CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Gresford (h) | Holywell (h) | Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant (h) | Guilsfield (h) | Colwyn Bay Res (h) |

Lock Stock Fireworks Cup: Sadwrn / Saturday 26/4/19 (Y Morfa Conwy)

PORTHMADOG (Ail-dîm / Res) ......2
Morgan Jones 1’
Guto Gwenallt 90 (+3)

BAE COLWYN ..............................1
Jordan Carrington 10’

“Am dymor!! Mae’r hogia’ yma yn gredyd I’w hunain ac i’r Clwb,” oedd sylw balch y Prif Hyfforddwr Sion Eifion yn dilyn buddugoliaeth ei dîm, gyda gôl hwyr yn ystod yr amser anafiadau yn sicrhau ennill Cwpan Her Tân Gwyllt Lock Stock.
Roedd codi’r Gwpan yn cwblhau tymor gwych i’r Ail-dîm wrth iddynt wneud y Dwbwl yn ennill y Gwpan a’r Gynghrair.
Nid un o’r buddugoliaethau arferol gyda digon o goliau oedd hon gan bu’n rhaid i’r hogia’ frwydro pob modfedd o’r ffordd i guro Ail-dîm Bae Colwyn nos Wener.
Port aeth ar y blaen yn y munud cyntaf a hynny yn y modd mwyaf annisgwyl. Y golwr Morgan Jones, â’r gwynt cry’wrth ei gefn, oedd yn gyfrifol, yn taro cic ar hyd y cae i’r rhwyd, Rhyfeddol!! Ond ar ôl 10 munud roedd hogia’r Bae yn gyfartal 1-1 gyda Jordan Carrington yn sgorio . Ychydig cyn yr Hanner Amser roedd Morgan yng nghanol pethau eto. Tynnodd ymosodwr Y Bae i lawr- cic o’r smotyn. Wedyn arbedodd y gic 12 llath!
Dim mwy o goliau yn ystod y 90 munud, er i Cai Henshaw rhoi’r bęl yn y rhwyd ar 87 munud, ni chafodd ei chaniatau. Roedd amser ychwanegol yn edrych yn anorfod OND yn y 3ydd munud o amser anafiadau, dyma Guto Gwenallt yn rhwydo 2-1 i Port ac amser i’r dathliadau gychwyn!!

“What a season! These boys are an absolute credit to themselves and the Club,” was the proud comment of Port Res Head Coach, Sion Eifion following his team’s tense added time victory to lift the Lock Stock Fireworks Challenge Cup at Y Morfa, Conwy on Friday evening.
The Cup win completed a magnificent season for the Reserves as they completed a memorable League and Cup double as the unbeaten season continues.
This win was not of the high scoring variety as the lads were made to fight every inch of the way by the Colwyn Bay Res.
Port went ahead in the 1st minute from the unlikely source of keeper Morgan Jones who, with the wind on his back, netted directly from a goal kick!! But in the 10th minute Colwyn drew level,1-1 with Jordan Carrington scoring. Just before the interval keeper Morgan Jones found himself in the middle of the action. First, he brought down a Bay forward and then proceeded to save the penalty that followed.
There were no further goals during the 90 minutes, though Cai Henshaw netted on 87 mins only for it to be ruled out, and extra time seemed inevitable. The in the 3rd minute of added time Guto Gwenallt settled the game, 2-1 to Port and the celebrations could begin!!

Y Garfan yn y Ffeinal / Squad for the Final.
Morgan Jones, Aled Williams, Meilir Edwards, Ben Williams, Cedri Jones, Dion Roberts, Math Roberts, Guto Gwenallt, Cai Henshaw, Rhys Hughes, Sion Parry.
Ar y Fainc / Subs: Kai Williams, Sol Kempster, Jac Davies, Arwyn Jones, Josh Hughes, Reece Evans, Toby Foskett

Referee: Richard Burge
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 13 April 2019

Match Sponsor: HAFOD WEN, Harlech.

CPD PORTHMADOG ........................ 0

GUILSFIELD FC...... ............................2
Luke Francis 7’
Danny Barton 43’

This was not the way it was meant to end. Players and supporters were looking to farewell with manager Craig Papirnyk by producing a humdinger of a performance. Unfortunately, no-one had thought to mention this to Guilsfield who, rather than limp lethargically to the season’s end, were there to scrap for the points. Ahead after just 7 minutes and consolidating with a 2nd just before half-time, the Guils took their chances then closed down quickly in midfield denying Port the time and space to get into their usual slick passing game. Then in the second half, when Port dominated territory and possession, the defence was strong and organised keeping shooting opportunities down to a minimum with keeper Michael Jones never seriously tested.

Though the defeat was a disappointment, nothing can take away from the respect and admiration which Craig Papirnyk has earned for the way he has masterminded club development during his five-year stint at the Traeth.

Craig’s final comment was honest as ever; “Poor performance today by Port missed out on runners up, gutted with the result. Credit to the Guils, fully deserved the win, no excuses. That’s the end of the road for me, now on to pastures new ! He added his final thanks to the club; “Can’t thank the Porthmadog club and its supporters enough for everything over the years, gutted to be leaving but wish everyone all the best going forward! Come on Port !”

With Flint losing at Nantporth, a win today would have sealed the runners-up spot to make it a fitting way to end Craig’s Traeth tenure. The 2nd place, while it remains a possibility, now depends on Flint slipping up for a second time when they entertain Prestatyn next Saturday. If Port have to be satisfied with a 3rd place finish, it’s worth remembering that 3rd place would be Port’s best finish since the CA title season of 2002/03.

With a strong breeze on their backs Guilsfield got off to a lively start and were soon threatening the Port goal. Aaron Lloyd fired over in the 6th minute and a minute later they went one-up. A failed clearance rolled into the path of Luke Francis advancing at pace and, from just inside the box fired a powerful low shot past Paul Pritchard. Port responded with a good move down the right before switching the ball across field to Ifan Emlyn who hurried his shot and sliced it wide. Gradually Port began to settle into their game but the way the visitors closed down quickly, disrupted the flow of Port’s game and the final ball too often went astray. When in possession the Guils played with a high tempo and on 25 minutes Jake Cook broke strongly to the byline on the left but his low near post cross was lifted over the bar from close-in by George Clifton. Another break forward saw Chris Cathrall unleash a powerful shot but it went straight at Paul Pritchard.

Port’s best chance to draw level did not come until 40 minutes had elapsed when Tomos Emlyn broke dangerously down the left, cut inside for a clear shot on goal but lifted it over the bar. Then with 2 minutes of the first-half remaining the Guils capitalised on another Port error when a defensive header went astray and the visitors pounced with Jake Cook bursting forward into the box before squaring it to veteran striker Danny Barton who applied a clinical finish. 2-0 to Guilsfield at the interval and no more than they deserved.

The wind was a factor in the game and in the second half it was Port who applied incessant pressure from the start. A couple of headers for Gruff John and Rob Evans flew wide in the opening minutes of the second period. But the well organised Guils defence were in no mood to surrender working hard and denying Port any clear shots on goal. The best chance followed good work down the right by Iwan Lewis but with both Shaun Cavanagh and Julian Williams going for low cross the chance was lost. Another header went wide of the target when Iddon Price met Gruff John’s header into the box. A blast from 25 yards from Julian Williams followed but it went straight at keeper Mike Jones. In fact, despite all the Port second half pressure the closest to a goal came at the other end, when the Guils made a rare surge upfield with Cook crossing to the near post and Barton flicking goal wards but a great save from Paul Pritchard denied them a 3rd. Port continued to battle away to the end but this was not their day and Guilsfield’s tactical approach paid off and gave them their 3rd successive victory.

And so we reach the end of the season and despite the result today it brings the curtain down on what has been a memorable one. It marks the end also of the Cymru Alliance and on now to the FAW Championship.

One thing left to do. Thanks for everything Paps. We will be following your next move in football with more than a little interest.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff John Williams, Tomos Emlyn, Ceri James (Ilan ap Gareth 78’), Iddon Price, Mike Sharples, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans (Sion Parry 61’), Julian Williams, Shaun Cavanagh. Unused subs: Guto Gwenant, Morgan Jones (gk). Yellow: Mike Sharples 33’.

Guilsfield: Mike Jones, Chris Cathrall, James Parry, Andrew Ford, Sam Litchfield, Harry Clipton, Luke Francis (John Lloyd 75’), George Clifton. Danny Barton. Jake Cook, Aaron Lloyd. Unused subs: Steve Tomkins, Jacob Lloyd.

Referee: Alex Livesey
Attendance: 241.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 06 April 2019


CPD PORTHMADOG ........................ 2
Julian Williams 67’
Gruff J Williams 83’


This win, coupled with Flint’s defeat at Airbus, puts Port into 2nd place in the table. They were however made to work hard for the 3 points against a well organised Llanrhaeadr rearguard who defended in numbers and had keeper Jimmy Haynes also to thank for keeping Port out until the 67th minute. Sion Edwards, who had always looked the most likely to open up the visitors defence, set up Julian Williams for Port’s first goal and Gruff John with another back post header sealed the game with his 8th goal of the season -not bad for a full back!! To cap it all there was another clean sheet, the 13th of the season in the league for Paul Pritchard.

In his penultimate game of his 5-years in charge at the Traeth a pleased Craig Papirnyk reflected on the 17th win of the season like this: “Another good win today for Porthmadog, credit to Marc Griffiths and the Llanrhaeadr FC side, organised, worked tremendously hard and very difficult to break down. One more game to go and with 3rd guaranteed we will look to finish strongly.”

Port were on the attack from the off, with Sion Edwards the main threat down the left. An early cross was just a little too high for Shaun Cavanagh and soon after Haynes made the first of many saves tipping over Sion Edwards’ shot from a narrow angle over the bar. Though they were penned back Llanrhaeadr were looking for opportunities to break out and Iwan Mathews raced down the left but saw his shot hit the side netting. Despite early pressure, Port could have gone behind in the 11th minute when a badly misdirected pass allowed Joe Vaughan to break goalwards forcing keeper Paul Pritchard into a rash tackle which was punished with a penalty. Paul Pritchardc got up to get Port off the hook with an excellent save diving to his left to deny Kyam Whytton the goal from 12 yards.

That was more or less the only real threat on Paul Pritchard’s goal in the half. Though Port were dominating possession and passing the ball around they found creating clear chances a problem. A low drive from Shaun Cavanagh went across the face of goal. This came following a neat through ball from Cavanagh which put Iwan Lewis in on goal but keeper Haynes was out quickly to block the shot. Frustration was building in the Port ranks towards the middle part of the half as the visitors continued to resist and passes began to go astray as they searched for that all important first goal. With half time approaching a chance came and, unsurprisingly was laid on by Sion Edwards who was now operating doen the right. His crossfield ball put Shaun Cavanagh in acres of space but Haynes was out to make what turned out to be a comfortable save. It remained goalless at the interval.

In the second period Rob Evans replaced Ceri James and went on to influence the game with good runs down the right. Port now went to a 4-4-2 formation with Shaun Cavanagh joining Julian Williams up front. Early in the second period it needed a great block on the linefrom Tom Bailey to keep out a low drive from Shaun Cavanagh. The visitors responded with a free kick fromWyton to the back post and Paul Pritchard collected the header which followed. The half then followed a similar pattern as the first, with Port searching for the elusive goal. Gruff John fired a free kick over the bar after Shaun Cavanagh had been brought down on the edge of the box. Ifan Emlyn then fired one narrowly over from 25 yards. Port were getting closer and it was a mighty relief when on 67 minutes the goal finally arrived. A Sion Edwards burst down the left took him past three defenders and after getting to the byline whipped a perfect cross to the back post where Julian Williams was unmarked to head in from close range; his 12 goal of the season.

Pressure continued on the Llanrhaeadr goal and Sion Parry, who was on for Shaun Cavanagh, burst down the left and picked out Rob Evans in the box but the shot was blocked. A header from Julian Williams was saved but, in the 63rd minute, the 2nd goal came. Mike Sharples had remained up following a corner and he found himself in space on the right and lifted a great cross to the back post, met by Gruff John heading across goal and nestling into the far corner. That settled the game and when Rob Evans blazed over the bar after another good move it was too late to matter. Llanrhaeadr for the second time this season had put up a stern resistance but the double was Port’s with both games ending in the same scoreline.

We now look to the final game of the season when Guilsfield provide the opposition. A win would keep the pressure on Flint, who have two games remaining. Those games are away against Bangor next Saturday and on the 20th April, Flint are home to Prestatyn. Port have the better goal differnce should that be the decider.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams, Tomos Emlyn, Iddon Price, Mike Sharples, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Ceri James ( Rob Evans 46’), Julian Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Sion Parry 78’), Sion Edwards (Ilan ap Gareth 85’). Unused subs: Craig Papirnyk (gk). Yellow: Tomos Emlyn 38’,Sion Parry 88’.

Llanrhaeadr: Jimmy Haynes, Mathew Evans,Dan Kelly, Sam Thomas (Lee Green 69’), Glen Evans, Tom Bailey, Khyam Wyton, Joe Vaughan, Iwan Matthews, Marc Griffiths, Keiran Evans. Unused subs: Mathew Jones, Dan Graham.

Referee: David White.
Attendance: 209

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance Saturday, 30 March 2019

HOLYWELL TOWN ..........................1
Damian Kettley 29’

CPD PORTHMADOG................. .......2
Sion Edwards 71’
Sion Parry 90’(+2’)

Port left it very late to clinch the 3 points at Halkyn Road this afternoon. Sion Parry, who had only come on in the 85th minute, sniffed out the winner two minutes into added time. An unconvincing first half had seen them fall behind in the 29th minute and, from then on they were left chasing the game against a committed home team. fighting for survival. A much improved second half performance followed and it was another Port sub, Sion Edwards, who netted the equaliser with 19 minutes remaining. A disappointing conclision for the Wellmen who saw the promise of 3 vital points slip away.

From the start Holywell looked to impose themselves on the game and two minutes in Winslade tested Paul Pritchard with a shot that was gathered at the 2nd attempt. Port looked a threat on occasions with breaks down the flanks but no one could get on the end of balls played into the box by Tomos Emlyn, Julian Williams and Gruff John. The Wellmens’s former Port keeper Tyler French remained relatively untroubled. It was the home team who provided most of the threats at this stage and in the 17th minute Pomereye raced on to a good ball into the box firing over the bar from 15 yards. A snapshot from Winslade suffered the same fate a minute later. Holywell looked the more likely to open the scoring and just short of the half hour mark they went ahead. Mark Winslade took advanatge of slack defending to win the ball on the edge of the box and a quick transfer gave Ketley a clear shooting chance which he took well driving low past Paul Pritchard. Play in the main had been untidy with the uneven bounce of the ball making life difficult for both teams. Port did push forward as half-time neared but still failed to trouble French. At the interval Port knew they would have to up their game if they were to get anything from it.

And that proved to be exactly what happened, as the pressure was on the home goal from the restart. Julian Williams put Shaun Cavanagh through on goal on the left but the shot lacked conviction going straight at French from 15 yards. A minute later and Julian Williams back post header was cleared off the line. Further chances came but the home goal survived and then Sion Edwards came from the bench to provide the spark that Port had been lacking. The introduction of Edwards also heralded a change of system to 4-4-2 with Cavanagh joining Julian Williams up front. Sion Edwards was only inches away from the equaliser when he met Ilan ap Gareth’s driven cross at the back post. The same pairing threatened again when Ilan ap Gareth volleyed a Sion Edwatds cross into the side netting. The pressure was mounting on the home goal and it was perhaps no surprise that Sion Edwards scored the equaliser. He broke to the byline on the left and somehow his cross/shot came off the bar and squeezed its way into the net.

Traffic was now pretty much one way with Holywell only threatening on a couple of occasions. With five minutes remaining Port brought on Sion Parry and on the stroke of the 90 he looked to have set up the winner with his cross from the right but somehow Iwan Lewis’ back post effort floated inches over, But two minutes into added time a break down the right provided the decisive ball into the box for Sion Parry to steer the ball past Tyler French and secure the 3 points.

Craig Papirnyk summed the afternoon’s events like this, “Never an easy place to go but the Port lads got the job done in the end against a well spirited and hard working Holywell Town. Keep going John Haseldine your luck will change. All the best with the survival fight.”

While the Wellmen manager John Haseldin added after the match, "It was tough to take today, much better side first half but faded second half against a strong Porthmadog side. We are disappointed with the goals we conceded, but credit to Craig Papirnyk, his substitutes had a big impact on the game. We are all hurting but determined to keep fighting! Friday night can't come quick enough now!”

With Flint also winning, Port remain a point behind in 3rd spot with just the two games left , while Flint have an extra game to play. Holywell’s late, late defeat leaves them in 15th spot with’ winners today Penrhyncoch having 3 points advantage in 14th place.

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams, Iddon Price, Mike Sharples, Tomos Emlyn, Ifan Emlyn Ceri James (Sion Edwards 53’), Iwan Lewis, Julian Williams, Shaun Cavanagh (Sion Parry 85’), Rob Evans ( Ilan ap Gareth61’). Unused subs: Keiran Hildidtch, Craig Papirnyk (gk).Yellow: Ceri James 40’, Sion Edwards 59’. Mike Sharples 72’.

Holywell Town: Tyler French, Tont Roebuck, Zebb Edwards, Jason Renshw, Daniel Dobbins, Jon Jones, Sam Jones, Rob Jones, Mark Winslade, Aaron Pomieye (Jamie McCall 81’), Damian Kettley (Steve Lewis75’). Unused subs: Josh Maldon, Aubrey Roberts, Matty Hughes. Yellow: Steve Lewis 76’, Daniel Dobbins 80’.

Referee: Mark James

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 23 March 2019

Match Sponsor: R J Williams HONDA Talsarnau

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................... 6
Gruff J Williams 10’,
Julian Williams 17’, 45’, 81’
Ifan Emlyn 26’’
Iwan Lewis 85’

GRESFORD ATHLETIC................. ....0

A goalscoring master class from Julian Williams set the tone for a Port performance which swept them to victory against one of the toughest nuts to crack in the HGA. A hat-trick from Julian, each one a super strike, taking advantage of a couple of quality assists from Ceri James back in his midfield role today. The three other goals were also top finishes with defender Gruff John turning up in the box to finish off a great build-up, a top corner rocket from Ifan Emlyn and late on Iwan Lewis got in on the act with an opportunist 6th. To put this win in perspective, Gresford conceded 6 goals today, the same number as they had conceded in their last 7 (seven) matches in total!.

It was a case of contrasting afternoons for the respective managers with a delighted Craig Papirnyk remarking, “All credit to the Port lads for that win today against a good Gresford side, 1st half performance was on another level!! Very professional 2nd half which was extremely pleasing and a great win. Always great to give the supporters some goals to cheer about as well.”

A disappointed Steve Halliwell, a manager certainly not used to heavy defeats, was generous in his response “6-0 is an embarasment to everyome associated with Gresford Athletic. We came up against a team that performed better than anyone we’ve faced all year -clinical and well drilled.”

Port were away to a good start and visitors keeper Ben Jones was soon in the action. clearing a Rob Evans cut-back and, soon after, saving Julian Williams’ low shot. But even so there was nothing in the early play to prepare us for the onslaught that was about to engulf the Gresford goal. 10 minutes into the game, and the Emlyn brothers combined io set-up a great move down the left. A good ball wae played into the goalmouth for the unlikely figure of full-back Gruff John to appear 8 yards out to steer the ball into the net and complete a sweeping move. There was not long to wait for Port’s second and this was a strike of the highest quality. Ceri James opened up the Gresford defence with a forward ball which was superbly controlled by Julian Williams and from a narrow angle struck a super effort past a helpless Ben Jones. When the third arrived it had been three goals in the space of 16 minutes. And the quality did not drop. Shaun Cavanagh squared the ball into the path of Ifan Emlyn who unleashed an exocet into the top corner of the net.

While all this was happening Gresford, although they passed the ball around fluently, were unable to make any real impact on the game. The closest they came was a good run down the left by Nathan Williams, a cut inside to force Paul Pritchard to cover well at his near post, Their only other opportunity fell to Joe Newton who was put through on goal but screwed his shot wide. As the first half was drawing to its close Port again raised their game. Ceri James came close with a shot from 25 yards and, on the stroke of half-time, Ceri James and Julian Williams combined again to conjure up another piece of magic. Ceri James picked out Julian Williams with another great forward ball and, following instant control, the ball was drilled into the net for Julian’s second. 4-0 at half-time.

Not unexpectedly Gresford came out on the front foot in the second period. They forced a couple of early corners. Steve Halliwell made his substitutions and the introduction of Jake Eyre did add a threat, latching on to a long ball, firing across goal but wide. The same was the fate of McCarter’s effort following a good break. It needed a strong intervention from Keiron Hilditch as Eyre again burst in on goal. Mc Carter also drew a good save from Paul Pritchard at his near post. Despite this Gresford response, Port remained in control of the game passing the ball around well and taking the sting out of the game. Then with the game entering it’s final 10 minutes, Port built up another head of steam. Julian Williams won the ball on the edge of the box and completed his hat-trick with yet another brilliant strike. Wnich was the best of the three? Take your pick -all were truly outstanding. Then with 5 minutes remaining Iwan Lewis wrapped up the scoring with a shot from 18 yards which took a deflection to end up in the corner of the net -no more than he deserved for another strong performance in midfield.

It was another clesn sheet for Paul Pritchard and, with Flint going down to Buckley, the 3 points cuts the gap to just one point. All in all a really good day!!

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams, Iddon Price (Keiran hilditch 52’), Mike Sharples, Tomos Emlyn, Ceri James (Cai Henshaw 60’),, Ifan Emlyn Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans (Ilan ap Gareth 76’) Julian Williams, Shaun Cavanagh. Unused subs: Sion Parry, Craig Papirnyk (gk)

Gresford: Ben Jones,Joe Culshaw, Nathan Williams (Keiron Evans 52’), Sam Pilkington, Jack Jones, Ben Burrows, Joe Newton, Jack Chaloner, Lewis George * Jake Eyre 52’), Simon Smith, Jordan McCarter. Unused subs: Will Roberts, Rees Airey.

Referee: James Walker (Oakenholt)
Attendance: 214

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us