the opening half when the pace and skill of new signing John Owen was a constant threat. However they failed to capitalise on the possession and clear territorial advantage to net an all important 3rd goal .

Port started on the front foot with the play concentrated in the Llangefni half. The first effort on goal came after 12 minutes when John Owen slipped an inside pass to Iwan Lewis whose low shot went narrowly the wrong side of the post. The pressure continued with Port attacking at pace and with plenty of movement. John Owen Josh Banks and Telor Williams were threats in wide areas but against the run of play it was the visitors who went ahaed. The pace of Matthew Jones wrong footed the Port defence and a neat exchange of passes freed Craig Roberts in space in the box to finish confidently from 12 yards. The lead however was short lived as Port hit back immediately and when a low ball was played into the centre of the box John Owen was on hand to apply the finishing touch from close in. Just 6 minutes later and Port were deservedly ahead and it was a top class build up, Telor Williams’s cross field pas was neatly brought down by John Owen who put Josh Banks in to the byline. Banks’s accurate cross was met by Mel McGinness whose well placed header found the net from 5 yards. Llangefni were a threat on the counter and keeper Morgan Jones had to be out quickly to push away a Craig Roberts effort and Matthew Jones fired a low, powerful shot but wide of the post. With half time loomingg John Owen came close for Port when his curling shot whistled close to Tyler French’s left post.

Port had to reshuffle for the second half with Dan Roberts having to be subbed with Rob Evans coming on It also meant switching Josh Banks to central defence and Telor Williams to left back all of which reduced Port’s threat in wide areas which had been a factor in the first half. Port continued to push forward however and 2 minutes into the 2nd half another Mel McGinness header was close. Jay Gibbs then struck a powerful 25 yard free kick which Tyler French saved well at the expense of a corner. Port were enjoying plenty of possession but found a tight Llangefni defence difficult to breakdown. Gradually Llangefni came more into the game in the later stages and, with Port unable to secure the 3rd goal, sensed they could get something from the game. They relied mainly on shots from distance and sub Jake Jones fired one over the bar from 18 yards. A good response from Port came with an excellent low cross from Iwan Lewis only lacking the all important final touch. Port’s failure to clinch the all important 3rd goal was punished when a Colin McMinimee 25 yard cracker curled into the corner of the net, beyond the outstretched arms of keeper Morgan Jones. The scores were level and despite late, late efforts to the end, that’s how it remained at the final whistle.

When you are on a losing run it strikes at your confidnce, the confidence required to hang on for the victory. But the overall performance should give the team more of a lift even than the point. On to Llandudno on Saturday.

Porthmadog: Morgan Jones, Tomos Emlyn, Dan Roberts (Rob Evans 46’), Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Ceri James (John Littlemore 82’), Jay Gibbs, Iwan Lewis, Mel McGinness (Sion Parry 64’), John Owen, Telor Williams. Unused subs; Ilan ap Gareth, Rhys Alun. Yellow: Tomos Emlyn 62’, Jay Gibbs 82’.

Llangefni Tyler French, Gari Owen (Jake Jones 14’) Cai Roberts, Alun Roberts, Andrew Sinclair, Steve Kehoe, Colin McMinimee, Craig Roberts, Iwan Jones, Matthew Jones, Gerwyn Roberts (Mike Lundstram 64’. Yellow: Steve Kehoe 32’, Alun Roberts 49’.

Referee: James Walker
Attendance: 284.

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us