CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Penrhyncoch (h) | Flint (h) | Rhyl (a) | Buckley (h) | Airbus (a) | Airbus (h) | Holyhead (h) | Denbigh (a) | Conwy (h) | Ruthin (a)

Huws Gray Alliance Satueday, 09 March 2019

RUTHIN TOWN.......................... 2
Llyr Morris 51’, 70’

CPD PORTHMADOG................. .0

Manager Craig Papirnyk echoed the frustration of the travelling support with his comment at the end of the 90 minutes, “ Football !!! Credit to Ruthin, fully deserved their win today. Nowhere near good enough from Port.” To the suporters he added, “Great away support as always, you deserved a much better performance. Thanks for continuing to follow the club.”

With the runners-up spot still a possibility, Port fell short at the Memorial Fields, reserving one of their poorest performances for an occasion when they needed to build on their winning run to keep up the pressure on Flint. But today, there were far too many below par performances against a Ruthin side who outperformed them all over the pitch. Despite a missed penalty, leading scorer, Llyr Morris, proved a match winner with his second-half brace. The Port player who certainly did not under perform was Paul Pritchard, as well as an excellent penalty save, he kept Port in the game with several really good saves. .”

Port started well enough and in the 4th minute Shaun Cavanagh crossed dangerously to the near post well cut out by keeper Gouldston. Julian Williams, looking lively for the visitors, met a Cavanagh free kick but his header lacked power. The home team responded with Ryan Jones firing over the bar and Paul Prutchard gathered well at his near post when Gwydion Ifan crossed a low ball to the near post. .

Pressure then mounted on the Port goal as Ruthin quickly switched defence into attack. Gwion Owen supplied Llyr Morris who fired straight at the keeper. Morris was soon a threat again and it needed a good recovery tackle from Ceri James to deny him a clear chance on goal. A Rhys Rowlands header followed, going over the bar and Paul Pritchard averted another difficult situation, going down well as the dangerous Morris closed in on goal. In the midst of this pressure Port did manage a clear chance on goal, only for Iwan Lewis to lift his shot over the bar. .

Having weathered the storm Port could have gone ahead just past the half hour mark, when in a mighty scramble in the crowded home box, Gouldston had to pull off a couple of last ditch blocks to deny Mike Sharples and then Julian Williams, But a final strike eluded Port and Ruthin escaped. Overall however The visiting support were pleased to see their team survive to the interval without conceding, as the home team had created the better chances. .

Ilan ap Gareth had an early effort on goal for Port but it was the home side who got their noses in front within just 6 second half minutes. Predictably it was Llyr Morris who served up the punishment. Running on to a through ball, outpacing the defence he broke in on goal and sent an angled shot past the advancing Paul Pritchard. Within 10 more minutes Ruthin could have doubled their advantage. Morris burst into the box on the right, only to be brought down by Mike Sharples. Referee Mark Jones pointed to the spot but a great save from Paul Pritchard denied Morris his 2nd goal. .

Port now used all three of their subs but there was little change. With 20 minutes remaining, Llyr Morris took advantage of hesitation in the Port defence when a high hopeful ball bounced on the edge of the box. Morris reacted quickly for what turned out to be a simple tap in. Port now had a mountain to climb but it was Morris again who came closest to finding the net. Another typical burst on to a through ball was thwarted by another excellent Pritchard save. .

Port kept going to the end but this was not their day and Ruthin deserved to take the 3 points. .

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams, Ceri James (Iddon Price 58’), Mike Sharples, Tomos Emlyn, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Ilan ap Gareth (Keiron Hilditch 68’), Julian Williams, Shaun Cavanagh, Rob Evans (Sion Parry 64’). Unused subs: Cai Henshaw, Craig Papirnyk (gk). .

Ruthin: Ryan Gouldston, Gwydion Ifan, Dafydd Evans, Tom Dyer, Kevin Evans, Rhys Rowlands, Charlie Williams, Matthew Evans, Llyr Morris (Tom Williams 89’), Gwion Owen (Isaac Edwards 84’), Ryan Jones. Unused subs: Matthew Davies, Craig Wilkinson. Yellow: Charlie Williams 34’, Dafydd Evans 54’. .

Referee: Mark James (Llandudno Junction).

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 02 March 2019


CPD PORTHMADOG ...................... 1
Ilan ap Gareth 15’

CONWY BOROUGH................. ........0

A goal 15 minutes into the opening half was enough to give Port the three points and, with Flint being held to a goalless draw, it moved Port ever closer to the 2nd placed club.. A good day too for Ilan ap Gareth, netting the all important goal, his first since joining the club on loan from Cefn Druids. Credit to both teams for playing some good attacking football in atrocious weather conditions and a far cry from the spring like weather of last weekend at Denbigh. A swirling, near gale force wind and driving rain made life diffiult fot both teams and, with the weather deteriorating further in the second period, it was not surprising that play became scrappy towards the end. But with just one goal separating the clubs things remained tense to the very end.

The strong wind was a factor from the start but, blowing more or less across the pitch, it did not seriously benefit either side, rather having a generally disruptive effect. Despite the conditions Port got off to a good start and after 3 mins Julian Williams slipped Sion Edwards in with a neat through ball but, in a one to one keeper, Ben Heald was off his line quickly to block the shot. A minute later Sion Edwards became the supplier with Julian Williams meeting his cross but Heald again pulled off another great save. A minute later and Julian Williams had a shot deflected for a corner. Conwy did not get a shot on goal until the 11th minute when Corrig McGonigle lifted a 25 yard free kick over the bar. But soon after the visitors came close to going ahead when an excellent move down the left, a slick exchange of passes put Bryan Roberts in but, his well struck shot, hit the post. The game continued to be played at pace and in the15th minute Ilan ap Gareth scored the goal that was to win the game. The assist for Ilan’s goal came from Rob Evans, A good break down the right by Rob Evans going past his marker on the outside and drilling a low ball to the near post where Ilan ap Gareth responded well to turn the ball into the net. Port looked likely to add to the opener with Sion Edwards a threst down the flanks. Gruff John met his free kick but Heald was down to grab the header at the 2nd attempt. Sion Edwards continued to be a major threat firing a dangerous ball across the face of goal and providing Julian Williams with a heading chance which went wide. Conwy did put the ball in the net on 28 mins but the referee had already blown up for an offence. A clever low free kick from McGonigle in the 40th minute brought Paul Pritchard into the action again, diving to his left to pull off an excellent save.So it remained 1-0 to Port at the interval.

From the off on the second period Port had a great chance when Sion Edwards found Julian Williams in the box but Heald pulled off a great save beating the ball away from goal. Conwy spurned a good chance to level the scores and, given the conditions it was not surprising, it resulted from an error.which Roberts quickly fastened on to but again it was Paul Pritchard to the rescue. The chances continued to flow with Ilan ap gareth from the byline pulling a ball back for Iwan Lewis whose shot went straight at the keeper. Play remained end to end and Paul Pritchard turned another McGonigle free kick for a corner. A period of heavy pressure followed this, with Port having to cling on until Craven finally fired over the bar. Back at the Conwy end and Ilan ap Gareth was unlucky to see his goalbound shot strike his own player. The HGA’s leading scorer Corrig McGonigle continued to get himself on the end of Conwy’s best efforts, a shot which was deflected for a corner and a lob which dropped on the crossbar. But with time running out Port’s miserly defence secured the clean sheet which meant three more points and th 14th win of the season, while Conwy went down to a 3rd consecutive 1-0 defeat.

Craig summed the game up like this: “Very good win for us today, credit to Conwy who made it very difficult and pushed us all the way. The boys showed character, desire and endeavour to get the win, another clean sheet and 3pts.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Cruff J Williams, Iddon Price (Ceri James), Mike Sharples, Tomos Emlyn, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans, Ilan ap Gareth, Julian Williams, Sion Edwards (Sion Parry 84’). Unused subs: Kieran Hilditch, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Ilan ap Gareth16’, Mike Sharples 81’, Iwan Lewis 37’, Ifan Emlyn 89’ Iddon Price.

Conwy Borough: Ben Heald, Nathan Williams, Guto Hughes (Leigh Craven 68’), Iolo Hughes, Anthony Marshall, Adam Pritchard, Bryan roberts, Tommy Creamer, Dean Seager, Corrig McGonigle, Lee Thomas (James Corey 77’). Unused sub: Gerwyn Jones.

Referee: John Andrew Jones
Attendance: 205

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance Satueday, 22 Februaryt 2019

DENBIGH TOWN.......................... 0

CPD PORTHMADOG................. ....3
Julian Williams 24’, 46’
Iwan Lewis 67’

A Julian Williams header midway through the first half set Port of on the road to the three points and with the forward, hitting his best form, he repeated the dose with another smart header in the first minute of the second period. Iwan Lewis then sealed the victory with an 18 yard cracker with more than 20 minutes still left to play. This solid, all-round team performance lifts Port to 3rd place in the table and yielded yet another clean sheet to be added to Paul Pritchard’s impressive list.

In the early stages neither side threatened, though Port controlled possession, while Denbigh looked to hit on the break. But the first real threat came after 15 minutes when the home side’s Mark Roberts burst dangerously into the box and it needed a well timed intervention from Mike Sharples to avert the danger. Port responded with a low effort from Rob Evans which was blocked for a corner by Miles Todd. Sion Edwards’ corner followed which home keeper Vernon was glad to touch over the bar. Port were beginning to build up a head of steam but it was Dembigh who came closest to scoring when Mark Roberts headed back into the goalmouth for an unmarked Walker who had his free header well saved by Paul Pritchard. The miss proved costly as two minutes later Port opened the scoring. An excellent free kick from Sion Edwards curled towards the back post and Julian Williams rose well to head back across the keeper into the far corner of the net. Port were now looking to build on their lead and Shaun Cavanagh almost caught Craig Vernon by surprise with a shot from the narrowest of angles but the keeper reacted well to tip over the bar. Mike Sharples met another Sion Edwards corner but his header went narrowly the wrong side of the post. For the home side Hinchcliffe whipped a free kick wide of the post while Paul Pritchard did well to avoid being wrong foted by a shot from Sirrell which took a couple of serious deflections en-route. Just before the interval a cross field ball gave Dan Lloyd a good shooting chance but he sliced wide. It remained 1-0 to Port at half-time.

With Ceri James having to withdraw at half-time, Iddon Price made his return after a lengthy period on the sidelines. Before supporters had properly regained their seats Port doubled their lead and it was another well judged header from Julian Williams. Gruff John crossed towards the near post from wide on the right and it was the neatest of headers to make it 2-0. Port went looking for a clinching 3rd goal and good work by Ifan Emlyn in a tight situation on the edge box worked an opening but the shot went straight at keeper Vernon.On 65 minutes the home side spurned a good chance to cut the deficit when a good ball in from the left by Downey reached Mark Roberts but with only the keeper to beat the forward blazed his shot over the bar. Almost in the next attack Port made the game safe with a third goal. A good move down the Port left with Sion Edwards crossing to the near post where the ball was laid back for Iwan Lewis who thumped an 18 yarder into the top corner. From then on the home side did not seriously threaten to get themselves back into the game. When Joel Hewitt lifted a free kick into the box Hinchcliffe directed his header straight at Paul Pritchard. Port continued to apply pressure and forced a couple of late corners. Late on sub Ilan ap Gareth came close when he raced on to a through ball. In the closing stages things got worse for the home team when striker Mark Roberts was given his marching orders for retaliation. Late on there was a flurry of cards but these were hardly a reflection of the way the game was played.

Despite the defeat Denbigh remain one place off the bottom three.We wish them all the best for the remainder of the season as a visit to Central Park is one we all look forward to. A well organised club, who improve and develop facilities from season to season is required at the 2nd tier. Keep going and stay up!!

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams (capt) Ceri James (Iddon Price 46’), Mike Sharples, Tomos Emlyn, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans, Shaun Cavanagh (Sion Parry 83’) , Julian Williams (Ilan ap Gareth 75’), Sion Edwards. Unused subs:Kieran Hilditch, Aled Williams. Yellow: Shaun Cavanagh 62’, Sion Edwards 69’, Ifan Emlyn 74’, Tomos Emlyn 82’.

Denbigh: Craig Vernon, Stuart Vernon ( Joel Hewitt75’), Dan Lloyd (Bailey Jackson 55'), Curtis Langton, Miles Todd, Sam Downey, Scott McHarrie, Lewis Sirrell ( ), Mark Roberts, Jacob Walker, Pat Hinchcliffe. Unused subs: Sion Jones. Red: Marc Roberts 82’,Yellow Lewis Sirrell 87’

Referee: Michael Gray (Rhyl)

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 16 February 2019

Match Sponsor: DEWI I ROBERTS Builder

CPD PORTHMADOG ......................2
Sion Edwards 25’
Iwan Lewis 63’

HOLYHEAD HOTSPUR................. ...0

A goal in each half proved enough to secure the 3 pts for Porthmadog in a game where both sides wasted good scoring opportunities. Had Holyhead taken one or two of the good opportunites they created then, despite their rock bottom position, they could have made it an even tighter contest. Port were again well served by keeper Paul Pritchard, not in constant action but was needed to pull off some outstanding saves when Hotspurs struck on the counter. Craig Papirnyk predicted, in his pre-match notes, that it would be an open game with both sides requiring the points for their differing reasons. The Islanders, with many quality performers, showed that they are in a false position in the table but, despite such a spirited performance, they are now running out of fixtures to rescue their season. The win on the other hand lifts Port into 4th place in the table. :

Hotrpurs almost got off to a dramatic start when former Port forward Chris Jones, was on the end of a long cross to the back post only to guide his shot across goal and wide. Port quickly responded with Ifan Emlyn pulling the ball back for Gruff John whose shot from the edge of the box was only narrowly off the mark. Gradually Port were getting the upper hand and should have gone ahead on 12 minutes when a great ball put Shaun Cavanagh in behind the visitors defence and racing goalwards but his shot wwas driven wide of keeper Carl Jones’s near post. Port continued to put the Hotspurs under pressure with Jay Gibbs firing narrowly wide until on 25 minutes they took the lead. Good work down the right from Iwan Lewis and his pull back created a shooting opportunity for Sion Edwards used in a more central role today. The forward fired low from 18 yards to net just inside the post. :

The goal appeared to spark Holyhead into a response and on the half hour mark Paul Pritchard was in action for the first time in the game, going down well to halt Mel McGiness. Within a few minutes Pritchard was in the thick of the action going down at the feet of opponents twice in quick succession. Holyhead’s good spell continued and Mel McGiness met a deep Kenleigh Owen cross and his header looked goalbound only to be denied by another good Pritchard save.At half-time there was just the one goal separating the two sides but if chances had been taken there could have been more goals. :

Early in the second period Paul Pritchard was in the action again as Dan McGiness cut in from the right but denied by another good save from the keeper. Play was end to end as Shaun Cavanagh broke down the left and played it inside for Julian Williams but keeper Carl Jones dealt with the shot comfortably. But just past the hour mark Port gave themselves a big breathing space when they went 2-0 up. A good break from Rob Evans down the right holding off his marker to get a perfeectly weighted pull back for Iwan Lewis, in space 12 yards out and he coolly picked his spot. But once again the goal seemed to spark the visitors into an immediate response. Twice in the space of a minute they could have cut the deficit and both chances fell to John Littlemore. The first came from a cross to the back post and Littlemore’s goalbound header was brilliantly cleared off the line. Within a minute the same player lifted his shot over th bar when well placed. Hotspurs were not giving up and Mel McGinness sent a shot across the face of goal. But the Islanders were denied a way back into the game and in the closing stages it was Carl Jones in the action again diving full length to keep out an Ifan Emlyn effort and then turning Julian Williams’ shot round the post for a corner. :

Port deserved to take the three points as they continue the push for a top three finish and Paul Pritchrd earned his clean sheet. :

. Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams, Ceri James, Mike Sharples, Kieran Hilditch (Tomos Emlyn 69’) , Ifan Emlyn Jay Gibbs, Iwan Lewis, Shaun Cavanagh (ilan ap Gareth 71’), Julian Williams, Sion Edwards (Rob Evans 59’). Unused subs: Sion Parry, josh Banks. Yellow: Julian Williams 26’

Holyhead Hotspur: Carl Jones, Dan McGinness(Sam Ashworth 83), Kenleigh Owen, Caio Hywel, Alex Jones, Tomos Clarke, Jamie Roberts, Dean Garmey, John Littlemore (Rees Brown 73), Mel McGinness, Chris Jones (Corey Jones 83’) :

Referee:Dan Fogerty
Attendance: 259

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Cup Semi-Final -Saturday, 09 February 2019

Match Sponsor- I J PLASTERING, Porthmadog

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................... 0

AIRBUS BROUGHTON................. ...1
Oliver LanceleY 6’

Airbus took another step towards a League and Cup double at the expense of a well below pâr performance by Port. A sloppy goal, conceded just 6 minutes into the game, proved enough to shatter Port’s hopes of a Huws Gray Cup Final appearance to end the season. Despie having 84 minutes to get back on level terms, today Port lacked the flair to open up a resolute well-organised Airbus defence, and that, even though they enjoyed plenty of possession. The two clubs have played each other four times this season and, like all the others, this was another tight low scoring game. This semi proved a stark contrast to last night’s other high scoring semi-final!

Ifan Emlyn sent an early sighter over the Airbus bar after two minutes but it was the Planemakers, in virtually their first attack of the game who scored the goal that puts them through to the final. A break down the right by McGiloway, a deep cross to the back post where it was played inside, and it was Lanceley who got the final touch in a goalmouth scramble. The nearest Port came to getting back on level terms came from a good move where Sion Edwards put Julian Williams away down the left and the cross found Tomos Emlyn well placed 12 yards out but keeper Dave Roberts was down well to save. Following this Airbus came again and Gruff John cleared well under pressure from McGilloway amd a minute later Paul Pritchard had to touch McGinn’s 20 yard free kick over the bar. Play was falling well short of the scintillating football these teams played last week and even with possession Port were being restricted to efforts from distance from Shaun Cavanagh and Ifan Emlyn. Around the half hour mark Port came close twice. Mike Sharples had a header cleared off the line. Then, as Port continued to pressurise the Airbus defence, Julian Williams hit the side netting on the left and Tomos Emlyn, cutting in from the right, saw his dangerous angled shot tipped over the bar. At the other end Hamilton forced Paul Pritchard into a good save at his near post and with half-time approaching it was Hamilton again making a good turn in the box but lifting his shot narrowly over the bar. But the half ended with Airbus holding on to their early lead.

The second half proved a huge disappointment for Port as they failed to provide a eal threat against a tight defence and rarely troubled keeper Dave Roberts. With the visitors seeming largely content to sit back and abosrb any pressure, while looking to hit on the break as Port were increasingly forced to chase the game. The introduction of Rob Evans and the returning Jay Gibbs gave Port some temporary impetus but Tomassen and Clarke, at the heart of the Airbus defence, stood firm. The closest Port came to levelling the scores was when Sion Edwards tried one of his specials from 30 yards but this time it went narrowly wide of Roberts’ right hand post. The only other worry for Roberts was when Gruff John struck a 25 yard free kick which tested Roberts but diving full length to his left, he was able to divert it for a corner.As Port pushed forward in search of an equaliser the chances came for a second Airbus goal. Hitting on the break, Hamilton fired narrowly over the bar and had a shot well saved by Pritchard. With Lanceley put in on goal it needed a good tackle from Tomos Emlyn to clear the danger. A misplaced Port pass allowed Edwards to break on goal but Pritchard was smartly out to collect at the forward’s feet. There were several other counterattacks but Paul Pritchard was alert to the danager. Late on for Port, Rob Evans cut dangerously in from the right to put Gruff John in on goal but he lifted his shot over the bar. That proved to be the last chance for Port to take the game to extra-time and it will be Airbus who play, our next opponents, Holyhead Hotspur, in the final.

The game followed much the same pattern as the other three double headers the Huws Gray Cup threw up; against Conwy, Buckley and Airbus -one good performance and one poor one and this inconsistency proved decisive, in a game where there was little to choose between the two teams.

Phil Stead’s comment on Twitter tells us a lot about Port, “Port playing very attractive football again but final ball missing. Airbus functional and effective.” All about end product.

As usual Craig Papirnyk hit the nail on the head in his summing up, “ No words to describe that feeling after today’s result, we fell well below the standard we set ourselves as a group. We know how much it meant to this club and it’s supporters and we are gutted.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams, Ceri James (Jay Gibbs 56’), Mike Sharples, josh Banks, Tomos Emlyn, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Shaun Cavanagh 56’ (Rob Evans), Julian Williams, Sion Edwards. Unused subs: Jack Davies, Craig papirnyk (gk). Yellow: Ifan Emlyn 20’, Mike Sharples 82’.

Airbus: Dave Roberts, Brady McGiloway, Matt McGinn, Steve Tomassen, Phil Clarke. Lewis Buckley, Ryan Edwards, Oliver Lancdley. Asa Hamilton, Nathan Quirk(Tony Vickerey 78’), James Hooper (George Burrows 88’). Unused subs: Yellow: Phil Clarke 22’, Nathan Quirk 49’, Matt McGiven 88’.

Referee: Aaron Wyn Jones
Attendance: 225

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance:-Saturday, 02 February 2019

AIRBUS BROUGHTON ...............................1
Steve Tomasson 20’

CPD PORTHMADOG ................. ................1
Shaun Cavanagh 27’’

What a cracker of a game between two of the best footballing teams in the division. It was really refreshing to watch a game without a parked bus in sight as both sides committed to attack and went for it. The surprise, in such an open game, is that the only goals came from set pieces. Steve Tomasson scored the first for Airbus on 20 minutes but that lead lasted for just 7 minutes as a truly superb Shaun Cavanagh free kick levelled the scores.

Following a tentative start from both teams, Port got into their stride and, on 11 minutes, a quality crossfield ball from Julian Williams created a shooting chance for Shaun Cavanagh but his well struck shot went straight at keeper Dave Roberts. Periods of pressure followed, first at one end and then the other but without really working either keeper. In fact the first real Airbus effort on goal found the net. Paul Pritchard was given scant protection when Steve Tommasson rose unchallenged in the box to meet a Leo Riley free kick directing his header wide of the keeper. This was a disappointing lapse following a bright start from Port. But heads did not go down and very quickly they were deservedly back on level terms. And what a way to get back into the game. Awarded a free kick 22 yards out on the left of the box. Shaun Cavanagh stepped up and instead of crossing into the box he went directly for goal. Up it went, over the wall and zooming goalwards. Dave Roberts got a hand to it but it was not possible to keep it out. Port now powered forward and Shaun Cavanagh was brought down as he broke towards the box but this time the wall kept strong and the free kick was cleared. For the home team Curtis Strong was a danger, breaking down the left and one of his crosses broke across the face of goal begging for a finish. But minutes later Strong was carried off the field with a foot injury to be replaced by James Hooper. The half ended with a couple of efforts from Rob Evans, First he met a Tomos Emlyn cross at the back post with his header being collected by Roberts at the second attempt and again, following another good Port build up, Rob fired over the bar. 1-1 at the interval.

The second half proved even more entertaining than the first.An opening attack from the home side saw Sam Hart go close with a header. But just five minutes into the half and Port could well have gone ahead.Breaking at pace down the right, and Tomos Emlyn’s excellent cross found Iwan Lewis in space in the centre of the box. But, with the goal gaping, the ball was lifted over the bar.Shaun Cavanagh then fired a low shot narrowly past the post. These early events set the tone for a high tempo second period. Back at the Port end , Ryan Edwards took advantage of a misplaced pass, cut inside but his shot was deflected wide. Then followed a aeries of Port attacks, Wave after wave put the home defence under pressure as the two front men Julian Williams and Shaun Cavanagh ran the channels at pace. Shaun fired powerfully from 30 yards but narrowly over the bar, Gruff john burst forward, finding Julian Williams in the box but a well judged piece of defending averted a serious situation. Port supporters began to scent a goal as Ifan Emlyn and Iwan Lewis were making threatening runs from midfield and the introduction of Sion Edwards only increased the threat. When Julian Williams’s neat touch put Iwan Lewis in, it needed a full length save from keeper Roberts to touch for a corner. From the corner, Mike Sharples came close with a header.

But, after having to defend, it was Airbus’s turn to push forward using the width of the pitch. In search of the win they brought on Hamilton and Chaplin, their former Port strikers.Hamilton was soon in the action driving into the side netting. Nathan Woolfe, the on-loan signing from Connah’s Quay, crossed dangerously into the box but Paul Pritchard collected well at his near post. In fact both keepers were outstanding with Roberts playing a big part in keeping Port at bay in the second half while Paul Pritchard had looked safe under the high ball all afternoon. In the closing moments Shaun Cavanagh fired over th bar and Chaplin, for Airbus, broke dangerously goalwards but a perfectly timed tackle from Mike Sharples halted the threat.

Michael Gray’s whistle brought a highly entertaining game to an end. The good news is that they will be doing it all over again at the Traeth next Saturday in a Huws Gray Cup semi-final. Make sure you’re there.

Final word to Paps as usual, “Very enjoyable game today, two competitive sides going toe to toe with some real quality football on show, credit to both sides. Proud of the Port boys who come from behind and showed everything a manager would want to see from his players. Overall a fair point.”

Porthmadog: Faul Pritchard, Gruff J Williams, Ceri James, Mike Sharples, Josh Banks, Tomos Emlyn, Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Shaun Cavanagh Julian Williams, Rob Evans (Sion Edwards 64’). Unused subs: ilan ap Gareth, Kieran Hilditch, Yellow: Sion Edwards 75’,

Airbus: Dave Roberts, Danny Taylor, Curtis Strong, (James Hooper 43’), Steve Tommasson, Sam Hart, Kristian Platt, Ryan Edwards, Leo Riley (Asa Hamilton 72’), Nathan Woolfe, Lewis Buckley (Joe Chaplin 78’), Phil Clarke, Unused subs: Nathan Quirk, Matt McGinn,

Referee: Michael Gray.
Attendance: 245

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 26 January 2019

Match Sponsor: Pike’s Newsagents, Porthmadog

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................... 3
Dan Dascalu 20’
Rob Evans 64
Gruff J Williams 90’+4’

BUCKLEY TOWN................. ............3
Jake Roberts 39’, 62’
Shaun Tinsley 57’

A super late, late strike from Gruff John Williams secured a point for Port in a game played in atrocious weather conditions. Well done to both sets of players, putting on a game of quality despite the very wet slippery surface. Once again, it was a game where Port dominated possession but found it difficult to break down a well organised defence. All square in incessant rain at halftime, but two qiuck goals, early in the second-half, put the visitors 3-1 ahead leaving Port with a mountain to climb but a goal from Rob Evans kept them in the game and, with supporters resigned to dropping the 3 points, a goal deep into added time provided the lifeline.

From the start Port were on the front foot and early threats came from Julian Williams whose goalbound back post header was tipped over by keeper Makaruk with a fine reaction save. A minute later Shaun Cavanagh, following an Ifan Emlyn corner, struck inches over the bar and followed up with another shot this time inches wide of the post. Following these early attacks Buckley came into the game forcing a couple of Bellis corners which put Port under serious pressure, But Port continued to dominate possession and, with neat passing moves stretching the Buckley defence, it was no surprise when Port went ahead. The conditions played their part in the goal as defensive indecision allowed Dan Dascalu to fire in from a narrow angle with the ball going in off the back post. Port went looking for a second and Gruff John forced Makaruk into a good save. Buckley, however, looked dangerous on the break as they moved forward with pace but, nevertheless, when the equaliser came it did so as something of a shock. Jake Roberts caught out the home defence, breaking to the edge of the box and chipping a ball over Paul Pritchard into the far corner of the net. Port were stung into a response and following an Ifan Emlyn corner, Gruff John had a powerful shot deflected narrowly wide. The half ended with another Bellis corner being headed narrowly over the bar.

With the rain relenting at the start of the second period both teams went for it. Iwan Lewis came close for Port and Dan Dascalu had a shot deflected wide while at the other end Josh Jones was not far off target with an effort from 26 yards. Then, Port were stunned by two quick goals. The first came on 57’ minutes resulting from a quick break down the right and with the defence finding itself exposed. Tinsley timed his run into the box and met the cross, turning it into the net. Buckley were ahead for the first time but Port responded strongly Julian Williams came close and Hone saved a certain goal with a header off the line. But despite this Port were soon caught out by another quick break, this time down the middle, putting the defence under pressure, leaving Ceri James to make a last ditch desperate tackle and he was penalised on the edge of the box. The punishment was upped considerably when Jake Roberts stepped and cracked a 20 yard free kick beyond Paul Pritchard into the corner of the net.Soon after Pritchard was again in the action making a good diving save to keep out Aron Williams.

With over an hour gone Port had sonething of a mountain to climb but to their credit there was an immediate response. Two minutes after going 3-1 down Port threw themselves a lifeline. A quality Gruff John cross fom the left to the back post and Rob Evans, a few minutes after comimg on as sub, did really well to squeeze his header inside the post. It was game on and within five minutes home supporters were convinced that they should have been awarded a penalty for a foul on Rob Evans but the referee judged the offence to have occurred just outside the area. Port wre scenting a point at least, and Masaruk had to produce two remarkable saves to keep his team ahead. At full stretch he pushed away a Mike Sharples header for a corner and under pressure from the corner managed to palm away a goal bound effort. But the pressure was now unrelenting, into added time with defeat looking likely, Gruff John struck. Controlling well on the edge of the box he waited for a clear view of goal and when it came he drilled with power and accuracy into the bottom corner of the net. Less than a minute later referee Aled Williams whistled up for full-time.

An entertaining game in difficult conditions especially for defenders all adding to the excitement. Once again Port will feel disappointed that two points have been dropped leaving them in 5th spot in the table

Craig Papirnyk’s summing-up was: "Fantastic support, result wasn’t good enough for the numbers that turned out in the awful conditions! Credit to Buckley, battled and got the point they deserved, nowhere near good enough from us."

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn (Josh Banks 66’), Ceri James, Mike Sharples, Gruff J Williams, Ifan Emlyn (Kieran Hilditch 81’), Dan Dascalu, Ilan a[ Gareth (Rob Evans 59’), Iwan Lewis, Shaun Cavanagh, Julian Williams, Unused subs: Sion Edwards, Craig Papirnyk (gk). Yellow: Ceri James 51’, Julian Williams, Shaun Cavanagh 88’

Buckley: Joe Makaruk, Luke Blizzaed, Dylan roberts, Josh Jones, Callum Humphries, LewisHone. Aron Williams. Kerion Moore. Jake Roberts,. Aled Bellis (Phil Molyneuz 85’), Shaun Tilsley. (Adam Eden 90’) Unused subs: Luke Douglas, Rhys Jones. Yellow: Shaun Tinsley 89’.

Referee: Aled Rhys Williams
Attendance: 205

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance: Saturday, 19th January

RHYL FC............................................... 2
Barry Torrance 19’
Mike Pritchard 50’
CPD PORTHMADOG.............................1
Julian Williams 65’

A disappointing afternoon for Port at the Belle Vue, going down by the odd goal in a game where they dominated the possession and the general play. This against a Rhyl team who were set up to hit on the break. The scoreline tells us that the plan worked and means that Rhyl leapfrog into 3rd place while Port drop to 5th. The pattern of the game became clear from early on, with Rhyl conceding possession and territory to maintain a strong defensive shape with a 5-man backline. The home team went ahead after 19 minutes, following one of their surges up field and repeated thia soon after the interval with a classic counter attack. Port staged a fight back in the last half hour, cutting the lead and had Rhyl hanging on desperately. There was a late flash point during this period of intense pressure which left the visitors feeling hard done by. A Shaun Cavanagh shot from close in took a deflection and the ball appeared to cross the line by some distance before being hooked away. The referee waved play on and Rhyl went on to claim the double over Port.

Port started on the front foot and just 4 minutes in, Dan Dascalu fired over the bar after Shaun Cavanagh contributed to the build-up. Debutant Mike Sharples came close when he met a Sion Edwards corner but his header went narrowly over the bar. Rhyl were looking to hit on the break and a speedy break down the left from Hassell created a shooting chance for Murphy who was narrowly off target. Port should have gone ahead on 14 minutes with Sion Edwards and then Iwan Lewis setting up Rob Evans but the shot curled wide of Crowther’s far post. But despite the early Port pressure, it was Rhyl who went ahead in the 19th minute. They won a corner down the left and a deep ball to the back post was met by Barry Torrance and his clean header found the net. Against the run of play Port were behind but continued to push forward to test a tight home defence. Dan Dascalu won the ball in midfield to put Sion Edwards through but the shot went wide. Port were forcing numerous corners with Sion Edwards testing the home defence with a series of teasing efforts. Sharples, who was having a solid debut, came close at the back post from one of these. Rhyl continued to look for opportunities to break forward, and a ball from deep into the box was met by Cai Owen but his header went across the face of goal. Shortly after, the same player drove into the side netting. Another flurry of Port corners brought us up to half-time with the home side remaining 1-0 up.

An early 2nd half Port attack saw keeper Crowther palm away a high ball which fell for Dan Dascalu who was well placed but caught off balance and failed to get his shot away. A minute later a great ball from Iwan Lewis put Shaun Cavanagh in on goal but the angled shot flew wide of the post. But just as Port were threatening to get back on level terms, they were hit by a sucker punch. Five minutes into the 2nd period, with Port pushing up, Hassall burst free down the left and the retreating defence was caught out. A good ball into the box and Mike Pritchard was in the right place to finish off the smash and grab move. Rhyl were now in the driving seat with a two goal advantage to defend. Port responded strongly and Crowther did well to divert a Sion Edwarrds effort for a corner. With 65 minutes on the clock Port cut the deficit with Julian Williams netting 5 minutes after coming on. Sion Edwards set up the chance when his corner to the back post was headed back into the goalmouth and dropped for Julian, who finsihed from close range. The pressure continued with the home defence at full stretch holding on desperately. Dan Dascalu and sub ilan ap Gareth were getting through a huge amout of work setting up and prompting, A Tomos Emlyn shot was palmed for a corner and the same player cut the ball back for Shaun Cavanagh who fired over the bar from 18 yards. Rhyl continued to hit on the break with Peate going close at the back post and Paul Pritchard having to make a point blank save to deny Murphy. With ten minutes remaining Port felt that they had scored the equaliser their pressure and play deserved. But the referee faced with a difficult decision waved play on. It was not to be and Rhyl held out for the remaidner of the 90 minutes and the 4 minutes of added time.

Portmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn, Ceri James, Mike Sharples, Gruff J Williams, Ifan Emlyn (Ilan ap Gareth 60’), Dan Dascalu, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans (Julian Williams 60’), Shaun Cavanagh, Sion Edwards (Josh Banks 69’). Unused subs: Sion Parry, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Sion Edwards 34’.

Rhyl: Rory Crowther, Cai Owen, Gareth Partridge, Max Peate, Reece Fairhurst, Ben Nash, Barry Torrance (Kristian Pierce 54’), Mike Pritchard (Ross Stephens 76’), Matt Cook, Aaron Hassell (Sam Molyneux 70), James Murphy. Unused subs: Joe Sullivan, Jon Hill-Dunt. Yellow: Cai Owen 37’.

Referee: James Walker:
Attendance< 276:

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 12 January2019

Match Sponsor: TANRONNEN INN, Beddgelert

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................... ........2
Shaun Cavanagh 16’ (p), 26’

Flint Towb United ................ ....................2
Gerard Kinsella 55’, 76’.

Sorry to have to use such a worn out cliche but this really was THE game of two halves. The first was completely dominated by Port and, well before the half hour mark, they were deservedly two goals up and probably should have been out of sight by half-time. Shaun Cavanagh’s brace took him to 10 league goals and should have been added to, but instead Port went in at the interval still 2-0 up. The second-half was a total contrast with the Silkmen staging a furious fight back with new signing Gerard Kinsella having a dream debut, netting twice to give the visitors a share of the points which, after 45 minutes, had seemed most unlikely. But its unpredicdability is what makes football so entertaining,

Port started the game on fire, playing some of their best football of the season, forcing Flint back into their own half, closing them down quickly and setting up some really slick passing moves, The midfield quartet of Iwan Lewis, Ifan Emlyn, Dan Dascalu and Rob Evans were running the show and the only surprise was that the visitors defence was able to hold out for 16 minutes before they yielded a goal. It came on the back of a Port counterattack with Shaun Cavanagh breaking down the left and using his pace to get behind the high defensive line but, as he cut into the box, he was felled and referee Arthur Smallman pointed to the spot. Shaun Cavanagh himself took responsibilty driving low to Aaron Jones’ right and, though the keeper got a touch, he could not keep it out. Port were deservedly one-up and Shaun Cavanagh, following another neat Port move, lfted his shot over the bar. But there was not long to wait for Port to double their lead. Rob Evans drove a low cross into the box where Iwan Lewis got a touch and Shaun Cavanagh was on hand to score an opportunist goal from close range. Flint made no impact on this opening half and home keeper Paul Pritchard was never troubled, having no more to do than sweeping up at the back and taking an occasional goal kick. But Port failed to take full advantage of ther dominance and before the 90 minutes was up they would rue the lack of a third goal. Rob Evans had an opportunity following an Ifan Emlyn corner but sliced his shot wide. Flint were able to hold the score at 2-0 and they went in at half-time knowing that an early second-half goal would put them back into the game.

Predictably the visitors came out on fire and it was clear from the start of the second period that we were now in a very different game. The team, whose only threats had been a free kick or two, had, within two minutes, already forced a couple of corners where the tall figures of Richie Foulkes and Andy Brown were making their presence felt. 10 minutes into the half and the goal came, new signing Gerard Kinsella met the Burrows corner to head past Paul Pritchard. It was really game on now. Flint had upped the pace and there was no time to put a foot on the ball as passes went astray in a game without a pattern that was being played at 100 mph. Port were under pressure as they had never been in the opening half and Ceri james had to make a spectacular clearance while Andy Brown fired into the side netting. Port lost the services of their skipper Iddon Price as he pulled up suddenly in a foot race deep into his own half. It was no surprise really when the equaliser came on 76 minutes when the former Marine midfielder Gerard Kinsella scored his 2nd, driving low from the edge of the box with a deflection leaving Paul Pritchard a spectator. All to play for and it would have been little surprise if there had been more goals as both teams threw caution to the four winds. Port pushed forward in the latter stages looking for a third; Ifan Emlyn pulled his drive wide, Flint’s Richie Foulkes thundered an attempted clearance against his own crossbar and a Sion Edwards’ cross to the far post was only inches beyond the reach of Julian Williams. But after 6 minutes of added time both teams had to be satisfied with a point as scores remained level between the two for the 2nd time this season.

The point achieved falls short of the desired three needed by both clubs to keep pushing on at the upper end of the table. However, given the way the game went there was also more than a little relief at the end. Good to see anoher of the successful reserve squad getting time on the pitch as Jack Davies came on to play 20+ minutes.

Craig Papirnyk summed it all up like this: “Frustrating game today for Port, played some of our best football 1st half to becoming so disappointing in the 2nd! Credit to Flint grew into the game and got their reward. Giving away a 2-0 lead is not good enough and lessons learnt for us.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Tomos Emlyn, Ceri James, Iddon Price (Sion Edwards 61’), Gruff John Williams, Dan Dascalu, Iwan Lewis, Ifan Emlyn, Rob Evans (Jack Davies 67’), Shaun Cavanagh, Julian Williams. Unused subs: Sion Parry, Ilan ap Gareth, Craig Papirnyk. Yellow: Dan Dascalu 42’, Ceri James 90+.

Flint: Aaron Jones, Jake Hampson, Jack Welsh, Gerard Kinsella, Ieuan Hewitt, Andy Brown, Brandon Burrows, Richie Foulkes, Luke Blondel (Jack Higgins 82’), Mark Cadwallader (Ryan Smith 67'), Kyle Smyth. Unused sub: John Hill. Yellow: Ieuan Hewitt 16'.

Referee: Artur Smallman
Attendance: 246

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 05 January2019

Match Sponsor: Haydn Williams Chartered Surveyor

CPD PORTHMADOG ...................... ........4
Julian Williams 21’
Ifan Emlyn 61’,
Gruff J Williams 75’
Shaun Cavanagh 90’

CPD PENRHYNCOCH................ ..............2
Sion James 44’
Jonathan Evans 88’

A much improved second half performance was required to give Port the 3 points to maintan their 2nd place in the table. The win also takes advantage of an Airbus slip at the top, dropping points for the second successive weekend. Port were frustrated by the Roosters direct physical game for much of the opening half but in the 2nd period they slipped into their usual passing game to find the net three times with Shaun Cavanagh netting his 10th of the season and also providing an excellent assist for Gruff John’s goal.

Port made a slow start to the game with Sion Edwards’ dangerous ball across the face of goal the only threat to the visitoes’ goal. Penrhyncoch twice created chances in the opening 10 minutes which could have produced goals. In only the 6th minute a long, high ball into the box was well controlled by Liam Doherty but then he fired over the bar when well placed. Two minutes later a Jonathan Evans free kick produced a heading opportunity for Sion James, which went across the goal and wide of the far post. Another free kick produced a heading opportunity, this time for Ieuan Brooks and it needed the outstretched hand of keeper Paul Pritchard to push the ball to safety. Meanwhile Sion Edwatds was providing his usual threats and, when he lifted a dangerous free kick into the box, Julian Williams saw his header fly wide. The game was never able to flow as a stream of free kicks and appeals for almost everything disrupted play. Then with the best move of the game up to then Port went ahead. The build up down the right involved Gruff John and Iwan Lewis with Rob Evans driving a quality low ball towards the back post which Julian Williams turned in from close range. Soon after Iddon Price met a Sion Edwards corner but the header went straight to keeper Lee Jenkins. The spate of free kicks continued to break up play but with half-time approaching the visitors pushed for an equaliser Paul Pritchard saved from Foligno following one of these free kicks. With a minute remaining the equaliser came and, no surprise, it canme from a set piece. Corbisiero’s free kick broke in the box for Sion James who rifled it into the corner of the net to make it 1-1 at the interval.

From the start of the second half Port looked far more threatening, passing the ball quickly and using the whole width of the pitch. But the Roosters were looking a real threat on the break and on 57 minutes came close to catching Port out. A long ball forward brought Paul Pritchard out of his goal but an angled ball in from the left reached Corbisiero in a goalscoring position and it needed a timely intervention from Paul Pritchard who had raced back to his goal. Almost immediately there was a chance at the other end when Sion Edwards played in Shaun Cavanagh but the shot wemt wide of the target. But just past the hour mark Port went ahead again, A good move started and finished by Ifan Emlyn, with Sion Edwards and Rob Evans also involved in between. The young midfielder fired in from the centre of the box for a well worked, well taken goal. Port were now dominating play with good passing and movement. Twice Sion Edwards created gilt edged opportunities but both Julian Williams and Rob Evans fired over the bar. The third goal had to come and this time it was a Port set piece that delivered the goods. It looked like a rehearsed move that came off brilliantly. With the visitors’ defence expecting a high ball into the box, the second half sub, Shaun Cavanagh placed a low ball perfectly into the path of Gruff John who had stolen up on the blind side of the defence and, unopposed, steered his shot wide of Lee Jenkins to make it 3-1. But, just as home supporters thought they could relax a little, referee Mark James, with time running out, threw the Roosters a lifeline, awarding a penalty against Sion Edwards for a foul just inside the box; an award which was met with considerable protest. The kick from the spot was confidently converted by Jonathan Evans. 3-2 now but in added time Port made it 4-2 as Sion Cavanagh got in behind a Penrhyn defence appealing loudly for offside, The appeals were ignored and when it appeared as though Shaun Cavanagh had carried the ball too wide he somehow achieved the impossible, scoring with a shot from virtually the goaline to bring proceedings to a successful ending for Port.

Craig Papirnyk summed things up like this: “Proper battle today at the Traeth for Port. Penrhyncoch made a real game out of it and will feel unlucky not to get anything I’m sure. A good win for us that keeps us 2nd. Big game next week now to prepare for. Thanks for the great support again.”

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff John Williams, Ceri James, Iddon Price, Dan Dascalu (Tomos emlyn 87’), Ifan Emlyn, Iwan Lewis, Rob Evans, Julian Williams, Sion Parry (Shaun Cavanagh 46’), Sion Edwards. Unused subs: Ben Williams Math Roberts, Cai Henshaw. Yellow: Sion Edwards 88'.

Penrhyncoch: Leigh jenkins, Liam Lewis, Cledan Davies, Sion James, Jon Foligno, Luke Sherbon, Jonathan Evans, Josh Shaw, Liam Doherty, Ieuan Brooks, Antonio Corbisiero. Subs:B Florin, Rob Murfet, Gari Lewis, Freddie Thomas. Yellow: Jonathan Evans 45’, Cledan Davies 75’, Luke Sherbon 82’.

Referee: Mark James
Attendance: 218

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch â ni / Contact us