CPD Porthmadog FC
Cynghrair Undebol Huws Gray Alliance League

 Gartref / Home  Newyddion / News  Gemau / Fixtures  Canlyniadau / Results  Adroddiadau / Reports  Lluniau / Photos  Chwaraewyr / Players  Hanes / History  Cyfeiriadau / Directions  Siop / Shop  Archifau / Archive  Y Tabl / The Table  Trafod / Discussion  Academi / Academy  Ystadegau / Statistics  Erthyglau / Articles  Cysylltiadau / Links
| Caersws (a) | Denbigh (a) | Holyhead Hotspurs (a) | Airbus Broughton (h) | Holywell (a) | Penyffordd (WC) (h) | Caernarfon (HGC) (h) | FC Queens Park (h) | FC Penley (WC) (h) |

JD Welsh Cup Round 2.-Saturday, 4 November

Match Sponsor: THE ROOKYARD FAMILY, Tyldesley. Manchester.

CPD Porthmadog.............................10
Sion Bradley 22’. 82’ 87’(p)
Own goal 23’
Meilir Williams 36’, 61’, 77’
Josh Banks 40’
Julian Williams 60’, 90+2(p)

FC Penley ...........................................0

There was another goal feast at the Traeth today as Port went one better than last week to reach double figures and secure their place in the JD Welsh Cup 3rd Round draw. There were hat-tricks for both Sion Bradley and Meilir Williams and a double for Julian Williams as the Wrexham area club found today’s visit to Port one step too far in a season where they can take pride from reaching this stage in the competition for the first time in their history.

From the start it was clear that the visitors would pack their defence and make sure that there were plenty of bodies in the box as they tried to make life difficult for the Port attack. To an extent it can be said to have worked as Port took 22 minutes before they opened the scoring. It was clear from the start that Sion Bradley would cause problems galore for the visitors’ defence as he stretched his legs down the left and when Port did find the net it was no surprise that he was heavily involved. He initiated a quick one-two with Cai Jones and when he received the return deep in side the box a touch was enough to beat Penley keeper Adam Thomas. A minute later and Port were two up with Cai Jones this time combining with Tomos Emlyn whose low cross was turned into his own net by a retreating defender. Port went on to create more chances and it needed a good piece of defending from Adam Williams to clear Sion Bradley’s long range effort off his line. But Port managed to find the net twice more before the interval. First a well placed Ifan Emlyn free kick was turned into the net from close range by Meilir Williams. Then five minutes before the interval came the fourth of the afternoon when Josh Banks rose well at the near post to convert Sion Bradley’s corner. There could have been a 5th before the interval but Iddon Price was unlucky to see his header rattling the crossbar. The only time Penley threatened came when David Ward dispossessed Dan Roberts midway inside the Port half but as he broke goalward a timely tackle by Tomos Emlyn snuffed out any danger. 4-0 at half-time.

The second period saw the introduction of Julian Williams, following his suspension, and he did not take long to make his presence felt as he fired a shot from 18 yards which curled narrowly wide. We had to wait until the hour mark before Port added to their tally and again the goals came in pairs. Julian Williams took advantage of a good break by Jake Jones down the left and scored with low shot placed just inside the far post. Almost immediately Port netted their fifth when Sion Bradley raced down the right before switching the ball inside to provide Meilir Williams with a close range tap in. The same player found the net again to complete his hat-trick when Iddon Price’s excellent cross from the right found him unmarked at the back post. There were three more goals in the final 10 minutes of the game. Another good break from Jake Jones down the left opened up the Penley defence again, and his low cross allowed Sion Bradley to draw a defender and find the net from 8 yards. Bradley went on to complete his hat-trick after he was brought down in the box on another of his rampaging runs. He took the spot kick himself thumping it into the coner of the net. With the game into added time it was Sion Bradley being brought down again as he went on another mazy run. This time Julian Williams took the penalty and sent his shot straight down the middle for Port’s 10th goal of the afternoon. It brought an end to what had been a very difficult time for the Wrexham area club. Their only efforts of note came when soon after the interval Robert Ward broke to the edge of the box but Richard Harvey dealt comfortably with the shot. The nearest they came to a shock came when Craig Salisbury’s 30 yard free kick almost forced Richard Harvey back over his line.

Having played both rounds at the Traeth, Port will hope that when the names come out for Round 3 they will be at home again. This is the round when the WPL clubs enter the fray.

Next week it will be back to the league and Port will find the stubborn Penrhyncoch defence a very different proposition to break down. But with the return of leading scorer Joe Chaplin , who sat this one out, Port will be looking to continue their run of four straight wins scoring 24 goals and keeping three clean sheets.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Tomos Emlyn, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Steve Bratt (Lee Doran 46’), Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn (Ceri James 64’), Sion Bradley, Cai Jones (Julian Williams 46’), Meilir Williams, Jake Jones. Unused subs: Rob Evans, Joe Chaplin. Yellow: Julian Williams 70’.

FC PENLEY: Adam Thomas, Chris Davies (Gareth Williams 76’), Joe Bell, Leigh Salisbury (Jay Hughes 87’), Adam Williams, Mike Emery, Steve McDermott (Craig Salisbury 56’), Robert Ward, Ian Dobson, Stuart Williams, David Ward. Yellow: Chris Davies 33’, Stuart Williams 66’.

Referee: Dan Fogarty
Attendance: 169.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday 12 August

Match Sponsor: DEWI I ROBERTS Building Contractors

CPD Porthmadog..............................9
Cai Jones 11’, 54’ 56.
Joe Chaplin 15’, 69’
Steve Bratt 50’
Sion Bradley 55’
Meilir Williams 71’
Leon Doran 92’

FC Queen’s Park ...............................2
Barry Torrance 34’
Edgar Lima 64’

A bumper win for Port today in a game with 11 goals which included a hat-trick for Cai Jones and some top quality movement and scores. There could even have been more goals for Port for there was a missed penalty, clearances off the line and some clear chances missed but that is being greedy when we should just be satisfied with nine! Despite conceding heavily and looking very fragile at the back Queen’s Park did often look dangerous going forward and netted twice with two excellent efforts and with greater support wide man Edgar Lima could be a very dangerous attacker.

Port started on fire and were soon opening up the visitors’ defence and in the first 6 minutes they could have been four up had they taken their chances but instead Cai Jones and Joe Chaplin blasted two each over the bar. But the home side were not disheartened by their lack of accuracy as they went on to create further chances and went on to covert two of these. Cai Jones opened the xcoring after 11 minutes when he ran on to Iddon Price’s through ball and finished from 10 yards. Five minutes on and Port were two up when another through ball, this time from Sion Bradley put leading scorer Joe Chaplin in behind the defence and he beat Thurnham from 12 yards. Though they continued to threaten Port seemed to lose their rhythm after going two up early in the game and though there were blocks on the line and the keeper saving with his legs the visitors started to scent that they could get back into the game. Richard Harvey was in the action making a couple of saves and then after 34 minutes Queen’s Park hauled themseves back into the game, They broke on the left and switched the ball inside for Barry Torrance who found space on the edge of the box and struck a good low shot which found the corner of the net. Suddenly a game which they were winning so comfortably could be back in the melting pot. That is how the score remained at the interval 2-1 to Port.

Whoever did the talking at the interval in Craig Papirnuk’s absence it worked a treat, for Port came racing out of the traps and set to destroy their opponents. It took them five minutes to open up a 3-1 lead thanks to the unlikliest of scorers. This was the day Steve Bratt decided to break his duck and net his first one for the club. It would be great to report that it was a 30 yard thunderbolt but the reality was slightly different, it was a scramble following Sion Bradley’s corner, with Steve managing the final tocuh at the back post. That did not deter him from celebrating in style and why not! The goal did however open the floodgates and Port went on to score another three in as many minutes with Cai Jones completing his hat-trick. For his second goal Cai ran on to another Iddon Price through ball and his angled shot struck the foot of the post and into the net. For his hat-rick goal he chased down his own header forward and from a narrow angle on the right he netted with a super finish. In between Cai’s goals there was a well deserved one for Sion Bradley who fastened on to Gareth Jones Evans excellent through ball to net from 12 yards. Despite the battering they had undergone in the opening stages of the second period it was the visitors who were the next to score and it was a quality finish from Edgar Lima. He won the ball out on the left cut inside to the edge of the box and struck a beauty into the far corner of the net. Port soon had the chance to score from the spot but keeper Thurnman saved Joe Chaplin’s effort diving to his left, There were, however, three more goals for Port and though they were close range efforts they came as a result of quality build-ups. A mazy run from Gareth Jones Evans and his excellent low cross to the back post was converted by Joe Chaplin. Meilir Williams netted the 8th turning Sion Bradley’s cross into the net. In injury time Leon Doran rose well at the back post to head in Sion Bradley’s corner. This completed quite an afternoon at the Traeth.

Port remain in 7th place in the table but they keep themselves up with the chasing group and hopefully a good run can move them closer to the top two. A quick search suggests that this is Port’s biggest win since the promotion winning season of 2002/03 when they defeated Cemaes Bay by 9-0.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Tomos Emlyn, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts (Leon Doran 79’), Tom Taylor (Steve Bratt 38’), Ceri James, Gareth Jones Evans, Iddon Price, Joe Chaplin, Cai Jones ( Meilir Williams 62’), Sion Bradley. Unused subs: Jake Jones, Math Roberts (gk). Yellow: Ceri James 22’.

FC QUEEN’S Park: Callum Thurnman, Bennett Williams (Charlie Jones 34’), Andrew Hughes, Danny Myers, James Etherington, Nicky Chesters, James Gregory, Josh Bettley, Helder Ramos, Barry Torrance, Edgar Lima. Yellow:Nicky Chesters 54’.

Referee: Ellis Hughes
Attendance: 187.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Cup -Saturday, 21 October

Match Sponsor: Chippy Dre, Tremadog

CPD Porthmadog..............................2
Joe Chaplin 53’
Cai Jones 55’

Caernarfon Town ..............................0

A great Port performance putting out the Huws Gray Cup holders Caernarfon Town in what were difficult and testing conditions. Port looked well organised throughut, adapting well to the conditions and the two goals in the space of 10 second half minutes more or less sealed Port’s place in Round 2 of the Huws Gray Cup.

The wind was bound to have a huge bearing on the game and Caernarfon had the first use of it on their backs. They stormed forward from the kick off forcing Port back on deep defensive duty. In the 8th minute Danny Brookwell played a ball in from the right and Jamie Breese threatened with an overhead kick which flew wide. Richard Harvey was in the thick of the early action coming out well to block Chris Williams as he broke in one on one and soon after the keeper went down well to deny Jamie Breese. Port rode the early storm and Sion Bradley broke on the left to test Ramsay with a low angled shot. The Port defence recovered their composure well, settled down and with Tom Taylor coolly marshalling the troops at the back the visitors found further openings difficult to come by. In fact despite the elements Port grew stronger as the half went on. Alex Ramsey needed to pull off a good save to deny Cai Jones, after a well worked Ifan Emlyn free kick move. Then just before the interval Sion Bradley and Cai Jones combined to put Tomos Emlyn in on the left and his neat chip was only inches over. Port completed a model first half performance in windy conditions to deny Caernarfon a goal and to even create several threats of their own. Part two needed to follow -using the wind to produce the all important scoring opportunities.

Supporters did not have to wait long to see the home side go ahead. Just seven minutes in the half and Port were ahead. A controlled lob over the Caernarfon backline allowed Joe Chaplin to race on . He cut into the box on the right and beat the advancing Ramsey with a great low shot which entered the net off the foot of the far post. His 10th goal of the season. Home supporters had hardly got over their excitement at the opening goal when two minutes on and they were cheering another. The excellent Cai Jones got the goal his all round performance deserved. He received the ball in the centre of a crowded box, turned his marker creating space to fire home from 12 yards netting his 6th of the season. Caernarfon lost the services of injured Jamie Breese to be replaced by Jay Gibbs. Port were now left to look for a third goal which would kill off the game while Caernarfon knew that a goal from them would open things up again. The visitors pushed forward and when the ball was given away at the back it needed a great Tomos Emlyn tackle to halt Chris Williams on the edge of the box. Richard Harvey saved from Clive Williams at his near post and it reqired a Dan Roberts header under pressure to complete the clearance and that was just about the closest they came to a goal. Though the same player fired wide after picking up a loose ball. The best of the later chances for the visitors came when Jay Gibbs played in Danny Brookwell on the left but a good effort went narrowly over the bar. Though the wind dropped towards the end of the second half Port could have gone further ahead as they created a couple of very good chances. Tom Taylor went on a 50 yard run down the left from deep in his own half and played in Sion Bradley whose shot from close range was only inches wide. Then with time running out Sion Bradley, after receiving from Jake Jones, was again denied, this time by an excellent Ramsey save. But in the event no further goals were needed as Port ran out well deserved winners.

This was an excellent team effort with the lads at the back setting a superb example denying Caernarfon a goal in the opening half against the elements and then going on to maintain a clean sheet. They built through the three in midfield and when the goals were needed the forwards came up trumps with quality finishes.

A well deserved word of praise for referee Mr Pratt who correctly allowed the game to proceed and went on to officiate in an effective, unobtrusive manner and without waving a clutch of coloured cards.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Tomos Emlyn, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Tom Taylor, Gareth Jones Evans (Jake Jones 86’), Iddon Price, Ifan Emlyn, Cai Jones, Joe Chaplin (Meilir Williams 90’). Unused Subs: Ceri James, Steve Bratt, Leon Doran, CAERNARFON: Alex Ramsey, Joe Williams, Chris Williams, Rhys Roberts, Gareth Edwards, Kevin Roberts (Aaron Davies Thomas 79’), Clive Williams, Ryan Williams, Jamie Breese (Jay Gibbs 54’), Danny Brookwell, Nathan Craig. Unused subs: Telor Williams, Liam Jones. Yellow: Rhys Roberts.

Referee: Nick Pratt.
Attendance: 259.

Gareth Williams
J D Welsh Cup Round 1 -Saturday 07 October 2017

Match Sponsors: Maria, Martin and Simon Rookyard, Tyldsley, Manchester.

CPD Porthmadog..............................3
Meilir Williams 18’(p), 72’
Cai Jones 34’

Penyffordd Lions ..............................0

Penyffordd Lions had their day out at the Traeth having created history and defied the odds to reach the first round. To their credit they brought with them a good number of travelling supporters. No doubt the North East Wales League club will alo be pleased to have kept the scoreline to a more than respectable level. This was in part thanks to their keeper Nick Owen, who pulled off a series of excellent saves especially in the second half when Port piled on the pressure. But the main contributory factor for keeping the score to just three goals was the wasteful response of Port forwards to the numerous excellent chances created. Though they had a virtual monopoly of possession It took them until the 72nd minute to net a third goal and seal a place in the 2nd Round.

The game started with the Lions looking lively in the opening minutes but Port soon got into their stride and might have scored twice in the opening 10 minutes. Sion Bradley turned a good ball inside for Meilir Williams whose shot was well saved by keeper Nick Owen at his near post. A cross from the right by Rob Evans soon followed, and allowed Sion Bradley to try his luck and his shot was only narrowly over the bar from 16 yards. Life was made more difficult for the visitors when they conceded a penalty. Tom Taylor, up for Ifan Emlyn’s corner, was brought down and Meiir Williams tucked away his spot kick wide of keeper Owen’s left hand. Port continued to dominate and there were further efforts from Meilir Williams and Gareth Jones Evans. But after 34 minutes Port got their second following a good break down the left from Sion Bradley taking on two defenders before slipping the ball insdie for Cai Jones who had time to pick his spot and drill a low shot across the keeper into the far corner. The chances continued to come but were not converted. A good exchange of passes between Meilr Williams and Leon Doran with Doran firing the return pass narrowly wide of the far post. An even better chance came just ahead of the interval with this time Doran supplying the cross for Cai Jones but at the back post he lifted his close range shot over the bar. Despite spurning several good opportunities Por still held a comfortable 2-0 advantage at the interval.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first with even more and better chances being created during the second 45. Just two minutes after the restart Port should have got their third when Meilir Williams failed to convert from close range after a good ball in from Gareth Jones Evans. Though they were very much in charge, controlling midfield and enjoying a huge advantage of possession, while score remained 2-0 home supporters continued to feel uneasy as one break would bring the Lions back into the game. Indeed ten minutes into the half the visitors produced their only efforts on goal. First a slip by Tom Taylor on the wet surface allowed Marcus Davies to break forward, but he took his shot early and lifted it well over the bar. Two minutes on and Richard Harvey had to make his only real save of the game. A free kick from Garth Higgins broke for Adam Pugh on the right of the box and the defender drove low but Richard Harvey was down well to save. Following this warning the chances came thick and fast for Port. Meilir williams touched on a Sion Bradley cross for Cai Jones whose shot went narrowly wide of the angle. Iddon Price broke through to supply Tomos Emlyn whose shot was well saved by keeper Nick Owen. Tomos Emlyn then pulled the ball back for Meilir Williams whose shot thumped against the near post. The same player was denied again by another good save from Owen. Eventually the all important third goal came in the 72nd minute with Cai Jones the supplier. He released Meilir Williams into the box with a good angled ball and this time the striker drove low with power at last beating the excellent Nick Owen. To the end the chances kept coming. A top quality ball in from Jake Jones should have been converted and Jake himself thumped one narrowly past the post.

The important thing in a Cup-tie is to get your name into the hat for the next round and this was duly achieved. Looking at the results the clubs from lower divisions have done themselves justice with Llandudno Albion causing the shock of the round putting out Rhyl. On to Round Two!

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Leon Doran, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Tom Taylor, Gareth Jones Evans (Tomos Emlyn 64’), Ifan Emlyn, Iddon Price, Rob Evans (Cai Jones 11’), Meilir Williams, Sion Bradley (Jake Jones 58’). Unused subs: Joe Chaplin, Steve Bratt, Tyler French (gk), Matty Hupperdine.

PENYFFORDD: Nick Owen, Dan Shaw, Garth Higgins, Dan Lee, Adam Pugh, Mark Gallagher, Richard Lawrence, Marcus Davies, Liam Hughes, Matt Holmes, Sam Richardson. Used subs: Lee Acott, Stu Tunnicliffe. Unused: Tom Davies.

Referee: David Wright
Attendance: 172.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance Saturday, 20 September

Holywell Town..........................2
Matty Kendrick 37;
Jamie McDaid 62’

CPD Porthmadog......................0

It was one of those games where Lady Luck turned her back firmly against Port today. After just five minutes Cai Jones had to leave the field with a nasty foot injury and then just as they seemed to be gaining control of the game, Julian Williams received a straight red card from referee Alex Livesey for a mistimed tackle on Wellmen defender Matty Kendrick. Despite having to play with 10 men for over an hour, Port battled away and played plenty of good football but goals win matches and the home team found the net twice from fewer chances and to rub it in further the goal which settled the game came from former Port forward Jamie McDaid just past the hour.

The injury to Cai Jones apart, Port started the game well with Sion Bradley in particular providing the early threats. After just 7 minutes the wideman broke down the left and opened up the home defence slipping the ball through for Meilir Williams but keeper Joe Griffiths was out smartly to snuff the danger, A good turn by Bradley followed, with a cross to the near post which was scrambled away for a corner. Sam Jones responded with an angled shot which flew over the bar, But Sion Bradley continued to have a big influence on the game and his pass inside for Julian Williams led to a low shot from 18 yards which was only inches the wrong side of the post. Ifan Emlyn was also narrowly wide following a corner. Almost immediately though Richard Harvey was in action for the first time saving well at his near post from Graeme Williams and Steve Lewis fired over the bar. Then came the incident which changed the game; Julian Williams saw red after a mistimed tackle on Matty Kendrick. Then, with more than an hour still left to play, a game which Port were beginning to control now became an uphill battle. But despite this Port could have gone ahead when Tom Taylor met a Sion Bradley corner which was scrambled off the line, Things then took a definite turn for the worse as Holywell got their noses in front. Matty Kendrick met a deep corner from the left and was able to direct his header wide of Richard Harvey. 1-0 to Holywell and that’s how it remained at the interval.

For the second half Port brought on Iddon Price in an unaccustomed role up front to replace Meilir Williams. Port started the second period strongly with Gareth Jones Evans and Rob Evans providing a threat down the right and it was Gareth Jones Evans who came close meeting a Josh Banks crossfield ball and lifting his shot over the bar. Port continued to push forward and Ifan Emlyn had a low shot cleared off the line. Despite some good build up play from Port and clever prompting from Ceri james and Ifan Emlyn the all important equaliser refused to come. Holywell were a danger on the break and it needed an excellent Tom Taylor tackle to keep out Sam Jones as he bore down on the Port goal. A minute later and Matty Harvey met a corner from the left but his header went wide. On 62 minutes Holywell scored an all important second goal. Tom Taylor had stopped a break by the Wellmen with a timely tackle then gave the ball away. Jamie McDaid was on hand and punished the error with a cracker from 20 yards into the top corner of the net. The mountain got steeper and though Gareth Jones Evans lifted an excellent ball to the far post, Iddon Price failed to get enough power on his header to trouble the keeper and then when Tom Taylor met a corner his header drifted wide of the target. Close to the end Holywell could have netted a third but Sam Jones headed wide at the back post. It was not Port’s day and a red card and another addition to the injury list will not help preparations for the Welsh Cup tie.

The 4th defeat of the season sees Port drop to 7th place in the table and will need to gain greater consistency to move back up. Next week it will be Welsh Cup day when Penyffordd will visit in Round 1.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Rob Evans, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Tomos Emlyn 72), Dan Roberts, Ifan Emlyn, Tom Taylor, Sion Bradley, Meilir Williams (Iddon Price 46’), Cai Jones (Gareth Jones Evans 5’), Julian Williams. Unused subs: Leon Doran, Tyler French (gk). Red: Julian Williams 29’. Yellow: Rob Evans, Tom Taylor 58’, Ceri James 60’.

HOLYWELL TOWN: Joe Griffiths, Phil Lloyd, Matty Kendrick (Steve Thomas 38’), Danny Desormeaux, Matty Harvey, Gareth Sudlow, Graeme Williams ( Jack Pennington 88’), Paul Williams, Sam Jones, Steve Lewis, Jamie McDaid (Darren Gowans 86’). Unused subs: Jake Cook, John Haseldin.

Referee: AlexLivesey (Wrexham)
Attendance: 223.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 23 September

Match Sponsor: Bernie Smith, Pwllheli

CPD Porthmadog..............................2
Joe Chaplin 24’, 35’

Airbus Broughton ..............................1
Mark Jones 29’

Port bounced back with a vengeance this afternoon to topple league leaders Airbus with a memorable team performance. Airbus came to the Traeth on the back of five straight wins, while Port came to the game following a troubled week. Joe Chaplin took both his chances coolly in the opening half taking his season’s tally to 9 goals but his afternoon then took a downturn when he hobbled off with a pulled hamstring. In the latter stages Port defended superbly and Richard Harvey, excellent throughout, made some top quality saves. The three points move Port back up to 3rd p[ace in the table and proves again how competitive this league is going to be.

Port started the game strongly, moving the ball about well and looking confident. But it was Airbus who should have struck first after 10 minutes, when the ball was given away in midfield. The visitors pushed forward and Aaron Bowen broke into the box but, with only Richard Harvey to beat, he fired wide. Port responded and Joe Chaplin met a cross from the left but his shot was well blocked. Play was end to end and Steve Tomassen met Steff Edwards cross to the back post but Richard Harvey tipped the effort over the bar. Then in a ten minute spell all three goals came. It was Joe Chaplin for Port who struck first and it came as a result of an excellent move with Chaplin and Sion Bradley combiing well. Chaplin received just inside the Airbus half and switched play with an angled ball for Sion Bradley to race on to. Bradley in turn crossed superbly to reach Chaplin who had continued his run into the box and finished coolly from 10 yards. The lead howver proved shortlived as Airbus struck back four minutes later. Aaron Bowen got his head to a cross from the right and Mark Jones latched on to the dropping ball and drilled a powerful shot from 18 yards to level the scores, A couple of minutes on and Port came close to netting their second. Sion Bradley broke well to the byline on the right and lifted his pass back for the advancing Ceri James whose header was only narrowly the wrong side of the post. But supporters did not have long to wait before their team got their noses in front again. It was a goal which summed up the Port spirit as Julian Williams charged down an attempted clearance and the ball broke loose for Joe Chaplin, in space just outside the Aitbus box. He broke into the area, drew the keeper and coolly netted from 12 yards. Having played such a key part in forging the Port lead it was disappointing to see him limp off the pitch after 43 minutes, holding his hamstring, There was one last effort at both ends. For the visitors again it was a Wes Baines cross this time to the near post but Bowen’s header went wide. While Ifan Emlyn, for Port, cracked a 25 yard free kick only narrowly off target. So it was 2-1 to Port at half-time.

Though there were no additions to the score in the second half the game did not lack excitement or quality as both teams battled to secure the three points. Meilir Williams was on for the unfortunate Joe Chaplin and he was soon in the action. Ifan Emlyn put him through and he took his shot early but keeper Andy Coughlin pulled of a good save turning it round the post for a corner. But there were periods in the second half when Port had to prove their defensive quality and with determined blocks and tackles they kept their opponents at bay, When the Airbus attacks got beyond the defensive line Richard harvey was in superb form as last line of defence. It was a whole team defensive rearguard when needed with forwards Sion Bradley, Julian Williams and Cai Jones all playing their part. On the hour a cross from Steve Tomassen gave Fosu-Mensah a sight on goal but he fired into the side netting. In fact the highly regarded forward was well marshalled by the home defence. The visitors continued to put Port under pressure. There was a shot from Wes Baines which Harvey again dealt with and a series of dangerous corners but the defence held firm. Port then mounted several strong attacks of their own. Meilir Williams had a shot deflected for a corner and Julian Williams tested the keeper with a curling shot. There was one final effort from the visitors as Bowen met a cross from the right and his shot took a deflection to which Harvey responded superbly to pull off an outstanding save,

The game ended rather acrimoniously with Airbus' Ashley Williams receiving a late yellow card for dissent and then as the players made their way to the dressing rooms Bayley Jackson saw red, again for further dissent. But for Port and for Craig Papirnyk it was a good day that is apart from the injuries to Joe Chaplin and Tommy Taylor.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Rob Evans, Josh Banks, Ceri James ( Iddon Price 66’), Dan Roberts, Tom Taylor (Leon Doran 68’), Ifan Emlyn, Julian Williams, Joe Chaplin (Meilir Williams 43’) Cai Jones, Sion Bradley. Unused subs: Gareth J Evans, Tyler French (gk).

AIRBUS BROUGHTON: Andy Coughlin, Wes Baines (Bayley Jackson 81’) Steff Edwards, Steve Tomassen, Mark Jones (James Crowther 68’), Kristian Platt, Ryan Edwards, Ashley Williams, Aaron Bowen, Alfons Fosu-Mensah, Pavel Vieira (Leo Riley 55’).Unused subs: Gethin Lloyd, Ronnie Song. Red: Bayley Jackson. Yellow: Kristian Platt 49',James Crowther 89’, Ashley Williams 90 (+4).

Referee: Mike Gray
Attendance: 239

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance Wednesday 20 September

Holyhead Hotspurs ...................3
Kenleigh Owen 40’
Ryan Taylor 55’
Mel McGinness 69’

CPD Porthmadog.......................0

On a night of atrocious weather conditions strong winds and swirling, sweeping rain, local knowledge and experience paid off as the home team used the conditions to their advantage and far better than Port. On a ground where high winds are not strangers, the Hotspurs established a winning lead during a second half with the wind on their backs netting twice to consolidate the advantage of the one goal they held at the interval, thanks to a Kenieigh Owen free kick. A deserved win for the Hotspurs as they repeated the victory gained at the Traeth in the Nathaniel MG Cup.

Just three minutes into the game Hotspurs could have gone ahead when Kenleigh Owen shot across the face of goal with keeper Richard Harvey on the ground. But Port recovered quickly after the let off and Ceri James fired from 25 yards only narrowly over the bar. Hotspurs enjoyed some early pressure, forcing a couple of corners and then Kenleigh Owen met a good cross from the right but his header went past the post. Gradually Port got a foothold in the game with Sion Bradley cutting across from the left and squaring the ball for Julian Williams who drilled a shot from 15 yards but home keeper Paul Pritchard pulled off a good save. It was a half of few real chances with Port edging it slightly but they were not able to make the wind advantage tell. On the half hour mark Joe Chaplin fired wide of the post folllowing a Ceri James free kick. Neither goal keeper was unduly troubled but five minutes from the break Holyhead went ahead, A misplaced pass put pressure on Dan Roberts as Hotspurs mounted a counterattack and he was forced to give away a free kick 25 yards out. Kenleigh Owen struck, and his shot over the wall held up in the wind and curled inside Richard Harvey’s left hand post. Port responded with a well struck Sion Bradley free kick but Paul Pritchard went down well to gather at his near post. It was a half where the weather conditions had dictated the game. Holyhead went in ahead at the interval in the knowledge that they could capitalise on their advantage with the wind on their backs.

Port went on the attack after the interval with Sion Bradley and Josh Banks combining well down the left but Paul Pritchard was out well to save under pressure from Joe Chaplin. But ten minutes into the half Holyhead doubled their advantage. It was a rather fortuitous goal when a clearance took a deflection into the path of Ryan Taylor who had only Richard Harvey to beat from close range. The Hotspurs were now firmly on top. There was a fierce angled shot from Kenleigh Owen across the face of goal and Richard Harvey did well to get a hand to a McGinness cross and divert it away. Port had to battle to defend, as several corners were swung dangerously into the goalmouth and their only threat during this period came via a Sion Bradley cross which came down on the crossbar. But with 69 minutes gone Mel McGinness struck with a fine individual goal. Cutting inside from the left, he fired across Richard Harvey with the ball striking the foot of the far post and into the net. A three goal advantage surely meant game over and that’s how it turned out. Even a second yellow and dismissal for Hotspurs defender Alex Jones could not change the pattern of the game. Port pushed forward, used all three subs but it was a case of too little too late as they failed to cause Paul Pritchard any great problems. The only worthwhile save he had to make in the closing stages came from Joe Chaplin as he met a good Julian Williams cross.

A deserved win for Holyhead, on a night when the weather made entertaining passing football an impossibility. This second successive defeat, though far too early for any alarm bells to be sounded is a worry. Re-grouping and a fresh focus will be needed before we meet the league leaders Airbus on Saturday.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Leon Doran (Cai Jones 56’), Josh Banks, Ceri James (Gareth J Evans 76), Dan Roberts, Iddon Price, Rob Evans, Ifan Emlyn (Meilir Williams’), Julian Williams, Joe Chaplin, Sion Bradley. Unused subs: Tyler French (gk), Jake Jones, Yellow: Ceri James, Rob Evans, Dan Roberts.

Holyhead Hotspurs: Paul Pritchard, Dan McGinness, Kenleigh Owen, Corey Jones, Alex Jones, Reece Brown, Mike Kelly, Dean Garmey, Tom Clarke, Mel McGinness, Ryan Taylor. Subs: John Littlemore, Gavin Sharpe Kyle Murphy, Merfyn Williams(gk).

Referee: Rhys Ryder
Attendance: 157.

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance -Saturday, 16 September

Match Sponsor: GREY Slate and Stone, Porthmadog

CPD Porthmadog..............................3
Julian Williams 44’
Sion Bradley 58’
Josh Banks 87’

Denbigh Town ...................................4
Josh Davies 36, 54’’
Warren Duckett 54’
Danny Sullivan 57’

Port again failed to reproduce their form on the road back at the Traeth. They will be left to rue the defensive errors, especially with former leading scorer Josh Davies in the opposition ranks picking up the pieces pouncing to score two opportunist goals. Denbigh were clearly the better team in the opening half but, despite a much improved second half performance, conceding twice very early in the second half gave Port too much to do.

The visitors started strongly and Richard Harvey needed to pull off a good save to keep out Matt Cook’s well struck 25 yard effort. They continued to pressurise the home defence as they enjoyed a greater sare of possession. But after 15 minutes Port did get the ball into the net but Cai Jones was ruled offside. The same player was in the action controlling a Josh Banks cross but his shot on the turn was well blocked by keeper Hilll-Dunt. Denbigh continued to enjoy good periods of pressure winning several free kicks in dangerous positions and also forcing a number of corners. Richard Harvey saved a well struck Sullivan free kick diverting it for a corner. Pritchard fired narrowly wide and it needed a well timed tackle from Gareth Jones Evans to halt another good Denbigh move. It was no surprise when the visitors went ahead on 36 minutes. Craig Pritchard found plenty of space to cross from the right and, though Richard Harvey got a hand to Warren Duckett’s downward header, Josh Davies was on hand to take the scraps and score from close in. Port despite being second best in the opening half appeared to have dug themselves out of the hole with a 44th minute equaliser when Julian Williams struck powerfully from 15 yards. But Denbigh responded immediately breaking down the right, another Craig Pritchard cross and this time Warren Duckett scored from close range. Denbigh went in 2-1 ahead at half-time.

There was a flurry of goals at the start of the second period and on 54 minutes a misplaced pass gifted the visitors a goal to put them 3-1 ahead. Craig Pritchard picked up the loose pass and bore down on goal, Richard Harvey at full stretch kept out his shot but could do nothing to prevent Josh Davies netting from 6 yards. Things got even worse just three minutes later when Port conceded a free kick on the edge of the box and a Danny Sullivan screamer beat the wall and Richard Harvey to make it 4-1 to the visitors. With a mountain to climb Port, to their credit struck bsck immediately with a well worked move started by Ceri James. The ball reached Cai Jones in a central position and he switched the play to Sion Bradley on the left. The forward cut inside and netted with a fine angled shot from 16 yards. He was in the action again immediately as he chased down a lost cause and forced Hill-Dunt into a good save at the near post. Hill-Dunt was tested again when Julian Williams struck a 25 yard free kick which was held at the second bite. With time running out Port refused to give up on the game and Meilir Williams worked a great opening for himself. He received from Rob Evans, turned his marker brilliantly and headed goalwards. Taking the shot, perhaps a little early, as it went across the face of goal with home supporters, behind the goal, holding their collective breaths. Port’s third goal did come on 87 minutes when Julian Williams lifted a good cross to the back post and Josh Banks made a late run into the box to head powerfully past Hill-Dunt. 4-3 with minutes left but that was as good as it got for Port this afternoon, as Denbigh held out to take a deserved three points.

Port started the afternoon without the central defenders who performed so well last week, as both Dan Roberts and Tom Taylor were unavailable. The lack of form at the Traeth provides further worries. The one win in five home fixtures this season is hard to explain, given the goals scored in the two away fixtures. There will be an early chance to put things right with a visit to Holyhead on Wednesday night, though that will certainly not be an easy option.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Rob Evans, Leon Doran, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Steve Bratt 75’), Gareth Jones Evans (Ifan Emlyn 56’), Juian Williams, Cai Jones (Meilir Williams 71’}, Joe Chaplin, Sion Bradley. Subs not used: Tyler French (gk), Jake Jones, Yellow: Josh Banks 13’, Ceri James 65’.

DENBIGH TOWN: Jon Hill-Dunt, Rakim Newton, Nathan Williams, Danny Sullivan, Ben Nash, Matt Cook, Kristian Pierce (Jake Eyre 67’), Steve Cunningham, Warren Duckett (Lewys Turner 81’), Josh Davies, Craig Pritchard. Unused sub: Liam Smith. Yellow:Ben Nash 63’.

Referee: Andy Harms
Attendace: 232

Gareth Williams
Huws Gray Alliance Saturday, 9 September

Caersws FC...............................2
Phil Jones 86’, 88’

CPD Porthmadog......................5
Cai Jones 15’
Joe Chaplin 17’, 21’, 43’
Meilir Williams 89’

Three goals in six minutes in the opening quarter of the game put Port in the driving seat at the Recreation Ground this afternoon. Cai Jones set the ball rolling after 15 minutes and Joe Chaplin scored the other two before going on to complete a first half hat-trick just before the interval. Meilir Williams added the 5th late on for his third of the season from the bench. Even yielding two disappointing late goals failed to take the shine off what was an excellent Port performance with some top quality goals and assists. .

Play was fairly even in the opening stages but Port struck after 15 minutes when Ceri James took advantage of the home team’s high defensive line, to slip a trademark through ball for Cai Jones to run on to and race on 30 yards into the box, drawing the keeper and rolling a low shot into the net. Two minutes later there was a virtual carbon copy of the move. This time with debutant Tom Taylor provided the through pass for Joe Chaplin to race on to and charge forward into the box on the right beating keeper Luke Evans at his near post with a blast from 15 yards which ended high in the net. Four minutes on and Chaplin was on the scoresheet again this time capitalising on good work by Sion Bradley down the left, meeting the cross with an acrobatic diving header at the back post. Port were totally in control now and apart from a couple of efforts from Lance Jones Caersws rarely threatened. Port could have gone further ahead when a goalbound Josh Banks header was bizarrely kept out by the back of Joe Chaplin’s head! Sion Bradley, following yet another good break, had his shot deflected into the side netting and the same player was only narrowly too high with a back post header. With time running out in the opening half Joe Chaplin completed a hat-trick, fastening on to another Ceri James assist, this time a neat chip over the defence for the striker to run on to and score from close range. A comfortable 4-0 advantage for Port at half-time. .

The scoreline not surprisingly took a little of the edge off Port’s second half performance though they continued to dominate possession, passing the ball around well and still creating further chances. Five minutes into the second period Josh Banks put Cai Jones through one on one with the advancing keeper Luke Evans who pullled off a good block. Caersws looked more of a threat than in the opening half and Lance Jones tested Richard Harvey with a low shot from the edge of the box and following this it required cool defending from Ceri James when Jake Parr crossed in from the right. Compared with free scoring the first half play in the second period was more restrained. Midway through the half a good exchange of passes between Sion Bradley and Joe Chaplin led to a shooting opportumity for Chaplin which he fired over the bar. With supporters on both sides settling for no additions to the first half score there was a sudden flurry of action at the end. A further three goals were scored in the last five minutes. 64th minute Caersws sub, Phil Jones, scored a couple of late consolations for the home team. For the first, five minutes from time, he latched on to a loose ball on the right and drove into the box, netting with a well place low shot and two minutes later took advantage of a Richard Harvey spill failing to hold on to Tom Bethell’s shot from 25 yards netting from close in. Port responded immediately for their fifth of the afternoon with Sion Bradley breaking quickly into the Caersws half and a fine angled ball put Meilir Williams in on goal to score with a low shot from 15 yards. .

A good win and a quality performance gave Port three points on a ground which has not yielded too many points in the past. A great debut for Tom Taylor at centre back, which further increases Craig Papirnyk’s defensive options.The win takes them into 2nd place in the table behind leaders Airbus and ahead of Caernarfon and Guilsfield on goal difference. The table also shows that Port are the league’s leading scorers with 17 goals! On now to take on Denbigh Town at the Traeth next Saturday. .

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Dan Roberts, Tom Taylor (Jake Jones 78’), Rob Evans, Ceri James, Gareth Jones Evans (Ifan Emlyn 64’), Sion Bradley, Joe Chaplin (Meilir Williams 73’), Cai Jones. Unused subs: Tylor French (gk), Craig Papirnyk.

CAWRSWS: Luke Evans, Jake Parr, Jack Hughes, Ellit Jones, Gavin Samuel, Graham Jones, Rhydian Davies, Lance Jones, Steve Blenkinsop, Luke Sherbon, Craig Whitfield. Used subs: Phil Jpones. Tom Bethell. Unused: Luke Vickers, Graham Evans. .

Referee: Ashley Jones (Penycae)
Attendance: .

Gareth Williams


Cysylltwch ‚ ni / Contact us